culebrilla
United States
Joined 3850 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 9 of 19
24 December 2013 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
WarriorPrincess wrote:
Hello, basically I was born in the USA and went through 3 years of high school Spanish.
Later I took another semester of Spanish in University to fill in credit hours and
learned nothing. All of these years were a waste of time. Now I'm interested in learning
Spanish on my own for business purposes and for meeting new people. What is the best way
to do this? And I don't want to sound like a standardized Spanish textbook. I want to be
able to speak slang/natural. Please share your best methods for tackling the Spanish
language.
Thank you.

Good luck in your quest.

1. Have fun. Most important thing to keep you motivated and for you to study or practice.

2. After you feel comfortable, you could join a meetup.com group where there are Spanish clubs. If you live near a university you will probably have Spanish clubs where there are native speakers that lead the talks.

3. Your university may have resources to do face-to-face language exchanges. I did that through my university a few years ago.

4. When I was an A2 Spanish speaker I started to listen to Juanes (Colombian Spanish) and got hooked. I would write down the words I didn't understand in the lyrics book. I don't know if you would buy cds on amazon but I still buy physical ones. The only problem is that they seem to be getting rid of the lyrics in the casework. :(

5. You could get a book on amazon (I bought one and read like half of it) but really I think that you should just learn the slang when you meet up with native speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/179-7160539-7375350 ?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=spanish%20slang&spref ix=spanish+sl%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aspanish%20slang

6. What type of slang and music are you interested in? Let me know the country and I could recommend some bands for you and write down the most "high-yield" slang for the countries I'm familiar with.

Edit: I'm best at Mexican and Spanish slang in case you are interested in those. I could teach you good slang and gutter slang if you wish. :)

Edited by culebrilla on 24 December 2013 at 2:28am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6450 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 19
24 December 2013 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
There are quite a few Juanes songs at lyricstraining! Include those pending approval by using advanced search.
1 person has voted this message useful

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3898 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 11 of 19
24 December 2013 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
I'd start off with Assimil Spanish with Ease. That's what I used as a "false beginner" to get my Spanish up to a good intermediate level. Like you, I studied Spanish in high school and college, and with the exception of one excellent 11th grade teacher, I learned very little. Assimil is great because it only takes about 30 minutes per day, and you can use the rest of your time to listen to music, watch TV shows, etc. You'll be spending about 5 months with Assimil, and I promise you in those 5 months you will make up for all of that "wasted time" in high school and college.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6450 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 19
24 December 2013 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
I find these threads interesting. I note that Destinos seems to be common ground. If you have the desire to "consume media" or use "native materials" from the beginning you should try Destinos. It is a telenovela designed for the beginning language learner. Because it is designed by experts for beginning Spanish it will be much more efficient for learning than other native materials will be.
It all depends on your approach. Barry Farber suggests getting a newspaper in the target language and starting from the first article on the first page. It will take days, but the next one will be easier and by the time you go through the whole newspaper you'll have learned a lot.

In the modern world, finding the materials in most languages is no problem, so you can be more selective. If you read about things that really interest you, you will be far more motivated.

Of course if we're speaking about the extensive use of native materials, Destinos is the best option in the beginning. But especially for intensive reading, the best materials are the ones you'll actually read, whatever they are. In a similar vein, if any of your favourite celebrities are Spanish-speaking, you can watch short clips with them repeatedly :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4521 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 13 of 19
24 December 2013 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
''What is the best way to learn Spanish?''

Listen and repeat. :)

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3997 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 14 of 19
24 December 2013 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
I started learning Spanish in May 2013, and I'm very happy with my progress so far. My main tools as a beginner
were Destinos, Notes in Spanish podcasts, Skype tutors/language partners, songs, children's books and an
accessible grammar workbook (Practice Makes Perfect). If I were starting over again, I'd use the exact same
approach. I'm an impulsive procrastinator. If it isn't fun, then I probably won't do it. And 7 months later, this
impulsive procrastinator is still happily putting in 2 hours of Spanish every day.

I don't doubt that a step-by-step approach with specific programs (like the one suggested by James29) is ideal
in many ways, but you have to figure out what works for you.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4762 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 15 of 19
29 December 2013 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
There has been a lot of advice, and we run the risk of drowning you in good ideas. I am going to add Duolingo to the mix. I wish it had existed when I started learning French. A lot of people have started Duolingo, and quit after a month. The problem is that it is addictive, and (judging by the points they got) they burnt out from doing it too much. I did the same thing, but have returned to it after about 6 months. Now I'm trying to limit myself to 15-20 minutes a day on Duolingo so I don't burn out again.

Duolingo will not teach you the language on its own (so please, nobody write an objection to it on these grounds). But it fits in nicely as a fun supplemental resource, to use alongside whatever else you choose to use to learn Spanish.

Just FYI, if you complete the Spanish skill tree on Duolingo, you will have learned 1571 words (and word strength "decays" over time, so you have to keep them up... all part of the fun!) If you use Michel Thomas you learn about 500 words, and the same goes for Pimsleur. Assimil covers about 2500 words (but you don't necessarily learn them all). The reason MT and Pimsleur don't teach as much vocab is, (1) they have different focuses (verb use in MT, speaking in Pimsleur), and (2) they are all-audio courses, so there's just not the time to cover any more vocabulary.

AML
United States
Joined 6678 days ago

323 posts - 426 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 16 of 19
01 January 2014 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
Do these programs in this order and you will learn Spanish:

Pimsleur 1
Michel Thomas Foundations
Pimsleur 2
Michel Thomas Foundations again
Assimil
Michel Thomas Advanced two times
Assimil Active wave
FSI

Then jump into native materials!

To the original poster (OP): keep in mind that this type of program COULD be *tremendously* boring for you. It depends on your style of learning languages. I would suggest trying
many different approaches in the beginning to see what you enjoy.

Lyrics Training, for example, is quite enjoyable.

At the very least, if you follow the above type of program, throw in some more fun things each day (music, read Harry Potter, watch movies, etc) to keep your motivation up.

EDIT: I second Destinos. It's great.

Edited by AML on 01 January 2014 at 12:35am

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version