Poland
Joined 3858 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Polish*
Studies: English, German, Italian, Spanish

Message 1 of 10
26 December 2013 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
Saludos amigos!,

I've got one problem. I don't know which language should I pick and learn: Spanish or
Italian. The problem is: I already did some progress in my Spanish (~1500 words on
Memrise and completed Pimsleur I and II). My strategy was to complete Pimsleur III and
while doing that learn new words on Memrise. But! There is project in my school im in.
It's Comenius's 2 years student-exchange project called "Mens Sana in Corpore Sano" - a
healthy mind in a healthy body. The participants from Poland will travel to Italy in
May 2014 and Italian student will come to Poland in May 2015. I really want to learn as
much Italian as I can to show them my best sides (Idk if I wrote that correctly :P).
Unfortunately, only 10 people can go. There is ~20 people (including me) in the group,
so there's risk I won't go. That would be my first time abroad. I've never traveled
further than to Warsaw and I never stayed with foreign family for 2 weeks neither.

So, here is my question, because you guys are very experienced in learning foreign
languages - should I pause learning Spanish and begin Italian (here can be the risk) or
just ignore Italian and keep learning Spanish. I like both the languages.

Our 20-hours Italian course will begin in January, same like the skype conversations
with the students.

Greetings, Peradius.
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3900 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 2 of 10
27 December 2013 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
Hi,
my advice is, since Italian and Spanish are relatives, to not stop studying Spanish for
Italian...
- if you study Italian before having solid foundations in Spanish you're going to ruin
your Spanish and have a lot of troubles in Italian
- faking Italian it's easy if you know Spanish :D :D
- Italian people, if you say three words in Italian with a terrible pronunciation, are
already happy enough to offer you a coffee and/or invite you for dinner :)
4 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4762 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 3 of 10
28 December 2013 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:

- if you study Italian before having solid foundations in Spanish you're going to ruin

What does this mean, "ruin your Spanish"? Plenty of people have studied more than one language before gaining a "solid foundation" in the first they studied (whatever a "solid foundation" means, anyway). The only "danger" is that you enjoy Italian so much that you never go back to Spanish. But if you actually enjoy what you're doing, that's what matters.

You mentioned that only 10 out of 20 people in your group will get to go to Italy. If you study Italian, and make sure the project leaders are aware of the extra effort you are making, then you will be an obvious choice to be one of the 10 who gets to go to Italy.

Edited by Jeffers on 28 December 2013 at 2:33am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6450 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 10
28 December 2013 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
IDK about Poland, but here in Russia speaking Spanish or even just good English would be considered an advantage in this situation. It's fine to treat it mostly as an opportunity to travel and get to know the Italian people and culture.

But you seem excited about Italian. If so, go for it! You can always come back to Spanish if you want. There will be no permanent damage but if you have all these opportunities your Italian will probably be better than your Spanish by the time the project ends.

Edited by Serpent on 28 December 2013 at 3:21am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Peradius
Poland
Joined 3858 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 5 of 10
28 December 2013 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for replies, guys. Working language in this project is English. There is points
system. First 10 people who have the most points can go. You can gain point by
participation on the P.E lessons (it's sport project by the way :P), final grade from
English, P.E and behavior, and much more. I don't know if there are any extra points for
Italian language knowledge. I will ask the teacher when I'll be back in school. Greetings
:)

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3900 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 6 of 10
28 December 2013 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
tristano wrote:

What does this mean, "ruin your Spanish"? Plenty of people have studied more than one language before gaining a
"solid foundation" in the first they studied (whatever a "solid foundation" means, anyway).

Sorry, I didn't express myself properly. I refer to the risk of having interferences between the two languages since
they are related. Usually is not advisable to study simultaneously two related languages.
But of course, if the thread owner has a great passion for Italian, it's a great thing to go for it ;)

Peradius
Poland
Joined 3858 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 7 of 10
02 January 2014 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
Unfortunately, knowledge of Italian hasn't any special effect on the departure. But I'll
keep learning this language. I hope I'll go there in May. If not, I will be sad D-:
Greetings!

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3860 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 8 of 10
02 January 2014 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
Ooh! This sounds so exciting! I bet you're gonna love it and have so much fun! If you think the chances of you getting to be one of the lucky 10 is good, I would jump right on Italian without a second thought!

I disagree with you that knowledge of Italian won't make a difference. I think that if you show a considerable interest in the Italian language and culture, the people in charge of this thing would definetly see you a worthy candidate.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version