Germany
Joined 3935 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 1 of 7
29 December 2013 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
I need to learn science stuff (non-memory based) for my work. I have also been
concurrently learning German in order to open Germany as a potential work market.

The work, and work learning take priority.

Is it possible to learn a language without it interfering with other (non-memory based)
learning, for example mathematics/engineering? What is the maximum time one should
devote to language learning in this case?

In the winter holidays, I have been studying German for 3-4 hrs a day, and I have not
been able to do anything else. 1 Assimil lesson + previous lesson review+reading a
coursebook + looking up the new words in the dictionary. It is leaving me exhausted.

Is it possible to make decent progress on a language with only 2-3hrs per WEEK?
Which works out to maybe 2 assimil lessons per week and nothing else. Or 1 assimi
lesson per week+some reading.

Edited by Gemuse on 29 December 2013 at 3:16am

1 person has voted this message useful

kublu
United States
Joined 3883 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 2 of 7
29 December 2013 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
Well, I'm no expert, but 20 minutes a day sounds like it should be enough for steady
progress. Others will give you better insight, but remember that as long as you keep
building upon your knowledge of German everyday, that's decent progress, at least in my
book.

You could try to find ways to sneak in minutes here and there. Podcasts to and from work,
figuring out how you would say something related to your job, etc. Little snippets can
make up a lot. Though, that's up to you to figure out how to do if that sounds like a
good idea.

Again, others will probably have better advice. Good luck to you.
2 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4875 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 7
29 December 2013 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
The Foreign Service Institute found that there students would need around 750 class hours to reach general professional proficiency in speaking and reading. That's under ideal condition's, and not to mention the 3-4 hours a day of homework they would have to complete over about 30 weeks. Language Learning Difficulty

So you are going to have to put in at least this amount of time before you can even think about opening up Germany as a potential market. I guess it depends on when you want to achieve your goal by?

You certainly can make progress with 20 minutes a day, but I find there comes a point where you really have to put the hours in, as you have been doing. Although Assimil shouldn't leave you feeling exhausted, so you may want to tinker with your study schedule.

Have you looked in the sub-section of the forum called "lessons in polyglottery"? Proffesor Arguelles gives some great advice about study schedules in there. I will have a look and see if I can dig out something useful for you.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5228 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 4 of 7
29 December 2013 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
You can certainly make progress on 20 minutes a day. A little every day would be preferable to a bigger chunk on the weekend.

I too make work my priority. Some things to think about are whether or not you can learn for both things at the same time? Can you simply learn your work material in your target language? Maybe not, but I am trying to do that and it is both fun and I feel like I am being doubly productive.

Also, as you progress to higher levels the "studying" time for the language becomes much more relaxing, fun and less intense... watching TV, reading books, etc. Is there something you do just for fun that you could simply do in your target language... read Harry Potter, watch the Simpsons, etc?

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5385 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 7
29 December 2013 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
The work, and work learning take priority.

Is it possible to learn a language without it interfering with other (non-memory based)
learning, for example mathematics/engineering? What is the maximum time one should
devote to language learning in this case?

As dbag points out, you will probably need some periods of intense study sooner or later, especially if your goal is professional proficiency. But that doesn't mean you need to study hard right now. You just need to make some forward progress and not give up.

When I was doing Assimil NFWE, I put in anywhere from 2.5 hours to 7 hours per week, and I managed to do a lesson every day. That was enough to get me to a slightly wobbly A2 in less than 6 months. But I was perfectly willing to let stuff go and to forget anything that wasn't reinforced by later Assimil lessons. You don't need to spend 3 hours on every lesson! In fact, even 1 hour per passive wave lesson would be slightly suspicious. The idea is to be able to be able to understand most of the German audio and nearly all of the German text without looking at the English—not to memorize each lesson.

There are ways to slow Assimil down to about a lesson a week, or even pause it outright, and these methods can be applied very early in the course. But these methods rely heavily on knowing how to use Spaced Repetition software effectively. But there are two downsides: It would take a year or two to reach A2, and most first-time language learners will find some creative way to misuse their spaced repetition software. But if these methods really appeal to you, I'd be willing to write up a longer post explaining them. (I use these techniques for Egyptian.)

Still, I'd focus on getting Assimil down to no more than 30 or 40 minutes for a passive wave lesson first. My guess is that you're probably heavily over-learning each lesson, and that you're not letting enough stuff go. But that's just a guess, and I may be way off target.

And as James29 points out, once you can more-or-less understand native materials, there are lots of agreeable ways to study that can be done in your leisure time. But you may not be at that level yet.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3935 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 6 of 7
29 December 2013 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I'm not at the native level fun part yet. What is the level required for that -
would having completed B1 suffice?

Uptil lesson 21 or so, I could do Assimil in 45 mins per passive wave. Now the time
has doubled (lesson 30 now). I am guessing I am in a semi active stage. Having done
two months of intensive German, I know the grammer (or at least the logic) of the
assimil sentences for the most part. I do however have to look up a lot of the words in
the dictionary. A lot of the time is also spent ruminating over the "language words"
like "noch, mehr, an" or prepositions which are used in several contexts.

The assimil previous lesson revision time has remained stable at 15 minutes or so.

dbag: Thanks for the link. I guess that works out to about 1300hrs to get to complete
b2. I am estimating that I have put in about 150hrs by now. Long long way to go.

EDIT: Did Lesson 31, full concentration, and it took me 65 minutes. Earlier I was being
a bit slow, and taking some breaks. Thats why it was taking me longer. If I'm all
serious, it takes me 65-70 minutes.

Edited by Gemuse on 29 December 2013 at 10:40pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6450 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 7
29 December 2013 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
Depends on the kind of materials. In a European language, music can be useful from the beginning.

I agree that you seem to be overlearning Assimil. You're not supposed to master all the material the first time you go through it.

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version