Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Are some languages better to learn first?

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
43 messages over 6 pages: 1 24 5 6  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6543 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 17 of 43
03 February 2014 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
I would actually prefer to learn something like Finnish first, then you're used to all
the puzzling out and can learn the rest easily! (unfortunately I got
English/French/German first, so...)
It was my first one after English, and I never regreted that. But it has such a logical grammar that only Latin can compete. Yeah, Esperanto doesn't, in my book. It's just more logical than the modern Romance languages.

The most common specific questions are whether Dutch (or something Scandinavian) makes sense before German, and whether Polish will make Russian easier. In the first case (hah), you won't escape from the German cases and genders anyway, and unless you actually love a different Germanic language, best just go ahead and start with German.

As for the Slavic pair, both languages have many sounds that English doesn't contain. Polish uses digraphs while Russian uses a different alphabet. I've heard more than once about a learner of Russian who was just fascinated by the alphabet and then learned it quickly and got bored, not having enough interest in the language itself. Cyrillics are not different enough for learning an entire language first, although if you're a language geek, by all means find out how Polish, Czech and Croatian denote the sounds while sticking to the Latin alphabet.

Not to cause any offence, but our lovely Cristina is the only person who's said after long-term study that Cyrillics are still harder than the Latin alphabet used by Polish, and she's got dyslexia. Yet she's still determined to learn Russian first.
(Of course if you actually like Polish/find Russian too mainstream, learn Polish! It has an advantage of many Latin/Romance/German loan words too, though you'll only notice them if it's not your first foreign language :))))

On a more subjective level, Finnish and Portuguese look more neat than Estonian and Spanish. It's easier to go from folha to hoja, osso to hueso, yksitoista to üksteist, kylässäkäynti to külaskäik than the opposite. (and a lot of Estonian endings are the same as in colloquial Finnish) But of course if jäääär looks cooler to you than jää-ääri, learn Estonian ;)

Edited by Serpent on 03 February 2014 at 7:19am

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5280 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 43
03 February 2014 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Not to cause any offence, but our lovely Cristina is the only person who's said after long-term study that Cyrillics are still harder than the Latin alphabet used by Polish, and she's got dyslexia. Yet she's still determined to learn Russian first.

Hm. I actually think it is my masochistic side that governs that choice :-) Learning Russian still feels like running full speed head first into a brick wall. Repeatedly.

The thing is that over time I have grown to love both the people and the language so much, that I could not possibly imagine giving it up. Russian is my Mount Everest, my Kilimanjaro, my marathon and my labour of love. Even Polish was easy compared to Russian. After a few evening classes I could begin to communicate in Poland. It took years before I was able to do the same in Russian.

3 persons have voted this message useful

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4334 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 19 of 43
03 February 2014 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
Yes , i also think that the cyrillic alphabet is often underestimated . One thing is being able to read some
word here and there , another one reading relatively fluently without strain . Steve kaufmann also says
that reading in russian is still harder than reading in czech although he has done much more russian than
czech .

ericblair
United States
Joined 4657 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 20 of 43
03 February 2014 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
I am surprised to hear that, albysky. I was able to read, if not understand, Russian
very well after less than a year of study. In terms of knowing all the vocabulary, I had
a ways to go, of course. But the act of reading a sentence or paragraph as a cohesive
whole was not ever that challenging.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 7102 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 21 of 43
03 February 2014 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
Having studied so many languages using modified a Latinic script has left me able to process languages in that script more quickly than another script. I can read aloud a Turkish text with slightly less hesitation than a Serbian one in Cyrillic even though I know BCMS/SC much better than Turkish but the opposite case occurs when confronted by the same Turkish text but a Serbian one in Latinic. That is my stronger background in BCMS/SC and inherent bias toward Latinic script combine to make me more at ease reading aloud that Serbian text in Latinic than the Turkish one.

All of this is true despite the fact that when I worked through TY Serbian and Beginner's Serbian last year, I wrote down all of my answers to the exercises in Serbian Cyrillic regardless of the script used in the relevant text or instructions, and am at ease in writing Cyrillic cursive (plowing through Ukrainian over the last year and a half has also increased my comfort with Cyrillic).
5 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4653 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 22 of 43
03 February 2014 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
tarvos wrote:
I would actually prefer to learn something like
Finnish first, then you're used to all
the puzzling out and can learn the rest easily! (unfortunately I got
English/French/German first, so...)
It was my first one after English, and I
never regreted that. But it has such a logical grammar that only Latin can compete.
Yeah, Esperanto doesn't, in my book. It's just more logical than the modern Romance
languages.

I agree. But the thing about Esperanto is that it introduces grammar forcibly so that a
user of a new language is forced to learn those terms. I don't know Finnish well enough
to judge, I'll leave you to it (but the languages I mentioned plus Latin were my school
languages). The choice for Russian was then based on the fact it's a challenge, though
if I had chosen Finnish I don't think I'd given up either.

Quote:
The most common specific questions are whether Dutch (or something Scandinavian)
makes sense before German, and whether Polish will make Russian easier. In the first
case (hah), you won't escape from the German cases and genders anyway, and unless you
actually love a different Germanic language, best just go ahead and start with German.

Dutch has gender so you will have to learn that (the cases not so much unless you are
interested in Dutch from the Golden Age). But it does lubricate a little bit.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4611 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 23 of 43
03 February 2014 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
This is how standard European Portuguese sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=EgzdAuCbBKw

Man that sounds beautiful.

Every time I listen to Portuguese it pushes me a bit closer to my "all the Romance languages" idea.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6543 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 24 of 43
04 February 2014 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
I know that Dutch has gender, and so do the Scandinavian languages, but I hear much less complaints about that than of der/die/das. Apart from someone who's determined to make Norwegian seem as difficult as Mandarin.

Basically, learning a language with an easier grammar first will not help you escape the more difficult grammar of a related language. I suppose the main factors, apart from interest, are resources and which methods you use. If they are like mine, yours or for example iguanamon's, learning the grammar from *interesting* examples can be great. But going through traditional textbooks will be extremely boring if you already understand much of the vocab and just need the grammar.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version