Poland
Joined 5581 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 17 of 40
20 December 2013 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
... the internet allows you to access massive amounts of material in any major language. Every non-native speaker of English starts from zero when learning the language, there's no reason why you can't make similar progress in another tongue.

Completely agree.

iguanamon wrote:

US TV series and films are almost everywhere. I'm sure, if I were almost anywhere in the world right now and turned on the television or went to the cinema, I would see and hear something familiar. If I got in the car for a drive and turned on the radio, I'm sure I could hear English, if I wanted, quite easily. If I worked in any business selling or buying anything internationally, I'd be exposed to English. English is ubiquitous on the web, software, games. It would be a challenge to avoid the language.

The biggest difference with non-native English-speakers living outside of English-speaking countries and English-speakers living outside their TL countries is that extra massive exposure to daily English for everyone else that we just don't get as easily in our TL's. For us, it's a major effort, for them- it's everywhere. We can create an immersive environment to a large extent, yes, but we're not going to get that extra bit of daily, ubiquitous help from society at large that non-native speakers of English get so easily outside their studies.

That's why I think English is listed as an exception.

English is ubiquitous, you're right. That means many people have it easier to become conversational. Achieving near native fluency (what emk is aiming for) is something different. Listening to some songs in your TL won't do the job and that's basically it when it comes to that 'massive exposure' that non-English speakers have. They might listen to music mostly in English but the rest of their lives are conducted in their native tongues. With the exclusion of maybe Scandinavian countries, English language TV shows are dubbed or with a voice over. You won't learn much from that. If they want to surround themselves with English they still have to make an effort and a conscious decision to do so. Sure, Czech or Swahili input will be harder to find then English, but not French or Spanish.
1 person has voted this message useful

mst
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4810 days ago

9 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: Italian

Message 18 of 40
21 December 2013 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
To be honest with you, I've got an A in the Cambridge C2 exam and still struggle with
some things you mentioned. Still, according to my Cambridge report the only part of the
exam in which I didn't excel was writing. I tell you this only to make you aware that
the goals you have are very ambitious.

Briefly: I had English for 5 years at school. Didn't learn a thing, like most people.
Took a private course (2x/week) for 2 and a half years that got me to a solid
intermediary level. Got through hundreds of fiction books, watched lots of TV shows and
movies for 5+ years. Went abroad for the first time: Canada for 2 months (1 month
intensive English course, which was a waste of money. Backpacked for 1 month by myself
which was what provided me the most speaking practice). Back to Brazil, did a semester
of a prep course for the exam and got the certificate.

Conclusion: what got me to C2 was mainly the massive amount of exposure to the
language. When I got to Canada, I found that casual conversation flowed quite
effortlessly (struggled a bit in the beggining, after all I had not had opportunity to
practice for about 5 years, but after a week I felt like I "unlocked" all that).
Trivial topics posed no problem. I found myself using idioms naturally. And I most
definitely thought in English.

However, to this day, speaking in a circle of natives about subjects I'm not really
familiar with, or that I'm not used to discussing (or reading) in English - the
philosophical or political ones that sometimes pop up in a bar table, for example - can
be a pain even in my best days.
I think this is because they stop making accomodations for you, since they know you
speak the language at a high level.
But there's also the fact that those aren't subjects I usually read about (I read
mainly fiction). Besides, I've never been in a context where I was forced to use
English academically, so even though I have a passing knowledge of the vocabulary
needed (enough to understand when it's being used), it isn't readily available to use.

Long term solution: Read more scientific magazines, political articles, academic books.

Short term solution: Write about these subjects, this way you expose the holes in your
vocabulary (and also practice using the vocabulary that you've been reading).

