Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How did you start using native materials?

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
34 messages over 5 pages: 13 4 5  Next >>
Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4862 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 9 of 34
31 December 2013 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Of course, we are all different. There are many books I wouldn't reread. Than there are others I would. I am now rereading a long fantasy series approximately after five years since I read it for the first time and I love it. I've reread for example the Lord of Rings repeatedly and others. It depends. If you know you hate rereading, than avoid it at all costs ;-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4386 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 10 of 34
31 December 2013 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
Hungringo wrote:

I agree with almost everything you say, except this. Of course we are all different, but I personally find re-reading something you already know too boring.

I agree with this, but I think you also have to aim for something that is doable. When I was starting to read German I found most authors too hard to parse. I would have loved to read adult authors but it is just too hard. German is famous for using relatively long sentences, and if your vocabulary is fairly weak, this can mean you have look up and remember several different words to get the sense of a sentence. And of course adult literature is full of idioms that make no sense at all if you are unlucky not to know their meaning. This happens in children's books too -- I remember reading in the first HP that Harry knew at first glance a teacher won't be good to eat cherries with, which means that the she wouldn't be a good person to screw around with -- this happens 100x in adult books.

So I found it much more effective to start with children/young-adult literature and work up.

What is helpful is to find stories that use concrete language (Harry raised his wand; Hermione read her spell book etc) as opposed too much metaphor, which is exactly what children's books generally do, and what adult books don't. In addition to Harry Potter, I found the Percy Jackson series a good, easy read (no contrast with the dreadful films). The Hunger Games was a bit harder, but it's told in the first-person perspective, mostly in the present tense so that's also easy. I had a look at the Game of Throne series and that looks fairly easy, but you'll obviously not be exposed to many contemporary words (e.g., car, telephone etc).

I'd generally recommend series -- both books and TV -- as the vocabulary and expressions tend to get repeated and generally comprehension gets easier as you go along.

Edited by patrickwilken on 31 December 2013 at 4:51pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3841 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 11 of 34
31 December 2013 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
I can only second the importance of watching TV series, preferably those about contemporary daily life. In German for example you could watch "Alles was zahlt". It's 25-30 minutes every day.

http://rtl-now.rtl.de/alles-was-zaehlt.php

Edited by Hungringo on 31 December 2013 at 4:52pm

1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4386 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 12 of 34
31 December 2013 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
Hungringo wrote:
I can only second the importance of watching TV series, preferably those about contemporary daily life. In German for example you could watch "Alles was zahlt". It's 25-30 minutes every day.

But the beauty of German is that there are lots of dubbed TV shows to enjoy and use as learning aids. I can recommend the dubbing on the Breaking Bad set, for instance. In some ways I preferred the German Walter White to the original. And I enjoyed Battlestar Galattica. I plan to watch Game of Thrones and the Walking Dead and Mad Men next year.

Most big name shows appear to come out with German dubbing about a year after the original release.

While none might teach you much about German culture they are all popular. Big Bang Theory is particularly popular for some reason.

You could also watch online for free the very long running German weekly crime show Tatort, which is set and filmed in different cities (all with their own styles). At the moment there is a bit of Tatort marathon over the Silvester holidays on ARD. However, I personally find Tatort much harder to understand than most dubbed shows (with the exception of Mad Men) as the plots can be fairly hard to follow even if you are fluent, but you would certainly learn a lot about German culture watching it.

Edited by patrickwilken on 31 December 2013 at 6:50pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5385 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 34
31 December 2013 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
Wow, lots of good advice in this thread!

When I was just starting with native materials, I found that it helped to splurge a little. Instead of buying one book, I bought several. Most of them ultimately turned out to be too hard, or too boring. But one of them "clicked".

Similarly, the first French TV series I bought was Engrenages. This turns out to be one of the most difficult things on French television. So I tried the radio, podcasts, and all sorts of random stuff before I found the very good French dub of Buffy and some transcripts. One season of this was a breakthrough for me.

So that's my prediction: If you pick one book, or one show, chances are it will be too hard. But if you have the ability to try 3 or 4 or 5, there's a good chance you'll get lucky, and find something that's both easy and fun.

The other thing that's important, as everybody says, is that you need to enjoy kinda-sorta understanding stuff that's above your level. For a ridiculously extreme example, you can watch me flail around happily in the Egyptian team log. The idea is that you read the page, puzzle some stuff out, notice some interesting details, and then move on without worrying about the rest. Multiply this by 500 or 2000 pages, and those little bits you can understand will add up like you wouldn't believe.

Bobb328 wrote:
Not having enough time for LR, I thought I'd try my own way by reading a
chapter of the German while listening to the audio, not marking anything just reading and listening, then reading the
same chapter in English while also listening to the German, then going back and reading the German again with audio.

Sounds like fun!

Here's handy rule of thumb for evaluating "extensive" methods:

1. Are you looking at or listening to something in German?
2. Can you understand at least some of it? (Creative cheating is encouraged!)
3. Are you having fun?

If the answers to these three questions are "yes", I personally find that the other details tend to be less important.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Bobb328
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4438 days ago

52 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 14 of 34
31 December 2013 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Wow really good advice from everyone. I haven't read most of the books I have at my disposal with the exception of
Harry Potter a long time ago. Luckily I have tons of ebooks in both German and English every book of entire series'
such as Inkwelt, Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, Hunger Games. I really enjoy reading, anything really, so I don't think
I'll get bored. As for TV, I've always found it more difficult to understand. I've seen every episode of Mad Men, are
there any shows you'd particularly recommend?
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3997 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 15 of 34
31 December 2013 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
I found Harry Potter too hard as my first book. I read three or four Roald Dahl books first, followed by
Despereaux, and those prepared me well for HP. This year I'm hoping to read the rest of the HP books, the
Hunger Games trilogy and the Percy Jackson books - so we have a lot of similar books, albeit in different
languages!

News articles with related video are an easy way to get into native material.

I second the suggestion to watch dubbed shows. I was actually kind of snobby about dubbed shows, but now that
I've started watching Buffy, it turns out that it's really easy to get used to dubbing. I watch native shows as well,
with English subtitles (since the other people in my house watch with me). Even with the subtitles, I find that I'm
picking up a lot of the language. It also drives my husband crazy when I shout out "No! That translation's wrong!"
Haha! Sometimes I'll take a few minutes later on to watch a scene from the show without subtitles, just to
practice a bit more

So…long story short…I think that once the "learn to speak" resources start getting boring, it's time to move on.
Of course it's going to be difficult at first. Just give yourself time, don't panic when you don't understand
something, and don't be afraid to reread, relisten or rewatch something more than once.

Edited by Stelle on 31 December 2013 at 7:32pm

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3841 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 16 of 34
31 December 2013 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
As to TV series I would stress the importance of daily input. 25 minutes soap opera a day is worth more than watching an entire saga at the weekend. That's why I would recommend in German "Alles was zahlt". In French you have "Plus belle la vie".

I normally prefer national programmes to dubbed ones due to the cultural factor. Learning a language is not just about putting words together, but also about knowing and understanding the cultural context.

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version