24 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
culebrilla
United States
Joined 3850 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 9 of 24
29 December 2013 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
Here in the US you would just study law. :)

A lot of law students majored in political science as college students. Aside from another language which, I really don't think will help you with your job situation, can you study something else that you like? Will your political science classes "count" for a more advanced degree in a masters or doctoral program?

I'm probably much more pragmatic and practical than most folks here so I would really just recommend doing something to help you get a job or have a business. Professional degree programs (law, medicine, engineering, pharmacy) are very stable...
1 person has voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3935 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 10 of 24
29 December 2013 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
A language (apart from English) will only increase your employment prospects in the
country where that language is spoken. And there, you need at least a C1. Unless you are
planning to emigrate to a different country, I agree with culebrilla.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4762 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 11 of 24
29 December 2013 at 1:50am | IP Logged 
Hungringo wrote:
I have a degree in political science, which - without postgraduate training - is pretty much just a piece of paper. I run a second-hand bookstore. Aren't I hopeless? :-(

I am guessing you studied what you wanted to, and did the work which interested you. That's the key to being satisfied in work. Find what you like, and find a way to make money out of it. I love books, so I am full of respect for you running a 2nd hand bookstore.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4143 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 12 of 24
29 December 2013 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
In the UK, law (as well as medicine) is an undergraduate degree. This explains why there
are 20-21 year old lawyers, and 22-23 year old doctors. LLB (law) and MBChB (medicine)
are usually not studied at postgraduate level if I remember correctly.

Working in a different country requires a different language, and EU citizens probably
have the easiest immigration regulations for living in the Eurozone countries, so it
helps tremendously. I had classmates who have lived in three or four countries both
during and after graduation (including the UK itself).

Edited by 1e4e6 on 29 December 2013 at 2:09am

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3850 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 13 of 24
29 December 2013 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
Well, you guys call it an "undergraduate" degree but you still need six years of post HS education to get your MD, I believe. So the foreign doctors that I know, whether from Mexico or Europe, are usually 24 when they finish medicine. Here we get our doctorate of medicine when we are 26; two years after you guys. In case you didn't know we have four years of college (18-22) followed by four years of medicine (22-26). Then residency, which lasts 3-7 years. (29-33). Law is three years after college, so lawyers in the US are 25 when they finish.

I'm not saying that learning new languages is not helpful, but it is very inefficient in terms of earning a living, which really should be our first focus in life. If you can't provide for yourself or your family, you're in trouble. Once you have a stable job then the hobbies can be entertained. If the OP decided to learn German to a high level, let's say 5,000 hours, he could have gotten a two years masters in that time to help himself a LOT professionally. In contrast, the economic utility of speaking good German WITHOUT any other meangingful skills is fairly dubious.
5 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4143 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 14 of 24
29 December 2013 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
In the UK, and I think Ireland as well, the MBChB is five years. I did not enter
medicine, but I entered university at 17. My mother also entered university at 17 years
of age. So if a MBChB student enters at 17, I suppose that s/he could graduate at 22 as
a new doctor. There is no residency, as the course covers everything if I remember
correctly. I think that law is three years, but I may be wrong because I never applied
for anything related to law. I suppose that a 17 year old LLB student could graduate at
20 as lawyer technically.

I had some acquaintances in university who were in the process of learning languages in
addition to the three or four that they already had. I remember one woman who was in my
society, from Norway, who knew English, French, and German, and went to university in
the Netherlands and then postgraduate in the UK and now I think works in France. Then
there was a Belgian woman whom I met at a society dinner who knew English, French,
Dutch, German, and Spanish and was learning Portuguese and Swedish during the summer
term breaks of her course. I am not sure why, but she already had quite a lot of
languages already. I wish I had their language skills.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 29 December 2013 at 10:01am

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3841 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 15 of 24
29 December 2013 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions and address my doubts. I'll heed your advice and will concentrate on my Spanish and will try to move from C1 to C2. Perhaps by attaining near-native fluency I could get into teaching.

Of course, I still might study other languages, especially French and German, even if it is just for fun and personal satisfaction.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5385 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 24
29 December 2013 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
culebrilla wrote:
I'm not saying that learning new languages is not helpful, but it is very inefficient in terms of earning a living, which really should be our first focus in life. If you can't provide for yourself or your family, you're in trouble. Once you have a stable job then the hobbies can be entertained.

I agree with culebrilla that languages are typically of little professional use to an English speaker in an English-speaking country. (Although putting 1,000 hours into Spanish might pay off quite well in certain professions.)

However, I disagree about one thing: Putting off language study until your "hobbies can be entertained" more responsibly. As Khatzumoto points out, that time will never come. Here's a sample:

Quote:
15: Focus on school. You can do that when you’re 25.
20: Focus on graduating college. Don’t dally, just get it out the way. You were so cute when you were 10. But now…
25: Focus on starting your career. You can do that when you’re settled.
30: Shoulda started in college. If you really wanted to, you would have. You were so cute when you were 20. But now…
35: You should start a family. Stop being silly.
40: Shouldn’t have started a family. You have responsibilities now. You were so cute when you were 30. But now…

For those who dream of learning a language, you might as well start now. It's certainly not going to get any easier to find time as you get older. I know a wonderful retired 70-year-old who'd love to speak French, but who still thinks that next year will be a better time to start Assimil.

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version