Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How did you start using native materials?

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
34 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 35  Next >>
patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4477 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 25 of 34
01 January 2014 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Patrick, thanks a lot for the tips on good dubbed series in German! I have been considering the BSG for some time, your info is certainly helpful and encouraging.

On the other hand, are there any dubbings to avoid? I know the quality varies, in Czech there are shows I would certainly recommend to learners and others whose creators should be punished for mutilation of the series. So, are there any that are better to avoid?

And are there any original German series that are good? It's not only Germans that find most German series to be dumb and low quality (that's quite a common view of Czechs concerning German crime series but it may be just the wrong taste of those responsible for the programm of Czech tv channels). I am sure there must be something fun among the original German production.

BSG is great, and there is a lot of episodes to enjoy and learn from. I found it relatively hard, but I started watching it when I was B1 so it's hard to judge how hard it really is. There is a surprising lot of material for a scifi show covering broad themes like politics, religion, philosophy etc.that are all generally useful.

I personally haven't found any shows where the dubbing was particularly bad. I also go the cinema here and find the dubbing is really good (even though I was a snob too about dubbing until I started learning German). In the last few months I have regularly been going to the cinema and enjoying dubbed films not only from the US, and UK, but also France, Spain, Chile etc. The whole market here revolves around dubbing, and there are only a very few cinemas you can see films in the original (forget about this in smaller towns like Magdeburg). My wife who grew up near the Dutch border, would go on school excursions to Holland, so they would watch English language films in the cinema.

One thing that surprised me is that accents etc that are used to denote in English shows class etc are lost in the dubbing. The most extreme example I know is The Wire, where both blacks and whites speak in the same Hoch Deutsch. Great for learners, not so great for the shows.

I really don't think there are that many good German series out there at the moment. I borrow videos from both the local video store and the library (good tip for anyone living in Germany!) here in Berlin and there aren't any German series that you can borrow, other than some episodes of Tatort at the library. There are, however, lots and lots of US shows dubbed. All successful HBO shows come out with about a 12 month delay (I'm still waiting on the last episodes of Breaking Bad, for instance). I am not sure how recent a phenomenon this is. I haven't seen older shows on offer like Star Trek, Buffy etc. So this is either a recent phenomenon or it is hard to access shows dating back more than about five years in the video store.

As I said Tatort is really the classic murder-crime show dating back to the 1970s. What makes it unique is that it is filmed by different local stations across Germany (as well as Zürich and Vienna), all with their own crime teams, all with their own styles. Different people like different teams better. I like for instance Kiel and Leipzig and Vienna, all of which have darker stories, and find the Münster and Weimar teams a bit silly. You will get a lot about German culture and concerns watching the show. It's not preachy, but it does cover issues like human trafficking, crime within immigrant communities, etc; a recent show revolved around a battle in Brandenburg between a local village that didn't want a pack of wolves that had moved into the area with an environmentalist (a wolf was recently killed on the Berlin Ringbahn!). The quality varies a lot, it's certainly not a flashy CSI type affair, more old fashioned mid-budget crime procedural show that always starts with a murder and ends with the murderer being caught (something about German culture right there! I bet the French wouldn't necessarily do that.). However, as it's often hard for native speakers to know what's going on in the plot it can be hard for German learners to follow. In Berlin there are about 50 bars that show it live on Sunday evenings, and often offer beers associated with the particular city team of the week. German learning at it's best!

At least here in Germany you can watch the latest episode free on ARD:

http://www.daserste.de/unterhaltung/krimi/tatort/index.html

Edited by patrickwilken on 01 January 2014 at 4:41pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3932 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 26 of 34
01 January 2014 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
I have noticed that my taste is very different from most of yours, but perhaps you might like Pumuckl. Although it is basically a children's programme I find it very funny even with my very limited German. Most episodes are on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGwtVhHd0JQ

I also liked Das Erbe der Guldenburgs. Not on youtube, but you can buy it on DVD or download it from somewhere.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Erbe_der_Guldenburgs

4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6541 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 27 of 34
01 January 2014 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Hungringo wrote:
As to TV series I would stress the importance of daily input. 25 minutes soap opera a day is worth more than watching an entire saga at the weekend. That's why I would recommend in German "Alles was zahlt". In French you have "Plus belle la vie".

That's exactly what I don't agree with. In vast majority of learning related things, it is certainly true but this is an exception from my experience. I have found a few massive doses (at least four or five 45-50 minutes episodes in a row) to have incredible effects when I am beginning to watch things in a new languages, even though probably noone can afford to do this every day for a few weeks.

