Diglot
Austria
Joined 5861 days ago

146 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Latin

Message 25 of 29
19 January 2009 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
Bond speaks Arabic briefly in The Spy Who Loved Me.
1 person has voted this message useful

Akbaboy
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 5600 days ago

35 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Cantonese, Catalan, French
Studies: Mandarin, Spanish, Dutch

Message 26 of 29
19 January 2009 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
Just so you know, 向左走·向右走 said in Cantonese is: Hoeng Zo Zau, Hoeng Jau Zau. In Mandarin, its said: Xiang Zuo Zou, Xiang You Zou. I am advanced at Cantonese and I am basiclly learning Mandarin.

Edited by Akbaboy on 19 January 2009 at 5:04pm

aqeeliz
Tetraglot
Pakistan
aqeeliz.com
Joined 5558 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Punjabi, Urdu*, English, Hindi
Studies: Spanish

Message 27 of 29
04 March 2009 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
I have come across many polyglot characters in books and movies, but I can't really remember them all right now. These are the ones I recently encountered:

- Dr. Daniel Jackson in Stargate (and tv show Stargate SG-1) is shown to be fluent in around 23 languages.

- Klatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still speaks "alien", English and Chinese / Japanese.

- If I am not forgetting, the main character in Dan Brown's Angels and Demons & Da Vinci Code was also a linguist (or something similar).

arclight
Diglot
United States
arclight.livejournal
Joined 6641 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 28 of 29
06 March 2009 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
In the movie Gaudi Afternoon, the main character (played by Judy Davis) is an American living in Barcelona who translates Latin American fiction into English for a living. In the movie itself, she speaks English, Spanish, and Catalan, and it is inferred that she also knows German, Swedish, and others as well.

Going along with the James Bond theme, it is revealed in You Only Live Twice that Bond was some sort of Asian Studies major in his university days and could speak very good Japanese.

There are many multilingual characters in the German film Im Juli and many languages are spoken. These include but are not limited to: German, Turkish, English, Romanian, and at least one of the Balkan languages, most likely Serbian or Croatian.

In Europa Europa, the main character speaks German, Hebrew, Polish and Russian.

Edited by arclight on 06 March 2009 at 8:51pm

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6084 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 29 of 29
06 March 2009 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
George Clooney plays a character who speaks Arabic and Farsi in Syriana, though there is some doubt about the quality of his language. I don't think Clooney actually learned the languages for the role.   

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version