Netherlands
Joined 3991 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 20
27 December 2013 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
Hi guys!
In brief, I'm starting with Mandarin with no previous experience with Asian languages.
In this moment I'm also starting Persian and hacking Dutch.
I noticed that Mandarin is a totally different beast.

I tried with a podcast for Mandarin absolute beginners, was ununderstandable to me
because they supposed I'm already aware of how tones work. So I watched 3-4 different
video on Youtube of teacher that explained how to use tones, and I have to say that
it's quite clear even if I have difficulties in recognizing the second tone. Then, I
procured myself Pimsleur. After 2 minute, I dropped it. The way the speaker talks
doesn't allow me to understand perfectly all the tones, so to me it's completely
useless and also dangerous.

So, it is evident to me that I cannot start with a spoken resource. Nothing bad,
different language, different methods :)

But... it's plenty of resources, how can I choose? There are textbooks, there is
Assimil, there is ChinesePod (monthly subscription), popup Chinese (free)... It's ok to
pay for the resouces, but I don't have a clear idea of how to start and by using what.

I ask you for advices... (again :) )
Thank you in advance (as usual) for your great (as usual) availability!
1 person has voted this message useful

nj24
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4607 days ago

56 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian, French

Message 2 of 20
27 December 2013 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
I started this thread on Mandarin Chinese resources that might be helpful:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=37457&PN=1&TPN=1

Have you looked at the FSI Mandarin course?

Edited by nj24 on 27 December 2013 at 12:47am

2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3991 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 3 of 20
27 December 2013 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
Hi!
I actually read some days ago your thread. But I'm still confused :)
I took a look for FSI course, it can be really useful for spoken part, but I noticed that
it doesn't teach how to write and uses only pinyin. So I image it's only a part of the
process. And also: it's recommended to use it since the very beginning? Which resources
can teach me the basics of how characters work? As I understood, there is a lot of logic
behind them. I understood that my primary focus has to be in learning and remembering
words and not disjointed characters, but there is some "milestone" resource for this?
Thank you :)

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4197 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 20
27 December 2013 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
I did a little experiment thingie with writing some characters down. I wrote twenty most common characters a total of fifteen times by hand on a notebook and I can recognize the characters I've handwritten from almost any text. In order to be considered literate you have to have 2400 characters under your belt, so if you were to spend the time to write something like eight characters on a notebook ten times every day, except for one day of the week when you would revise the week's characters, it would take you exactly one year to become acquainted with that amount of characters via handwriting, and if you worked with grammar and reading and all I'm sure you could achieve great things.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3991 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 5 of 20
28 December 2013 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Hi Henkkles!
Worst enemy is time. In order to fight this problem I have to organise myself really well. I think 8 characters per
day is overambitious for me. 4 should be already a great achievement I guess, if I don't want to drop Dutch, Farsi
and French (English is impossible to drop, it's now part of my life).
Anyway, also if I can do it (it would be awesome), I need to know how to start, it's the scariest part for me :)

Edited by tristano on 28 December 2013 at 12:22am

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5369 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 6 of 20
28 December 2013 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
Hi OP, just because I am very curious about Mandarin nowadays myself, would you mind
directing me to these YouTube videos you saw which you thought explained tones the best?

I tried searching, but there are a ton of them...

Thanks!

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3991 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 7 of 20
28 December 2013 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
Hi Leurre,
   well I didn't watch a lot of them, but there are two that I liked (surely there can be others better):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZB9-vZFesk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNowZLaQqAU

My methods of choice were really random :P I watched the first one because the girl is very cute and the second one
because the guy is really chinese :P But I found the two really clear. For sure you can find a lot of them and find
really good explanations.

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5672 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 8 of 20
28 December 2013 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
There is a book by Heisig titled "Remembering simplified Hanzi" which is only about the characters. It doesn't teach the pronunciation. But in this book the characters are grouped from the simplest to more complicated, it's really cleverly done.
I've been flirting with the idea of learning Mandarin myself and I think this book looks really good. Also, Assimil course is always worth a try.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version