25 minutes a day, that is nearly useless and totally demotivating at the beginnings. You just aren't giving the brain enough time to get immersed, get drawn into the story enough to stop worrying "this is another language, I don't understand as much as I want.". You cannot progress that much during just 25 minutes and repeating the same process with little result day after day, that may be no fun. And no fun means no progress in this context.

The best is a combination, of course. A bit every day with a few massive doses during the first weekend or two.

The same applies to books. A friend is using a book I lent her similarily. Small doses. And she hasn't improved much in months. I don't know, perhaps she is too busy or perhaps she doesn't find it fun. But I think the trouble is that she lets the "lack of success" during her reading sessions (a few pages each) drive her away. If you want to progress, get something not too hard, something to make you desire to read "just one more page" all the time, and spend a day reading. Or at least an evening. After a few such, you will surely progress and can continue by a few pages here and there, as your schedule allows.
So true!!! The concept of flow is important here. It's like with LR too, only, you can afford shorter sessions because you're no longer a beginner.

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5242 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 28 of 34
01 January 2014 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

And are there any original German series that are good?

One of my favourite series was "Muenchner Geschichten" by Helmut Dietl.
(Muenchner Geschichten)
Now, as hard to believe as it may be, I am old enough to have watched the original broadcast, back in 1974, as a child and find the episodes still worth watching. The actors are excellent, it is funny and melancholic at the same time and overall a real classic, imo.
(btw, the great Therese Giehse in one of her last performances as Anna Häusler should not go unmentioned.)
If someone gives it a try I would love to hear what you think. (Wikipedia says that there is a DVD version, too.)

Edited by lingoleng on 01 January 2014 at 6:58pm

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4313 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 29 of 34
01 January 2014 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
Here's what I did with German, but I don't necessarily think I would recommend all of what I did, because it was completely disorganized.

I was probably around an A2 level and started going to Deutsche Welle and just reading the articles there. I did a lot of the Top Thema Mit Vokabeln and learned some great vocabulary that way. Even in English I really have come to a point where I just hate reading or watching the news, so I always tried to stick to articles that were interesting to me (once I got past Top Thema I moved on to reading more health-related articles). It took about 3 months and I was much more comfortable reading and understanding than I had been.

I watched several dubbed series as well. I guess I have an eclectic taste, but I watched Roseanna, Little House on the Prairie, and Charmed. The first two actually worked pretty well dubbed, although there are certain elements of the time period and social class that are lost. What I liked about those two was that the voice actors really did make an effort to do a good job, and the characters in the German versions have very different personalities from the ones in the English versions. It's really interesting how much things like voice intonation can change your impression of someone. Charmed was okay, but I don't know that I would recommend it. The acting wasn't that great in my opinion, and it was very difficult to form a "relationship" with any of the characters.

In general, if you're going to do a dubbed series, I personally would stay away from "language dependent" shows (Big Bang Theory comes to mind) where a lot of the humor is based on the language itself. I've found that the equivalent either doesn't match up, or if it does, I don't know enough of the cultural context to understand the humor.
1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4477 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 30 of 34
01 January 2014 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
Fuenf_Katzen wrote:

In general, if you're going to do a dubbed series, I personally would stay away from "language dependent" shows (Big Bang Theory comes to mind) where a lot of the humor is based on the language itself. I've found that the equivalent either doesn't match up, or if it does, I don't know enough of the cultural context to understand the humor.

Funnily "Big Bang Theory" seems somewhat of a cult show amongst younger Germans I know in Berlin. I don't watch in personally, but I get the impression that the dubbed show is really big here.

I agree with intonation. I love the film Inception, and generally thought the dubbing was great, but found the Michael Caine voice didn't match my image of the actor in anyway which distracted me.

In Germany the dubbing is usually done by the same person film after film, so if you are lucky to get attached to a up-and-coming actor you can do well I think.

With "language dependent shows" for me a lot the problem is not cultural context, but simply having a strong enough grasp of the language to really appreciate the subtle play of words. I suspect you need to be B2+ to really enjoy some shows that are heavily language dependent.

Edited by patrickwilken on 01 January 2014 at 7:32pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 31 of 34
01 January 2014 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
Bobb328 wrote:
I know similar questions have been asked many times, however, I'm
still confused as to when people devote most of
their time to native materials. I've been studying German for about a year and a half
and still cannot read and
understand most native material. I completed Assimil a long time ago, did some bits and
pieces of courses, and am
now lesson 5 of Living Language Ultimate German Advanced but I'm finding it incredibly
dull. I can hardly keep my
focus just listening through the dialogues they're so boring. In fact I find this the
case with many "advanced" books
with the exception of Perfectionnement Allemand but translating the French to English
took WAY too long. I thought
I'd take a shot at just using native materials just to see how it goes. I've tried just
reading German books, however,
even easy books like Hunger Games I can still only understand the slightest gist of
what's going on. Although It's
definitely more enjoyable than LL.

