Belgium
Joined 5225 days ago

46 posts - 111 votes 
Speaks: English, Flemish*, French, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 9
05 January 2014 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

As part of my New Year's resolutions for 2014, I've decided to really buckle down and get my Russian up to a level where I can start reading native materials without too much difficulty. For those of you who have been there, how would you recommend one go about reaching that level as efficiently as possible?

Right now, I'm steadily working my way through Assimil (the 2011 edition, unfortunately - would it be a wise investment to take my friend's copy of the 1992 A. Cherel edition off his hands?), and I'd like to start L/R-ing the first Harry Potter book. Unfortunately, I only have time to do L/R on weekends, and I've heard this is a method to which one should try and devote many consecutive hours each day.

Is this a realistic study plan if I want to obtain a good reading level? Is there anything you would recommend I do differently or as a supplement to what I'm already doing?

Thanks for your time!

Edited by blauw on 05 January 2014 at 8:39pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4560 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 9
05 January 2014 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
Learning to read Russian well takes a while. In my experience you just have to devote
hours and hours to it, just like you're doing right now. I can get the gist of novels at
my current level (even though I have to skip some descriptions) because Russian
vocabulary, when it's unknown, is not as guessable as for a Germanic or Romance language.
Be prepared to slog and slog hard.

However getting comfortable with the spoken lingo takes somewhat less time in my
experience.
4 persons have voted this message useful

blauw
Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 5225 days ago

46 posts - 111 votes 

Message 3 of 9
05 January 2014 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Tarvos! Can I ask how you got to the level you're at right now?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4560 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 9
05 January 2014 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
Lots of hard work and graft. I did a lot of online chatting and conversing and I spent a
month in Russia.
2 persons have voted this message useful

blauw
Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 5225 days ago

46 posts - 111 votes 

Message 5 of 9
05 January 2014 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
What I really meant to ask is how - what specific method have people used to learn how to read Russian. I'm perfectly willing to invest vast amounts of time and effort, I'm just having a hard time figuring out the type of effort needed.

For example, I tried L/R for the first time today, and I don't feel like I learned anything. There's just so many unknown words, and they go by so fast I can't imagine I'll every learn them this way. Is that normal? Or am I trying this too soon, do I need to learn more vocabulary first?

My overall goal is to acquire grammar and especially vocabulary in as natural and painless way as I can. I don't mind if it takes a long time, I just want to make sure my time is not wasted.

Edited by blauw on 05 January 2014 at 10:51pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6762 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 9
05 January 2014 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
The idea is that you can indeed do LR as a beginner (but you'll have to do several rounds with same text/audio to get the most out of it). But I know how you feel, I've done LR with "The Little Prince" (in Chinese) half a dozen times without feeling that I gained that much. Maybe with another book, and another language...

One of the threads from the era when both our administrator and professor Arguelles were active:
Russian - advancing to reading literature (20 March 2005)
4 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4560 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 7 of 9
05 January 2014 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
blauw wrote:
What I really meant to ask is how - what specific method have
people used to learn how to read Russian. I'm perfectly willing to invest vast amounts
of time and effort, I'm just having a hard time figuring out the type of effort needed.

For example, I tried L/R for the first time today, and I don't feel like I learned
anything. There's just so many unknown words, and they go by so fast I can't imagine
I'll every learn them this way. Is that normal? Or am I trying this too soon, do I need
to learn more vocabulary first?

My overall goal is to acquire grammar and especially vocabulary in as natural and
painless way as I can. I don't mind if it takes a long time, I just want to make sure
my time is not wasted.

I didn't use a lot of rigorous methodology. I used a few graded readers, some
textbooks, Anki to learn vocabulary in the beginning. But even when I didn't have the
vocabulary to read texts, I had the vocabulary to talk. So I have conversed a lot and
picked up new vocabulary that way.

I have never done LR in a systematic way and I have no guarantees for optimization. I
can't help you with that. I simply worked hard, learned new words and read books as it
came.

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5581 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 8 of 9
06 January 2014 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
If you haven't finished Assimil yet, I would recommend concentrating on that first. Assimil doesn't take you to a high level, it's a good foundation really, so it would be good to internalize the course well, before moving to native materials. Of course, you should still listen to some real Russian, try reading the Internet in Russian, etc, but as a side thing. After you're done with Assimil, you can find some more advanced book (maybe Living Language, I had it for French and it's really solid) and concentrate on native materials.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version