Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
31 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
MasterMelhem
Australia
Joined 3844 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes

Message 9 of 31
06 January 2014 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
Thanks for your insight Speakeasy. I had a look at the Assimil New French With Ease, and
personally, I don't like how it's structured. I like the whole idea of it, the components
and the explanation, but I don't think it's for me.
1 person has voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5060 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 31
06 January 2014 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
If you like grammar and structure then Michel Thomas is a great way to start. Assimil is good afterwards as it revises the stuff from MT and "fills in the gaps" with a lot more vocabulary and expressions.

JamesS
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4068 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Indonesian
Studies: Javanese, German, Mandarin

Message 11 of 31
06 January 2014 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
We don't have much in the way of foreign language learning materials in most Australian bookshops (save
the Foreign Language Bookshop in Melbourne) but you can always take advantage of the high dollar and buy
online. I ordered my Assimil books from bookdepository.co.uk and they arrived within a week from the other
side of the world!

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4107 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 12 of 31
06 January 2014 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
Professor Alexander Arguelles has put together a number of really useful language course reviews on youtube. If you don't like Assimil, there are a number of really solid alternatives out there, and these videos might help you figure out a method you think will work well for you. I recommend looking through these ones, many of which are quite popular with a lot of learners here.

Teach Yourself
Colloquial
FSI
DLI
Hugo
Living Language
Cortina
Berlitz
Berlitz Part 2

Edited by YnEoS on 06 January 2014 at 2:20pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6756 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 13 of 31
06 January 2014 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
MasterMelhem wrote:
Every Day:
-1 Recording of Michel Thomas

I would not use Michel Thomas in such small chunks (if I remember correctly, one recording is about or less than 10 minutes long). In my opinion, it's better to go through Michel Thomas (Foundation) very fast (half a CD a day, let's say), without a lot of rewinding and repeating. Then you can revise the material, preferably with the use of revision CDs (only two CDs with the whole material, if I am not mistaken), and move on to the 'Advanced' part.

Light
Canada
Joined 4278 days ago

30 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 14 of 31
07 January 2014 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
I've found that, for me, Michel Thomas is the most engaging way to learn some of the basics of French. You just have to let it dominate you. I'm close to half way finished the advanced course, and although Pimsleur is probably better with having you recall what you've learned, I rarely ever had any problems at this with Michel Thomas up until the advanced course where it gets a little more difficult in my opinion. Pimsleur certainly has the edge when it comes to native-like pronunciation, but if you have the option of Michel Thomas as well as Pimsleur then I'd start with Michel Thomas, only sprinkling a lesson of Pimsleur in here and there until you become used to its teaching method.

I think Michel Thomas is the easiest way to dive in, although I can't speak as someone who was a complete beginner when starting Michel Thomas. Pimsleur isn't a terrible way to jump in either, it's just less engaging. Assimil on the other hand, I find it less person-friendly when starting to learn a language. It doesn't engage you, the listener, it only recites for you. All that said, I've only "introduced" myself to Pimsleur and Assimil, and can't give a thorough review of either of them. One of Michel Thomas's weaknesses is the lack of material overall.

Edited by Light on 07 January 2014 at 3:56pm

MasterMelhem
Australia
Joined 3844 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes

Message 15 of 31
08 January 2014 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
Thanks for all your contributions. I really appreciate it! Do you recommend the French In Action course to go
with Michel Thomas? How should I use them together?

Right now I'm using the Michel Thomas Foundation Courses. I'm thinking of adding the Pimsleur and French
In Action courses alongside Michel Thomas. Do you think this is a good combination?

Thanks for your help!

Jarel
Diglot
Groupie
Turkey
Joined 4179 days ago

57 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 16 of 31
08 January 2014 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
What about Paul Noble course for french? It is very similar to Michel Thomas but Paul Noble doesn't have two students with him instead he has a co teacher (appereantly her name is Marion) who is a native speaker of french so we learn correct pronunciations of the words from begining. I liked it so far.

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version