briemekon
United Kingdom
Joined 5688 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 49 of 53
06 November 2008 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
My father has just started to learn Finnish, this is his twentieth language. All of which are fluent to a native level. I remember myself a German vehemently refusing to believe he was not German.
It would also amuse me when he would speak Hindi or Urdu to a child, and watch them double take as they realise it was a white guy speaking like a native.
Although it seems a high number he started with English and Welsh, did German in Göttingen University after the war, and Russian at an English University. He would drill endlessly to perfect his accent and would always go to work and live in each county to perfect it.
Think how many languages people could speak if instead of watching soaps they studied, but each to his own.
1 person has voted this message useful

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5725 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 50 of 53
07 November 2008 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
That's fascinating, briemekon. I think many here would enjoy reading more about your father. I know I certainly would.

briemekon
United Kingdom
Joined 5688 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: German

Message 51 of 53
09 November 2008 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
Thanks JuanM,
I'm thinking of getting him to write about his methods. He was a language teacher and to prove a point to the language department; in one year got 12-13 year old beginners to pass the O levels in 3 languages (O levels being the exams pupils took at the age of 16, now replaced by GCSE in UK.)
Instead of boring the pupils he would find out what interested them, eg football, get magazines etc in that language.
Both my parents are linguists, but typically of childeren I never bothered until now. The problem with childhood is it is where we waste the gifts of youth.

Edited by briemekon on 09 November 2008 at 1:09pm

Athlander
United Kingdom
greynorth.net
Joined 5683 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, German

Message 52 of 53
12 November 2008 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
briemekon wrote:
Thanks JuanM,
I'm thinking of getting him to write about his methods. He was a language teacher and to prove a point to the language department; in one year got 12-13 year old beginners to pass the O levels in 3 languages (O levels being the exams pupils took at the age of 16, now replaced by GCSE in UK.)
Instead of boring the pupils he would find out what interested them, eg football, get magazines etc in that language.

I hope you can persuade him to say a few things about his methods. What languages did he teach the 12-13 year olds you mention above? French, German and Spanish?

culdebout
Tetraglot
France
Joined 5676 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Japanese, Hindi

Message 53 of 53
18 November 2008 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
I am French, 20 years old, currently freshman in a US college.
I would say I am fluent in 4 languages (French, English, Spanish and Portuguese) and confident in Hindi and Japanese.
Next will be Italian, and Arabic or Hebrew. I'd like to learn Russian, too, eventually.
English and Spanish came with studying them in school, the others through self studying (which is much more enjoyable than classes often desperately mundane...)

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version