19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6450 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 17 of 19
01 January 2014 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
And they aren't necessary. By the time I got my hands on FSI Finnish I had learned it all from other sources.
1 person has voted this message useful

Dominique01
United States
Joined 3891 days ago

5 posts - 7 votes

Message 18 of 19
02 January 2014 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
I've been studying with Visual Link Spanish and find it to be a great program. It may look a bit out of date in terms of the look and design, but the approach is nice and easy enough, yet effective. The goal is to make you conversational in Spanish as opposed to cramming grammar rules you may have trouble applying, but the grammar seems to be sticking with me, too. I did some of their basic free classes, then upgraded to proper (paid) Level 1, and a few months later purchased a lifetime membership of their Digital Learning Center, plus Spanish Comprehension Trainer to improve my comprehension skills. For the price (less than 300 dollars total), I found it to be a bargain!

Less than a year later, I'm happy with the results. Hope this helps and best of luck.

P.S.you can also check out their Youtube channel to get a better idea.

jpmtl
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 3855 days ago

44 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 19 of 19
02 January 2014 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
I find duolingo rather tedious and boring, especially as sentences get more and more complex and acceptable translations are not always accepted. I didn't want to give up midway so I was still doing one lesson a day in Spanish but then after trying the French version out of curiosity, I realized their product hasn't been seriously reviewed by natives, so I gave up entirely.

What is working for me right now is watching documentaries for hours every day. There are many on youtube (like crimenes imperfectos, for example).

Edited by jpmtl on 02 January 2014 at 7:27pm

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version