Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3893 days ago

12 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Slovenian

Message 1 of 5
01 January 2014 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
I've been studying French since May 2013 and in that time I'm about B2 in some areas
A2/B1 in others. I was wondering what Pimsleur and Assimil are like and if I should have
used them earlier or if they're at my level (lower intermediate)?
Is it worth getting them? Will I learn anything? Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3905 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 5
01 January 2014 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
If you are at A2-B1 level, my experience suggests that you have already progressed well beyond the Pimsleur method. As a follow-up, I recommend:

COURSES
Assimil
Linguaphone (but not at the regular prices, at the reduced prices only).
FSI Basic French (mind numbing drills, freely available at the FSI-Language-Courses.com)(Note1: the sound quality is poor, but the drills are very helpful) (Note2: use an mp3 file splitter to cut the files into digestible chunks)

ADDITIONAL MATERIAL FOR DEVELOPING VOCABULARY
Graded Readers with audio (A1-B2)
Think French! (this is an online audio magazine at B1-B2 level)
Librivox website (freely available C1-C2 classic literature)
Books Should Be Free website (freely available C1-C2 classic literature)

Bonne chance!

5 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5385 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 5
01 January 2014 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
demie wrote:
I've been studying French since May 2013 and in that time I'm about B2 in some areas A2/B1 in others.

The quality of the advice you receive here will depend on how well people can guess your current level. Since you gave your level in CEFRL terms, you might want to double-check the COE self-assessment checklist and make sure that you're in the right ballpark. Or if that seems too formal for you, just go ahead and describe what you can already do in French, are what you're trying to master right now.

demie wrote:
I was wondering what Pimsleur and Assimil are like and if I should have
used them earlier or if they're at my level (lower intermediate)?
Is it worth getting them? Will I learn anything? Thanks

In general, Assimil's New French with Ease will get most people to around A2, though it's possible some people might reach B1. At B1 or above, NFWE is maybe worth skimming quickly, but that's it. Assimil's Using French has lots of material that might be interesting in the B1/B2 range, but if it's your only contact with French, it will never get you to B2 on its own. Assimil's Business French, however, really does cover the kind of things you might see on a DELF B2 Pro exam (the business version of the DELF B2).
6 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5418 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 4 of 5
01 January 2014 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
In what areas have you attained CEFR B2? How are you rating this? Do you mean you have
B2 in one or more of the four 'competences' of CEFR? I say this because 7 months seems
to me a relative short time to get to such a level.

As well as the tests emk suggested, you can do some CEFR exam practice here based on
real CEFR tests:

http://www.bonjourdefrance.co.uk/learn-french-online/delf-pr eparation.html

demie
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3893 days ago

12 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Slovenian

Message 5 of 5
01 January 2014 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
In what areas have you attained CEFR B2? How are you rating this? Do
you mean you have B2 in one or more of the four 'competences' of CEFR? I say this
because 7 months seems to me a relative short time to get to such a level

I get where you're coming from, I wouldn't believe me either xD Basically, I blundered
along for two months then I began doing French A-Levels except I'm doing both years in
one year. Due to various things, I'm the only person in
my second year class so I basically get 3 hours of private tutoring a week as well as
first year class time, all that being on top of one or two hours a day on my own. I've
basically lived and breathed French for these 7 months.
idk, I can read most things I come across (that's kind of vague..I've read a few
novels, can follow a newspaper okay, that sort of thing?) and my class writing essays
haven't yet dipped below 31 out of 35. It's mostly my listening and speaking that have
lagged behind (I've always found these areas most difficult..something to work on
definitely) because what with cognates and things, I find it's relatively easily to
blag your way through French.
I'm not very well versed in CEFR levels, hence the jumble of levels. Is the etiquette
to take your lowest level in an area as your overall level or is it an average? In
which case I'm A2/B1. I mentioned B2 because, as I said, I'm wondering if those
programs would help me, like there's little point in me doing simple grammar exercises
that I'm already comfortable with (well, except for revision) etc

Andthanks for the advice :D

Edited by demie on 01 January 2014 at 10:06pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version