Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5708 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 1 of 11
26 November 2013 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
I have been learning Russian for 4 years and I can comfortably read and write Russian, although there is still a lot of items to be learnt in the vocabulary and culture sections. I have started to listen to native materials such as radio over the internet, as I thought that I have sufficient foundation to understand the basic ideas of the material. To my dismay, I can barely understand 20 per cent of what is broadcasted. The portions which I understood consisted of international words and words I am very familiar with. Russian is spoken very rapidly by natives, even on public radio services and I cannot even process what has been spoken before another word was uttered.

I also have problems with my speaking. I realised that I cannot speak very fluently without messing up my pronunciation. I think I have a tongue shorter than the natives, which is why my tongue is very tired when making palatalized consonants. (The tongue need to touch the palate when making them). Therefore I switch between hard and soft consonants slowly and it slowed down my speech.

What can I do to improve my listening and speaking? Is drilling with audio intensive materials like Assimil improve my listening and speaking, even though my knowledge of Russian is higher than the book presents?
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4560 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 11
26 November 2013 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Speak more, get some tutoring, and practice. Russians do not speak faster than Dutch
people, you're just not used to decoding speech, only writing.

My understanding in oral conversations went up from shitzilla to high within a year when
I started taking regular tutoring and then when I went to Russia afterwards for a month.
Now I have quite good oral comprehension and I can talk to Russian speakers no problem.

For the pronunciation, sit down with a patient native or a speech therapist.

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5708 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 

Message 3 of 11
26 November 2013 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
Can you share the steps or stages in decoding speech? I have managed to understand French after quite a long time of immersion for 3 years, but for Russian it doesn't happen within the same length of time.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4560 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 11
26 November 2013 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
It took me about 2 years in total, maybe 6 months to really notice a sharp improvement
from "I get the structure, but I can't decode it..." to "Wow, this makes sense!"?

It means you need to consistently expose yourself to speech, use transcripts (!) and
talk talk talk. I don't really have any steps, it doesn't matter how, it matters that
you're doing too much writing, and too little listening and speaking.

For me what helped was a month in Russia, afterwards the difference was huge.

Make sure you are surrounded by speech. I used to speak Russian EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. in
Russia for everything I used to do, I stayed at people's homes and in hostels.
Beforehand I used to be tutored in Russian each week. I write (and wrote) messages each
day. Today I have already written two longer messages, same for yesterday. It's
exposure exposure exposure.

Listen with transcripts first (Echo Moskvi is a good source) and then without. I read
books in Russian translation.

Edited by tarvos on 26 November 2013 at 5:09pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4909 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 5 of 11
26 November 2013 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
QiuJP wrote:

I think I have a tongue shorter than the natives, which is why my tongue is very tired
when making palatalized consonants. (The tongue need to touch the palate when making
them).

The tongue doesn't need to touch the hard palate, it only approaches it. You probably
exeggerate softness of consonants, which is normal at the beginning.
Try to listen to Soviet radio and TV (recordings), you will be surprised how slowly
they
spoke.
Here you are:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPTfZyi0ius
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3JEVa5ILvk

Edited by Марк on 26 November 2013 at 8:21pm

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4377 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 6 of 11
26 November 2013 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
Maybe you are not familiar with the patterns of daily speaking that differ
significantly from the texts we read. During preparation for DELF B2 exam in French, I
realized that I didn't lack the vocab but I didn't know the word that go often
together.

I tried to study with easy audiobooks and put myself in "parrot mode" or, say, "baby
mode". But while repeating many times those sentences, I paid attention to feel the
meaning, too. That's not just a sound production exercice.

I talked a lot on skype with native speakers, but IMHO, what improved my listening
drills wasn't that I hear natives, I think it was that I was forcing myself to build
sentences and in fact I was learning to activate the passive vocab I learnt through
reading&writing.

May it be useful also for you.

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5708 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 

Message 7 of 11
27 November 2013 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the kind advices. I am actually planning a 2 week trip in Russia(unfortunately, that is the longest duration I can afford to take a break from my work) Hopefully, I can do a total immersion just like what tavros did. But I would still like to polish up my listening and speaking skills, so that my time in Russia will be more worthwhile.

Here are some of the audio intensive Russian materials I have:
Doroga v Rocciyu (1 - 3)
Assimil (1951, 2004 and 2009)
Living Language Ultimate Russian
Methode 90

If I drill my listening and speaking with these materials at least once before my trip, would it be sufficient for me to interact with natives without much problems?

Edited by QiuJP on 27 November 2013 at 4:37pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4560 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 8 of 11
27 November 2013 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
I didn't do any drilling of audio at all, and I think you would get bored more than that
it would help. I haven't intensively used more than two or three methods (Assimil's
newest in English, TY and an old colloquial, and in the latter two I skipped a lot), and
from then on I've only ever used Russian with people. I occasionally look things up, but
I haven't looked at a textbook for like over a year now (and my comprehension was
terrible up until this spring-summer).

You can, if you want to, but I would rather practice with people.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version