31 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6541 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 25 of 31
19 January 2014 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:
Guys, I started classes of French and I'm been classified A2 (I already studied French years ago). Now, with Assimil I
should be A2 at the end of the course, so my question is: is it worthy to do it anyway from the beginning, or it's
better if I start with the advanced course or it's better than I use something else in conjunction to the course book
and the FSI? Or it's better if I keep only the course book and FSI? Thank you very much!

EDIT: sorry for the owner of the post, I put my question here because the title says "best way to learn french". If is
required to open a new thread I will do it.
As an Italian, you can jump straight in and start using native materials, along with semi-native ones like GLOSS. See also the various techniques listed here, especially shadowing and scriptorium. You can write and get corrections at sites like lang-8.com. Don't avoid the grammar, but let it find you on its own. Like, don't try to learn it abstractly. Look up specific things and aim to apply them immediately, assuming they make sense. If you are currently taking a class, just use it as the base of your studies and consume (semi)native materials outside of it.

Oh and another great site to try is lyricstraining, of course.

As far as I understand, the advanced Assimil course is more about idioms and business French and all that jazz. Officially they say you should reach B2 by using the with ease/without toil courses, so if you're not there, it's way too early. But I think B1 is a more realistic of where Assimil takes one. However, note that it's intended for English native speakers, so you'll get less out of it than what they do. If you were in Italy, I'd recommend using Italian-based materials (if you use them at all, that is), but in the Netherlands monolingual textbooks should be a better option.
3 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3991 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 26 of 31
19 January 2014 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Hi, thank you for all the advices!
So, better using native resources than Assimil at my stage. Good :) Listening-Reading method plus Scriptorium seem
to fit well for me, shadowing is a problem because I live in an apartment in the center of a city.
What do you think about FSI? Maybe I can do only the French Phonology course to improve my pronunciation (that is
not so bad after all, listening to what natives tell to me on this matter) and find a language partner to do
conversation?
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6541 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 27 of 31
19 January 2014 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
Well, I wrote about this here. I also live in a flat and I only do shadowing at home.

I personally hate FSI. I find the pronunciation very dry and unpleasant (in pretty much all old recordings, Assimil too). But of course feel free to give it a try.

What exactly do you feel you need to work on before finding a conversation partner? It's a good idea to work on your listening, as it won't help you much if you can say many things but don't understand the replies. Also, the combination of writing+thinking+shadowing is a good preparation for speaking.

I think lang-8 is a better choice for you than exercises, as you'll be more aware of the grammar you need urgently if you write your own texts. Maybe alternate between writing with and without a grammar book? In the former case, aim to use as many "grammar things" as possible, including those you don't fully understand. Obviously when you write without consulting a grammar book, stick to what you know and work around the gaps and learn to think in the language. When you want to express something complicated, chances are it will come to your mind in Italian, English or Dutch... learn to deal with that, don't try to translate from the languages you know better but simplify your wording to get your point across.

Edited by Serpent on 19 January 2014 at 8:22pm

MasterMelhem
Australia
Joined 3935 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes

Message 28 of 31
20 January 2014 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
With any language, is it bad to start off with verbs first? French Verbs may be hard and
difficult, but is starting a language with them a no-go zone?

anamsc2
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4503 days ago

85 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan, German
Studies: French

Message 29 of 31
20 January 2014 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
I don't think it's bad to start with verbs per se, but at least for me the ideal approach would be more holistic -- don't try to learn the grammar piece by piece, just try to learn it all as it comes up (which is sort of what Serpent mentioned above).

It might be helpful to you to read Wikipedia pages on French grammar, phonology, etc. (in your native language). That is what I do when first starting a language, and I think it really helps me identify structures when they come up -- I never drilled a particular verb tense, but I remember reading about it and so it looks familiar to me. Then as it is used more, I get a better sense of the pragmatics of it. Similarly for pronunciation -- knowing about the variations, allophones, etc. helps me listen and notice how native speakers say things. (And at least I find this slightly less boring than drills, the FSI French pronunciation course, etc.)

ETA: I didn't realize that it was two different people asking about pronunciation and verbs. Hopefully this is helpful and not too off-topic anyways!

Edited by anamsc2 on 20 January 2014 at 4:10am

2 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4234 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 30 of 31
20 January 2014 at 4:21am | IP Logged 
Books like these helped quite much:

Grammar/dp/007178781X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390187855&sr=8 -
1&keywords=complete+french+grammar">Complete French Grammar

Guides/dp/0486204197/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1390187914&sr=8-
3&keywords=essential+french+grammar">Essential French Grammar

Series/dp/0071498044/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1390187971&sr=8 -
17&keywords=essential+french+grammar">French Verbs & Essentials of Grammar

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7149 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 31 of 31
20 January 2014 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
Books like these helped quite much:

Complete French Grammar

Essential French Grammar

French Verbs and Essentials of Grammar

Edited by luke on 20 January 2014 at 10:30am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version