Diglot
Ireland
Joined 6097 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 7
30 January 2014 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
I’ve been trying to think up a personal challenge that would guarantee your reach B2 and maybe even C1 from scratch. The idea of the challenge is would run for a number of years, or it would be an extremely intensive year. Some ideas I’ve had are,

1,000 Days – Study the target language for at least an hour a day for 1,000 days. Anything less than an hour doesn’t count, and more than an hour is still just one day. This would be quite easy to track.
1,000 Hours x 3 – Complete 1,000 hours each of listening, reading, and writing. Tracking time spent over this period would be a challenge.
100,000 pages – Read at least 100,000 pages in the target language, similar to the Super Challenge. This assumes at least A2\B1 skills to start.
10,000 sentences – Use an SRS to learn off 10,000 sentences including cloze deletions, L2-L2, etc.
500 hours of conversation – Just count the hours spent speaking the language. This assumes you’ll do a lot of additional study outside the conversation hours.

What would work and what wouldn’t. Any other ideas ?

2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4479 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 7
30 January 2014 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:

1,000 Days – Study the target language for at least an hour a day for 1,000 days. Anything less than an hour doesn’t count, and more than an hour is still just one day. This would be quite easy to track.
1,000 Hours x 3 – Complete 1,000 hours each of listening, reading, and writing. Tracking time spent over this period would be a challenge.
100,000 pages – Read at least 100,000 pages in the target language, similar to the Super Challenge. This assumes at least A2\B1 skills to start.
10,000 sentences – Use an SRS to learn off 10,000 sentences including cloze deletions, L2-L2, etc.
500 hours of conversation – Just count the hours spent speaking the language. This assumes you’ll do a lot of additional study outside the conversation hours.

What would work and what wouldn’t. Any other ideas ?

I guess it depends on your L2, but 10k (not 100k) pages got me into B2 German (at least from comprehension) coming from A2. So 100k pages sounds like over kill to me for B2/C1.

For the other suggestions:

I personally think that 10k sentence approach is more boring than reading and doesn't have many other advantages once you are in B1 territory. 10k pages will have what? 50k-100k sentences won't they?

Studying for 1000 hours is good, but I have done about +1300 in German and I am still B1 writing/speaking - B2 reading/listening. So of course how you spend your hours matters.

1000 hours x 3 - should get you there.

Conversations are obviously important, but on their own they aren't likely to give you the richness of either vocabulary or grammar you need to get to C1.

I think it's obvious you need to do all things (reading/writing/speaking/listening) to get to C1. So your 3x1000 seems like a good approach, though I would focus more on reading/listening at first, before speaking - while others would do the opposite.

Edited by patrickwilken on 30 January 2014 at 1:23pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5928 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 3 of 7
30 January 2014 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
So much depends on prior experience and your choice of language.

For example, I completely agree with patrickwilken that reading alone is probably better than
10,000 sentences in Anki above B1...for a language like German. Japanese is different, maybe
even a special case.

I also found it quite interesting to read in the summaries of successful Super Challengers
that 5000 pages could either bounce you up from B1 to B2 or get you from A1 to basic fluency,
depending on prior experience, knowledge of related languages etc.

I think the main criteria for getting from zero to awesome are:

Start studying the language. Continue studying until you can start using it.
Start using the language. Continue to use it. Study elements as required.

So I guess you need to devise a challenge with some activities and attractive round numbers
which would help motivate you to do these things.
7 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4479 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 4 of 7
30 January 2014 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:

Start studying the language. Continue studying until you can start using it.
Start using the language. Continue to use it. Study elements as required.

This summarizes my whole philosophy of language learning. :)

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4955 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 5 of 7
31 January 2014 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
Don't we already have such a challenge? It's usually called "Learning a Language" :-D

Sorry, couldn't help it ;-) . This is actually an old topic under a new cover but I like the new approach. Instead of just estimating hours to fluency ad nauseam, we're estimating time and amounts for various parts of the process, that's not bad.

I think the numbers would however vary greatly, depending on the TL, on your language background and among individuls. There are people who learn grammar more easily, others can memorize vocabulary faster, some are getting used to listening in record times while others prefer reading and so on. It's hard to tell whether these numbers or different ones would be needed.

But some of these thoughts are surely worth exploring!

An idea I love is the 1000 days of consistency!
That is an idea worth making true. There are many of us who have trouble with being consistent. Some of us learn greatly in short eras of high activity (I am fortunately among them), some less greatly. But we all could probably do with being more consistent. It might even be a really tiny daily goal, like 10 minutes. AJATT wrote, if I remember correctly, that a large part of success is showing up. So anything that makes us show up (and get hooked to forget about time ;-) ) would be awesome. In the end, we might get a whole range of results, from the people keeping to the daily minimum due to being busy up to those who just need a little nudge (or in some cases rather a solid kick) to start but forget about time for a few hours once they get into it.

1000 hours of listening may be a fine idea as well, especially taking up when we are beginning a language and perhaps without much of the time aspect (I mean not like 1000 hours in a year).
It may be a good thing since a lot of learners tend to neglect listening (I had been guilty in past as well) and 1000 hours doesn't define the content, so all those listened, relistened and again relistened assimil lessons, podcasts and such stuff could count and add some spice to all the repetition and small and seemingly unimportant 1-3 minutes long audios that are bread and butter to the beginners. And by the time you're nearing the famous plateau, you would find yourself adding larger and larger chunks as you'd be suddenly adding longer podcasts etc up to movies.
1 person has voted this message useful

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4334 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 6 of 7
31 January 2014 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
Gosh , i would like to do something like that with russian ,when i " am done " with German, i am still not
sure whether 1ooo hours are enough to bring my listening to C1 ,which would be my main goal .

1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5112 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 7 of 7
31 January 2014 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Well, according to my own estimates:

I study Norwegian, Georgian and Chinese every workday, 1 hour a day roughly.
Let's assume I study for 250 days each year.

I studied Georgian for two years, started in January 2013.
That makes 500 hours. I'm at an early B1.

As for Chinese, I started one semester earlier but with only half an hour. We can count
550 hours for Chinese.

My study is diversified and includes textbook, grammar, reading and listening, though
in the first year I worked almost only with textbooks. I'm doing it exactly like g-bod
said.

I do hope 1000 hours will bring me to basic fluency, but that probably means 2 more
years. And I expect to have a consistent B1 level by the end of the year at either or
both of the languages, since progress start to be a bit exponential instead of a linear
vocabulary acquisition.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version