The problem with speaking is that you can get by using simpler words and ideas and you
rarely go looking later for "the right word" that you needed to express the full scope
of the grandiose idea you had during that dorm discussion. Also, unless you are in the
university, these interactions make up a tiny portion of your daily use of the
language. If you are writing, however, you have plenty of time to rack your brain (or
look it up in a dictionary).
Since your wife is a native French speaker, you might try engaging her into these
"deep" discussions, ideally in a topic that you've been reading about (and taking notes
of the useful vocabulary). Basically, keep doing what you've been doing. But since the
vocabulary you need is so low frequency, take notes more actively and force yourself to
use it. Otherwise, it won't pop up in reading often enough to become active vocabulary,
nor will it pop up in discussion to let you use it (making it thus, active).

Concerning consistency, I find that I can make trivial conversation quite easily, even
if it's been some time since I've last spoken English (due to the massive exposure).
High level discussions, however, are a whole different story. I've got to be warmed up,
speaking the language for a couple days, and I got to be familiar with the subjects.
Otherwise, I'll get by, but I will feel like a 13 year old discussing politics.

TL;DR You are in the right path, keep doing what you've been doing but force yourself
in situations in which you'll have to use this more specific vocabulary.
Concerning consistency, keep practicing, you are lucky enough to have a native speaker
at home. Good luck! (btw, your French log is awesomely useful!)
7 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3935 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 19 of 40
21 December 2013 at 7:29am | IP Logged 
I would also suggest hanging out in a french forum online on a regular basis where they
have some discussions. And where you post several times daily, with the goal of
gradually increasing the complexity of things you post. The posts should ideally be
several times a day, as timepass, so that French becomes something in the background
that you are constantly using, and understanding.

Edited by Gemuse on 21 December 2013 at 7:30am

4 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4475 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 20 of 40
21 December 2013 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
Exposure is ultimately the key. In the 90s, I became interested in Irish and studied quite hard at home with
book & cassette packages. After a year or so, I went to a multi-level residential course in an area where the
language was still spoken natively. I was very enthusiastic about the language and eager to try it out with
fellow speakers, although I was still very much at conversational level myself.

It didn't take me long to realise that the Irish people on the course who had been exposed to the language in
the education system (it's compulsory for all pupils, right the way through) were way more advanced than me,
even though they said they hated Irish lessons at school and never really learned how to speak.

Also, in Ireland, bilingual signage and Irish terms are everywhere in society. Okay, it's not as ubiquitous as
English pop music but the influence is always in the background.

With a massive language like French, it should be easy to flood your free time with resources and create your
own little private French bubble.
2 persons have voted this message useful

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3850 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 21 of 40
21 December 2013 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
Do you listen to all your music in French?Steve Kaufman wrote once that he doesn't find songs "efficient" or "useful" or something, but I'm a big proponent of them. If you have the songs in your head you really remember the words being sung and they are usually "high-yield" words, not some words that an erudite will know.

Do you listen to French audiobooks while in the car? You could pick an easier one since it is hard to drive and listen to a non-native language at the same time.

This last tip won't help *too* much, but do you write things in French on your desk?On my desk I have computer speakers and a 3 hole puncher and when in college I wrote the translation in Spanish. The writing is still there and I really won't forget them unless I have early-onset dementia or something. Or you can also write a few words on your hand to be the words that you will learn for that day.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6762 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 40
21 December 2013 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
Perhaps Steve has that opinion because the lyrics are sung and not spoken, and that there is relatively little "content" per time unit (this is my reason not to base my langage learning on lyrics).

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3850 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 23 of 40
21 December 2013 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Yes, it is relatively inefficient but I think that listening to music is still effective since you can internalize a lot of words and sentence structures. Plus it's fun!

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4386 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 24 of 40
21 December 2013 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
culebrilla wrote:
Yes, it is relatively inefficient but I think that listening to music is still effective since you can internalize a lot of words and sentence structures. Plus it's fun!

Yeah. But this discussion was about how to move from a solid B2 to C1 to C2. I don't believe for a moment that songs will give you enough vocabulary/syntax to do so, no matter how much fun it is.

Perhaps it helps, but it's at best 1% of the solution, not 99%.

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version