Joined 4521 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 17 of 20
06 December 2013 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Well, you might want to consider some of the following aspects:

- Poles are the biggest immigrant group in Norway. Very few of them speak Norwegian or even English, so
there is a big demand for people who are bilingual. I cannot say whether there are much use for lawyers who
speak Polish at the moment, but I assume there will be.
- Wages are considerably higher in Norway than in Sweden.
- Norway has a 3.5 % unemployment, where Sweden has a 8.5 % unemployment. The only reason why it is
not higher, is that Swedes are the second largest immigrant group in Norway.
- From a linguistic point of view, it does not matter which one you learn, since they are very similar. If you go
for a blue collar job, Swedish works just fine also in Norway. If you go for a white collar job, you will have
more long term opportunities if you go straight for Norwegian.

But Sweden is in EU, and it allows dual citizenship. ;)
Because of much higher prices in Norway, local purchasing power is about the same, or even higher
in Sweden:
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?coun try1=Norway&country2=Sweden&city1=Bergen&city2=Gothenburg
''Local Purchasing Power in Gothenburg is 12.72% higher than in Bergen''

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?coun try1=Norway&country2=Sweden&city1=Oslo&city2=Stockholm
''Local Purchasing Power in Stockholm is 8.31% higher than in Oslo''

Edited by Medulin on 06 December 2013 at 5:59pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4143 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 18 of 20
07 December 2013 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
True, I was considering this about Swedish and Norwegian, since I like both languages,
there needs to be an extra factor to decide whereon to focus. Sweden is in the EU, so
citizenship there allows the EU rights, along with free movement, etc. Norway for some
reason do not allow dual citizenship. SEven years are required as well:

/requirements-to-obtain-norwegian-citizenship-by-
application/">http://www.udi.no/norwegian-directorate-of-imm igration/central-
topics/citizenship-/requirements-to-obtain-norwegian-citizen ship-by-application/

To become a Norwegian citizen, you must in principle have resided in Norway for
seven years during the past ten years. Stays in Norway more than ten years ago are
irrelevant.

/Dual-citizenship/">http://www.udi.no/Norwegian-Directorate- of-Immigration/Central-
topics/Citizenship-/Dual-citizenship/

If you wish to become a Norwegian citizen it is required as a principal rule that
you renounce any other citizenship.

Dual citizenship is allowed, but also multiple (greater than 3) citizenships are
allowed, which is quite good for those who are already dual citizens.

http://www.migrationsverket.se/inf
o/499_en.html

The period of required residency varies. In most cases you are required to have been
resident in Sweden for at least five years. This period of residency must have been
continuous. Other rules apply for those who are stateless or refugees.

http://www.migrationsverket.se/in
fo/2125_en.html

Will I lose my Swedish citizenship if I move away from Sweden?
You cannot lose your Swedish citizenship. You will retain your Swedish citizenship even
if you move to another country.

http://www.migrationsverket.se/inf
o/399_en.html

Dual or multiple citizenship
Sweden permits dual citizenship. Dual citizenship means that you are a citizen in more
than one country. If you become a Swedish citizen, you may retain your foreign
citizenship if the other country permits it. Likewise, if you are a Swedish citizen and
become a citizen of another country, you may keep your Swedish citizenship if the other
country permits it. Some countries do not allow dual citizenship.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4222 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 19 of 20
07 December 2013 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
mfest wrote:

Thereupon I have question about probably time to be fluent in this language (C1). How
long does it take to get A1, A2, B1, B2? I'm asking because I would create a long-
standing
plan learning this language.

I have no idea whether any language would be useful. I do know that if you're an attorney from the U.S. and work internationally, realistically the language will be English. There are obviously exceptions--lawyers who work primarily with transactional work will be fluent in the languages of the countries with which they work. I have noticed in looking up LLM programs in Poland that German seems to be a fairly common language among lawyers. Never would have guessed that one! I would probably say Russian is more useful. Even here I see either job openings or biographies of lawyers who speak Russian. I don't think I've ever seen Swedish unless it's involving reviewing documents for litigation purposes.

As far as how long it would take to become fluent, my experience has been that the guides online are fairly accurate in terms of how many hours are needed. That said, I personally would say that while C1 is very doable as far as studying law (and I definitely had classmates my first year who were more at a B2 level), for actual practice you would want to be as close to C2 as you can, or at least be very comfortable with how to work in the level.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3841 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 20 of 20
28 December 2013 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
Since you are going to be a lawyer you should consider French. In many EU institutions and different European and international courts and tribunals French is one of the working languages.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version