still painfully slow while talking and still
missing the h sound with words that start for h or
adding a h in words that don't begin with that
letter. Also I would like to learn the British
accent but it seems to me the most difficult thing
to do in the world... What can I do? All the people
I know reached a level of no more improvements and
they are cool with this, but for me C1 passive and
b1/b2 active is absolutely not enough...

Thank you
1 person has voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6756 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 2 of 29
09 January 2014 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
Look for special pronunciation textbooks (with CDs). I think there is a decent book from the "In Use" series, and one with a title "Sheep or ship" or something similar. And there are dozens of other methods... As I focused on American English, I can't give you more specific advice.

I can't say I am happy with my accent in English but I do think I have made significant improvement, and this would certainly not be possible with audio input only, as my pronunciation was - and to some extent still is - full of fossilized mistakes, wrong phonemes, wrong intonation patterns etc. Using a book that points out difficulties and helps you to deal with your problems - one at a time - can be of immense help (combined with other language activities, obviously).

English is a foreign language with a vast repository of learning resources for advanced speakers. If you don't feel like language input alone is enough for you to improve, go try some of the learning materials available on the market.

I have seen there is an advanced English team in this year's TAC - have a look at it, it might be a source of help and inspiration you are looking for :).

Edited by Julie on 09 January 2014 at 12:14am

4 persons have voted this message useful

nicozerpa
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 4179 days ago

182 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 3 of 29
09 January 2014 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
A few days ago, I bought a two-book series called "Get Rid of Your Accent", which contains
audio CD's, focuses on British English (more specifically Received Pronunciation) and
promises to neutralise your accent in three months.

It teaches you how to put the jaw, the tongue and the mouth in the right positions for each
sound, and includes some excercises to help you to use those sounds naturally in everyday
speech.

Having said that, I've started using the first volume of this book this week, so I can't say
anything about it effectiveness yet.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4862 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 4 of 29
09 January 2014 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
If you want a British accent, choose the right models. Get rid of the american tv series and choose british ones. Imitate speakers of your choice, repeat after them. The pronunciation guides with CDs can help too. If the matter is not only the pronunciation and accent, work on the issues slowing you down. Why are you slow? Does it take you long to remember vocabulary? Are there grammar issues you stumble at? Are you translating in your head? These are all options worth considering and, eventually, issues worth solving.

Of course, your friends and coworkers are not there to teach you English and they are glad to communicate with you without much trouble. If they are not natives, than you are influencing each other and creating a kind of "shared common level" in the group. I have noticed repeatedly my spoken English is much better after a while of speaking with someone better than vice versa. It is sooooo easy to fall down to the lower level if that is what prevails in the group. If that is the case, it might be good to widen your circle of friends and find people with better English than yours.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4143 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 5 of 29
09 January 2014 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
For British English, consider Lancastrian:

Best of Bumble

It is an easier regional accent that I feel that it is looser in terms of jaw motions in
pronunciation compared to RP or other regional accents like Geordie, Scouse, Sheffield,
Brum, etc. But perhaps I may be biased because I sound similar to this accent.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3900 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 6 of 29
09 January 2014 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
Thank you all for the input!

Cavesa wrote:

If you want a British accent, choose the right models. Get rid of the american tv series and choose british ones.
Imitate speakers of your choice, repeat after them. The pronunciation guides with CDs can help too. If the matter is
not only the pronunciation and accent, work on the issues slowing you down. Why are you slow? Does it take you
long to remember vocabulary? Are there grammar issues you stumble at? Are you translating in your head? These
are all options worth considering and, eventually, issues worth solving.

About slowness: I think I have a decently large passive vocabulary. That means: often when someone doesn't
remember some specific word, I am the guys the propose the right solution. But using the vocabulary while speaking
is a different story :) At this point I am not translating in my head anymore, I even force myself to think in English
but Italian wins every time I'm not putting effort on it. I have to admit that I use the grammar unconsciously due to
how I learned the language (ton of input, no grammar study). So it's possible that being not too confident about the
grammar makes me slower. Irregular verbs are a huge pain because I'm never sure if I am using the correct
conjugation apart from a small set of them. But I think that most of the problem is due to how pronounce words. I
have problems while reading aloud too. We all know which kind of huge mess is the English phonetic system. So how
can I be confident with every word seems to have random pronunciation? When 'custom', 'curry', 'curios' have three
completely different pronunciations for example. Also, Italian has 7 vowels (and we also mess up with open and
closed 'e' and open and close 'o' depending of our regional provenience), English how many? 20?.
But of course I'm not here to look for excuses, I want to improve.

Quote:

Of course, your friends and coworkers are not there to teach you English and they are glad to communicate with you
without much trouble. If they are not natives, than you are influencing each other and creating a kind of "shared
common level" in the group. I have noticed repeatedly my spoken English is much better after a while of speaking
with someone better than vice versa. It is sooooo easy to fall down to the lower level if that is what prevails in the
group. If that is the case, it might be good to widen your circle of friends and find people with better English than
yours.

That's another huge problem. I live in a city where half of the inhabitants come from abroad, I work in European
center with people that is not English, but mostly Italian, and French (but also Spanish, Romanian, even a really nice
person from Laos) and since now no English people. Between colleagues, friends, acquaintances and random people
I hear everyday some of the most messed up and painful accents possible :) Most of them have an English and or
English pronunciation that is like mine if not worse. But some of them are able to speak incredibly fast even with a
not standard accent like French or Chinese or Italian and I really like to be able to speed up my speech because it's
difficult to keep people's attention and therefore most of the times I have to make shorter sentences. It's so
frustrating!

So
- I cannot rely on the other people's English as models
- I cannot eliminate bad input
- I can introduce good input but it's constantly in conflict with the bad one...
3 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4143 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 7 of 29
09 January 2014 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
Irregular verbs are annoying, but at least English only has a few conjugations compared
to the Romance languages, which have six conjugations for each tense. Also the
irregular verbs with strong and weak classes are quite similar in the Germanic family--
studying Dutch helps as well:

I begin, I begun, I have begun
Ik begin, Ik begon, Ik heb begonnen

We begin, We begun, We have begun
Wij beginnen, Wij begonnen, Wij hebben begonnen

compared to:

comincio, comincii, comincia, cominciamo, cominciate, cominciano
cominciai, cominciasti, cominciò, cominciamo, cominciaste, cominciarano
ho cominciato, hai cominciato, ha cominciato, abbiamo cominciato, avete cominciato,
hanno cominciato

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3900 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 8 of 29
09 January 2014 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
hehe but 'cominciare' is regular ;) and you have something like other 6 or 7 tenses more XD
try with the verb 'cuocere' (to cook)
cuocio, cuoci, cuoce, cuociamo, cuocete, cuociono
ho cotto, hai cotto, ha cotto, abbiamo cotto, avete cotto, hanno cotto
cossi, cuocesti, cosse, cuocemmo, cuoceste, cossero
ebbi cotto, avesti cotto, ebbe cotto, avemmo cotto, aveste cotto, ebbero cotto
cuocevo, cuocevi, cuoceva, cuocevamo, cuocevate, cuocevano
avevo cotto, avevi cotto, aveva cotto, avevamo cotto, avevate cotto, avevano cotto

:)

But every language has its difficulties.
My question is how to overcome them in my case...

Edited by tristano on 09 January 2014 at 7:35am

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version