So, I think I may just jump into native material as my main source of learning. I own
Tintenherz (Inkheart) German and
English editions with the German audiobook. Not having enough time for LR, I thought
I'd try my own way by reading a
chapter of the German while listening to the audio, not marking anything just reading
and listening, then reading the
same chapter in English while also listening to the German, then going back and reading
the German again with audio.

Basically, what I'm asking is when/how did you decide to mainly use native materials
and does my system sound like a
good method to use? Has anyone tried something similar? I have several YA books in both
German and English that
would be good to use. Or do you think it would be better to complete Living Language
(god help me) and then move
on to reading actual German material. Thanks!

Hi Bobb328,

I think Tintenherz is a good choice for a learner of German - better than Harry Potter
for example, for the simple reason that it's originally written in German, and as you
will come to realise, if you don't already, that translations are never perfect. The
German you are reading there is what the original author intended, and is not the messy
compromise that a translation from English to German would have been. But what about
the English translation? Isn't that a messy compromise? Yes, of course, but because
it's your native language, you will be able to work out when the translation works
well, and when it's a bit "lumpy", especially as you get more and more into German and
gradually get behind the underlying meanings, which will take time.

And your version of L-R sounds good to me.

However, the main reason for my posting was to suggest something else, which is to
prepare your own parallel text. I've realised since I've been doing this that I get
more out of this exercise than I would simply by reading a parallel text.

Doing a whole book would probably take more time than you have available, but you might
try just a chapter, or even just a few pages.

You need the original and a translation both in digital text form. You said you had
loads of German and English e-books. Hopefully that includes some English translations
of German. You can use the free Calibre software to convert the e-books to .txt files.

You then need something like
Aglona Reader
which is some rather interesting free software.

It is both a parallel book reader and can be used as an editor to create parallel
books. It takes some getting used to, but once you do get used to it, it's easy to use.

As I say, I'd just start with a chapter, or even just a few pages, and see how you go.
The best translations for parallel books are literal ones, which average translations
usually are not. So what I've been doing is re-translating as I go, trying to make it
more literal (but still keeping it as grammatical English). There are a few little
tricks you can use, and I'd be happy to try to help if you get stuck.

You will notice that sometimes the translator has broken longer sentences into several
shorter ones, or vice-versa, and what I often do then is try to put it back into the
same sentence pattern as it was in the original, although that doesn't always work.

I think you will find that it's a rather interesting and instructive process.

Note that the value of Aglona Reader is that the text is aligned manually and
not automatically. This means that it takes longer to align a text with AR than it
would by some other processes, but the manual process is of benefit to both the person
doing the aligning and also anyone coming afterwards just reading it. The aligner is
pretty much forced to read every single sentence in both TL and NL (which is why it is
not a particularly quick process, although AR does actually provide some semi-
automation, but even with this, every phrase or sentence ("fragment" in the AR jargon)
has to be "signed off" by a human aligner.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4953 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 32 of 34
01 January 2014 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Fuenf_Katzen wrote:

Funnily "Big Bang Theory" seems somewhat of a cult show amongst younger Germans I know in Berlin. I don't watch in personally, but I get the impression that the dubbed show is really big here.

In Germany the dubbing is usually done by the same person film after film, so if you are lucky to get attached to a up-and-coming actor you can do well I think.

With "language dependent shows" for me a lot the problem is not cultural context, but simply having a strong enough grasp of the language to really appreciate the subtle play of words. I suspect you need to be B2+ to really enjoy some shows that are heavily language dependent.

The Big Bang Theory is, in my opinion, one of the shows where every dubbing is much much worse than the original. While some shows have better and worse dubbings, some are just too tied to the language (in jokes, characters and their particular ways of speech and so on) that it is not worth watching them in anything else. For example, the Czech Sheldon sounds only like a worthless moron and is not funny at all.

About the actors dubbing lots of films, that is exactly one of the main reasons why I mostly dislike dubbing and why I hate the Czech dubbing almost entirely. It is not fun to have hundreds of foreign actors reduced to just ten or so voices who are nowadays popular in the dubbing field. I already threw away a few shows dubbed in French because the voices were the same as those I already know too much. :-(

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version