GermanMd
Turkey
Joined 3952 days ago

18 posts - 34 votes
Studies: English

Message 1 of 10
05 November 2013 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
Hello everbody,

Yesterday I was searching the net about a good German dictionary, but I was surprised that " langenscheidt company" has a very nice (dictionary-like) product that contains about 9000 words and which takes one to B2 level and with both an audio and e-book format, each word with a sample sentence and it's arranged by themes ..

(check it please :here )

I have already studied German grammar and got a basic understanding of it ..

I was thinking what about studying from this product as a major study tool . memorizing vocabulary and sample sentences ( + audio ) and trying at the end of the day to write small paragraph with the words I learned in that day ..

Can this be an effective method to reach fluency ? if not what to combine with it ?

I need to pass B2 level exam as soon as possible , but now I am just a beginner and this is the only product I found that has the vocabulary up to B2 level ..

Many thanks in advance ..
1 person has voted this message useful

Andrew C
Diglot
United Kingdom
naturalarabic.com
Joined 5043 days ago

205 posts - 350 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)

Message 2 of 10
05 November 2013 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
It seems the link you gave is for an English dictionary, not a German one.

Anyway, personally I don't like learning from dictionaries, as I want more context. Also, you might find you
don't fully understand the context sentences they give and if you can't look up the words easily, you are kind
of stuck.

GermanMd
Turkey
Joined 3952 days ago

18 posts - 34 votes

Message 3 of 10
05 November 2013 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
I think it's an English-German dictionary , but I will use it as (German-English ) one..

each sample sentence is also translated to English ..

Many thanks for your reply :) ..

Andrew C
Diglot
United Kingdom
naturalarabic.com
Joined 5043 days ago

205 posts - 350 votes 

Message 4 of 10
05 November 2013 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
You're welcome :)

If it is English-German then I suppose the audio will only be in English and the sentences originally English -
so the German might not be natural.I would think you could find more suitable materials...e.g. Lingq.

GermanMd
Turkey
Joined 3952 days ago

18 posts - 34 votes

Message 5 of 10
05 November 2013 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
The audio reads English and German sentences with the words :)

Andrew C
Diglot
United Kingdom
naturalarabic.com
Joined 5043 days ago

205 posts - 350 votes 

Message 6 of 10
05 November 2013 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
Oh right. Might not be too bad then!

JiriT
Triglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4650 days ago

60 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, German

Message 7 of 10
05 November 2013 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

I do not believe your method is goo. First, for B2 level you do not have to know so
many words. And more importantly, you do not need to memorize so many word, you need to
know them from a real use. The example sentences do not provide you with much context.
Perhaps you could memorize 1000 most frequent words, or even 3000 words. But then you
should see the words used in a real context. Unless you combine memory drill with
reading or listening where these words will occur, it is a waste of time.

For fluency you do not need so many words. 3000 words should be enough for speaking,
but you should know these (ideally most frequent) words really well. Well memory drill
and to see these words used in context.

It would be better to find a good German textbook (with current language, really most
frequent vocabulary, well explained grammar, good articles or examples of
conversation). Then memorize the vocabulary, learn well the grammar (memorize rules and
used grammar drills), memorize conversational examples, read lesson articles many times
and listen to MP3 even more times. One can learn form a textbook a lot. But your
conversation will not be fluent. You can reach fluency only by practicing conversation
with native speakers. But the textbook will enable you to start this. After mastering a
textbook (and perhaps some additional reading and listening) you will be able to lead
conversation. But at first it will not be fluent.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4855 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 
Speaks: German*, Italian, Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Croatian, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 8 of 10
08 January 2014 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
I am a native speaker of German and I think these books/mp3 files are very useful. In addition, they come at an extremely reasonable price (you can get them for Spanish - German, French - German, Italian - German as well). If you manage to "digest" the content of that book, your German will be at a very high level. You'll have no problems getting by in most situations I could think of right now.

If you have a basic understanding of German grammar (you need not know all the rules by heart), this should allow you to understand the grammatical patterns used in the example sentences.

In my opinion this is one of Langenscheidt's best products and an excellent means to reach conversational fluency. Once you are comfortable with the vocabulary presented in that book, you won't have any (or very few) problems reading material written for natives and/or listening to natives etc.

Of course, you'll come across the odd unknown word or expression but you can easily look them up in a standard dictionary or google their meaning.

Ich wünsche dir viel Erfolg und viel Spaß!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version