Lion
Yugoslavia
Joined 5990 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English
Studies: Spanish

Message 41 of 53
26 December 2007 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
I hope I will speak 6 languages one day ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

Likonan
Hexaglot
Singapore
Joined 5885 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: French, Modern Hebrew, English*, Italian, Spanish, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Arabic (Written)

Message 42 of 53
09 April 2008 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
My strongest language is English, followed by French.

Languages in which I have more or less basic to advanced fluency are: Mandarin, Hebrew, Arabic and Japanese. I
also slightly understand Spanish and I understand Italian a little better.
Korean I spoke once but I forgot it some time ago. :(

Edited by Likonan on 09 October 2008 at 5:51am

Garaidh
Decaglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5875 days ago

43 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, Croatian, Serbian, French
Studies: Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Faroese

Message 43 of 53
24 April 2008 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
I think most polygots are more beneficaries of circumstance than avid students.

I personally have been very lucky in that I 'love' languages but work and live in a multilingual environment.

I was brought up with English native tongue but my Dad encouraged me with gaelic and bought me lots of books etc as a child whenever he went to Glasgow on business.

I then did French and German at school.

At university I did German, Russian and Spanish with an option in Serbocroat. This turned into two subjects by the end of my course because of the war.

I lived with a welsh family for a year and have an ex who was a native welsh speaker.

i lived in Russia for a year and have worked in Spain and Germany.

I now work in a European bank where we speak to clients and review docs daily in German, French, Spanish, Dutch and Russian (also Italian and Catalan but whilst can guess at them wouldnt profess to speak them).

I have married a Russian so speak it at home.

My first language book I bought was Teach Yourself Danish aged 11, Have had an interest in Scandanavian languages ever since.

ANother book which got me interested in languages at a very early age was 'Languages of Asia and the Pacific: A Phrasebook for Travellers and Students by Prof Charles Hamblin. Anyone else read this?

I would love to learn a tonal language now but not sure which!

leosmith
United States
Joined 6362 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 44 of 53
24 April 2008 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Garaidh wrote:
I think most polygots are more beneficaries of circumstance than avid students.

I personally have been very lucky in that I 'love' languages but work and live in a multilingual environment.

I was brought up with English native tongue but my Dad encouraged me with gaelic and bought me lots of books etc as a child whenever he went to Glasgow on business.

I then did French and German at school.

At university I did German, Russian and Spanish with an option in Serbocroat. This turned into two subjects by the end of my course because of the war.

I lived with a welsh family for a year and have an ex who was a native welsh speaker.

i lived in Russia for a year and have worked in Spain and Germany.

I now work in a European bank where we speak to clients and review docs daily in German, French, Spanish, Dutch and Russian (also Italian and Catalan but whilst can guess at them wouldnt profess to speak them).

I have married a Russian so speak it at home.

My first language book I bought was Teach Yourself Danish aged 11, Have had an interest in Scandanavian languages ever since.

ANother book which got me interested in languages at a very early age was 'Languages of Asia and the Pacific: A Phrasebook for Travellers and Students by Prof Charles Hamblin. Anyone else read this?

I would love to learn a tonal language now but not sure which!

Welcome to the forum Garaidh! Might I recommend Thai? It's a beautiful sounding and looking language. Thailand is a wonderful place to vacation, and your wife would probably appreciate the large number of Russian speakers.   

Garaidh
Decaglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5875 days ago

43 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, Croatian, Serbian, French
Studies: Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Faroese

Message 45 of 53
25 April 2008 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
Thanks its a really great forum!

Have actually been to Thailand a few times but haven't got much further than Sawasdee! lol

Last time we went we got a Berlitz phrasebook (they do them now in Russian!) but was too busy swimming and sunbathing to learn much of the language :(

On our last trip we also went to Burma and Cambodia. I bougt a couple of books on each so might take a look at those.

Other languages I'm interested in learning:
Romanian
Letzeburgish
Faroese

Polyglot0613
United States
Joined 5707 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English

Message 48 of 53
04 October 2008 at 7:42pm | IP Logged