Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How did you start using native materials?

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
34 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4
Avid Learner
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4515 days ago

100 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 33 of 34
02 January 2014 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
I started incorporating native material after perhaps 4 to 5 months of study. I first went with comics I had read as a child. I'm the kind of person who has no problem reading multiple times books I've read in the past, as long as I've *really* liked them. I do it in my native language too; to me it's not about finding out what will happen next, but rather to immerse myself back in an "environment" I've enjoyed.

Those comics were a perfect start for me, because the sentences are usually rather short and I could follow despite my limitations since I knew the stories well enough. My ability to read German was suddenly bumped from the moment I learned how past participles worked. Prior to that, reading was rather difficult.

I then moved on to a manga translated into German that I had never read before, so it was a little more challenging, but not discouraging. At the same time, I used the Top Thema on the Deutsche Welle website to add variety and vocabulary. Then I started watching TV.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5096 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 34 of 34
05 January 2014 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
In terms of original German shows, one of the SOKOs (SOKO Leipzig is the one I've watched the most) are easier than Tatort - they also have the same characters in most episodes, so it's good for getting used to the characters voices. Getting DVDs is a bit of a pain, as they seem to have released the first season of SOKO Leipzig and then years later started from series 9.

Der letzte Zeuge is also pretty good - about a medical examiner. I think this is a bit more difficult that SOKO.

Türkisch für Anfänger is a good series for lots of slang and different ways of speaking. (Apparently there's also a film version, but I've not seen it and the reviews on imdb say it's really bad...) The series is apparently used in German lessons is Swedish schools!
3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version