Bilingual Tetraglot
India
Joined 4607 days ago

36 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English, Hindi*, Nepali*, Urdu
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 22
15 November 2011 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
I do not know but i am pretty sure that you guys might think that i am being weird here
however i think it's important to know it.
Well, my question is using second language as a medium to learn another language, do
you think, it will be effective?
I did my own research and tried to find the best methods to self-teach Spanish and
encountered many language teaching materials and most of them(90%) are available in
English or i'd rather say best "teach your self materials are available in English
only"

My knowledge and understanding of English is more than decent, of course it's not as
good as a native speaker and i am not here to compare my English with native English
speakers =P

(i grew up in a Hinglish<70%English+30%Hindi> environment) however my only concern is
using second language to teach another language, is it really worth it or effective?

Help me!!!!!!(Yeah, i know it makes sense that using English as a medium to learn
Romance languages makes it easier to learn them<which i can't imagine with Hindi =P >
but still i'd like to know all of your opinions on this.

*****Currently Using Rosetta Stone on level2(Latin American Spanish)

Edited by Fasulye on 15 November 2011 at 10:59am

1 person has voted this message useful

asies
Bilingual Tetraglot
India
Joined 4607 days ago

36 posts - 44 votes

Message 2 of 22
15 November 2011 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
Just finished level2 of Rosetta stone.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6428 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 3 of 22
15 November 2011 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
This question pops up here from time to time, and you're not weird for asking it. Welcome to the forums, by the way!

The general consensus here is usually that using your L2 (second language) to learn your L3 is motivated only if there are similarities between them. I think it can be a way to increase your exposure to your L2 if you're on a time budget.

In addition, if your L2 is English, it might be a good idea, since the resources will likely be much more plentiful. As long as you have a good command of English, go for it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

asies
Bilingual Tetraglot
India
Joined 4607 days ago

36 posts - 44 votes

Message 4 of 22
15 November 2011 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Thanks!! =)

Do you suggest Living language courses over linguaphone Spanish?
I am already using Rosetta stone, when i got RS 4months ago from my brother, i was told
it works like a miracle blah blah. I am not here to complain that this software isn't
good it has the potential and it makes you memorize lot of words also, but when it
comes to sentence creation on your own. It leaves you point blank. I wanted to
supplement myself with some books and other programs as well but when i contacted their
customer support they refused and strongly disapproved the use of books and said unless
i don't finish all 5levels of it "YOU SHOULD NOT USE ANYTHING except movies, song and
books in the target language"

Since i have already started using it, i won't stop unless i don't finish all the
levels however i will be supplementing myself with good resources, so hope to get
pieces of advice/some advice from all of you.

Thanks again

Edited by asies on 15 November 2011 at 2:58pm

asies
Bilingual Tetraglot
India
Joined 4607 days ago

36 posts - 44 votes

Message 5 of 22
15 November 2011 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
anyway enjoy this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCcwLQ9l5ao =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9XztAs37L8&feature=related

y la último :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpYdBcjzOhc&feature=related

Edited by asies on 15 November 2011 at 7:52pm

asies
Bilingual Tetraglot
India
Joined 4607 days ago

36 posts - 44 votes

Message 6 of 22
15 November 2011 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
This video reminds me of my older days when i was new in Call center industry but as time
passed by and i improved lol. =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxuEBUXJ2rQ&feature=related

Edited by asies on 15 November 2011 at 10:38pm

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6428 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 7 of 22
16 November 2011 at 6:51am | IP Logged 
asies wrote:
Do you suggest Living language courses over linguaphone Spanish?

I'm not the guy to ask about Spanish resources. There are many and different people prefer different ones. On these forums, Assimil and Teach Yourself seem to have the best reputations. Rosetta Stone is generally not too highly thought of. Personally I prefer courses that don't have a fixed progression, but rather let you choose lessons that interest you from a large database. LoMasTV and SpanishPod are examples of such courses for Spanish.

Quote:
Since i have already started using it, i won't stop unless i don't finish all the levels however i will be supplementing myself with good resources, so hope to get
pieces of advice/some advice from all of you.

That's probably a good idea. switching materials constantly and trying to learn from four different courses at the same time is not likely to yield great results. On the other hand, staying with a course that's not working for you isn't too great, either. If you feel it works, stay with it. If you feel it doesn't, choose a new one and stay with that for some time. That's my advice.

asies
Bilingual Tetraglot
India
Joined 4607 days ago

36 posts - 44 votes

Message 8 of 22
16 November 2011 at 7:28am | IP Logged 
Hmmm sounds like a plan to me but again starting from the scratch doesn't make sense to
me unless i don't finish it. I know it's good to over learn few things but going
through the basics again, over and over that i am finding it little hard to digest.
My ultimate goal is to become fluent enough to hold a decent conversation and to be
able to discuss complex topics as well.

Listening+Writing+Reading+Speaking <======My Goal.

and that's the only reason why i am just concentrating on one language only.
Basic Fluency is not what i desire, if i am working on something than i would expect it
to be close to perfection if not perfect. It's certain that it takes lots of year's
practice and self dedication. So, do you still think switching programs or materials
several times is a good idea?

I have added a photo also to show you, teach your self materials that i have.(I have
Platiquemos and FSI basic Spanish also which are not included in this photo.)

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version