Thor1987
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4680 days ago

65 posts - 84 votes 
Studies: German

Message 1 of 10
18 February 2014 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
What else can you do with it. Seriously after years of half heartily trying to learn
another language I really feel like giving up. However this obsession for me isn't
something I can leave behind. I have aspergers and for me my language interest is
something that makes me very happy. So what else can you do with a language besides
learn to speak it.
4 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7151 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 2 of 10
18 February 2014 at 4:22am | IP Logged 
You can read and listen and talk to people here about your journey.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5905 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 10
18 February 2014 at 5:42am | IP Logged 
You can build bridges with native speakers of your TL.
1 person has voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4390 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 4 of 10
18 February 2014 at 6:15am | IP Logged 
Based on personal experience once went to a dinner gathering with some out of town guests from China.
Everybody was talking in Mandarin except for 1 person at the table. The rest of us except the guests can speak
English and normally we would have included that person in the conversation. The whole dinner he was like a
mute because the rest of us found it inconvenient to be translating every other word or phrase...

If you don't know a language well enough, sometimes if you are lucky that person knows your language to
communicate with you. Otherwise, you may have to rely on hand gestures and hope you can be understood.
2 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4568 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 5 of 10
18 February 2014 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
Thor1987 wrote:
What else can you do with it. Seriously after years of half heartily trying to learn another language I really feel like giving up.

I think you've indentified the problem yourself. At the end of the day, languages are hard work and nobody learns one by magic. You have to do the graft.
9 persons have voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5545 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 6 of 10
18 February 2014 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Quote:
You have to do the graft

That's a funny expression. Like a grafted tree, where you put another plant on a tree, so it can grow there and bear fruits, you graft a forein language on you, so it will thrive there. The expresson reminds me of surgery too (in this case, brain surgery?)
That's the spirit: The language must become inextricable part of yourself!

Edited by Cabaire on 18 February 2014 at 11:48am

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4955 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 7 of 10
18 February 2014 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
You can do a lot of things!

Speaking with natives reqires more skills than just the language knowledge. A lot depends on your personality, many introverts (and not only introverts) have hard time speaking with the natives without the natives switching to English or at all. You need confidence or to be able to fake it. You need those tiny but extremely important skills that get you in primary contact with natives and keep them interested and so on. Speaking isn't just automatically the easiest and only goal. It is a nice thing to do but it is not a primary goal for all the learners by far!

What I love the most is the much wider choice of books, movies, music and so on. When you learn another language, you get not only the originals of translated works. You get tons of things that didn't get through the filters to get translated, despite being totally awesome. Before anything crosses the borders, it goes through several filters and quality is usually only one of them (and one often not that important). Marketability is much more important or the expectations of publishers and tv companies of what do their customers want (which are often different from the real situation).

So, once you learn a language, you can find a lot of uses for it. It's the moment to start looking at the world through new glasses but still from your point of view. Many people, even on this forum, keep insisting that communication with other people is the main goal. Well, it is for them but not for everyone. Books and such things are a form of communication as well. If you prefer it, there is no reason to change yourself just to use your skills the way other people like. Take your interests and combine them with your new language skills and you'll get your answer.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5855 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 8 of 10
18 February 2014 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
If language study in itself makes you happy, you don't need another reason. But if difficulty speaking bothers you so much that you're considering giving it up altogether then maybe you could focus on speaking for a while, but without assessing your own progress. You can focus on it privately, without involving other people, until it stops being a drain on your motivation. Give yourself, say, 3 months where you don't worry about whether you're better at it yet. Or even longer if you're worried you might get more frustrated after 3 months if you don't get the results you want. Then see how you're doing after the end of x months. You could try something intense, like shadowing by professor Arguelles' method (he has a thread about it on the site). But of course you could focus on other things, like reading things you like. But would that make you as happy as speaking would? Rhetorical question. Only you would know which parts of language learning makes you happy and which parts you don't really care about anyway.

Liz

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version