Tags: Speaking
 Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
29 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4143 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 9 of 29
09 January 2014 at 7:50am | IP Logged 
Irregular verbs in Dutch seem to have singular and plural irregular verbs for the
tegenwoordige tijd, verleden tijd, and the verleden deelwoord, and
this is essentially the same in English. If you can channel this from Dutch into
English, it helps, and English is easier because often the irregular verbs have forms
that are the same for both plural and present:

ik/jij/hij/zij/het was, wij/jullie/zij waren, ik/jij/hij/zij/het is geweest,
wij/jullie/zij zijn geweest

I/you/he/she/it was, we/you(pl.)/they were, I/you/he/she/it has been, we/you(pl.)/they
have been

But then there is "to begin" which has I begun, we begun, which is the
same for both singular and plural, which is more simplified than Dutch and other
Germanic languages.

So in the preterite, memorising the two forms is basically the only difficult part,
followed by the past participle. I think only memorising and practising them is
possible. I remember in primary school, many of my classmates messed up the irregular
verbs, i.e., "I gived him the book yesterday", "We eated at the restaurant", "I swimmed
in the pool", and these were native speakers. It probably takes some practise, to have
in one's mind that a verb should have this "odd" conjugation that breaks the rules and
is essentially a random conjugation pattern, just like how in cuocere, the <u>
is dropped in cossi, cosse, and cossero.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 09 January 2014 at 7:52am

1 person has voted this message useful

josepablo
Tetraglot
Portugal
Joined 3843 days ago

123 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: German, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Turkish

Message 10 of 29
09 January 2014 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:

But then there is "to begin" which has I begun, we begun, which is the
same for both singular and plural, which is more simplified than Dutch and other
Germanic languages.

It is not "I begun", but "I began"
Everyone makes mistakes from time to time. That's okay. But using a wrong form to examplify a simple grammatical fact?
As for the rest of your confused non-native sounding English composition, what do you mean by:

Quote:
So in the preterite, memorising the two forms is basically the only difficult part, followed by the past participle.

What two forms? Why possible?
And what on earthy does this mean:

Quote:
It probably takes some practise, to have in one's mind that a verb should have this "odd" conjugation that breaks the rules and is essentially a random conjugation pattern.

The mind boggles. "To be" is the only English verb that is totally irregular, so are you by any chance referring to that? According to what precedes you're not, you're referring to "regular" past tense forms like "swimmed, eated and gived" used by toddlers who've worked out the rules of tense formation but haven't yet had enough exposure to irregular forms. By primary school most native English children hardly ever make that kind of mistake. What kind of primary school did you go to? I'd understand some using "I swimmed", but "I eated" or "I gived"?

Edited by josepablo on 09 January 2014 at 12:54pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4862 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 11 of 29
09 January 2014 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
The irregular verbs take some time and they are worth memorising. Given enough time and practice, it should go well.

However, it is one of the strange situations of today's world. YOu have a place full of romance languages natives and they are to use English among themselves. Isn't that absurd? Yeah, it's just the way it is but it is totally stupid. By the logic, French should be the main language in such a situation and the few English natives should be expected to conform to the norm. After all, aren't there three main languages of the EU?

For models, I didn't mean your friends. I meant immitating natives with great pronunciation and accent you can see in the media. Such immitation practice can help change your habits.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4560 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 12 of 29
09 January 2014 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
Irregular verbs in Dutch seem to have singular and plural irregular verbs
for the
tegenwoordige tijd, verleden tijd, and the verleden deelwoord, and
this is essentially the same in English. If you can channel this from Dutch into
English, it helps, and English is easier because often the irregular verbs have forms
that are the same for both plural and present:

Voltooid deelwoord (not verleden deelwoord) for past participle, and to say "Ik ben
begonnen" is way more common :)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6556 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 29
09 January 2014 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Actually people in the future may be saying "eated" and "gived" - the tendency is that strong verbs are made into weak verbs, and while the change goes on the future correct form will be counted as an error.

The strong verbs are simply constructed in another way than weak ones, namely with a vowel change instead of an ending. The trouble is that there are more variants of vowel changes than there are of past tense endings in modern English, and that the phonetical factors that resulted in the choice of a certain change pattern aren't visible any longer. So therefore we have to learn two forms of strong verbs - and we consider them as irregular, even though there is a strict logic behind the different patterns. The only truly irregular verbs are those that use totally different stems (like go, went), and only "to be" (and to some extent "to have") is so irregular that even their present tense is built on several diffeent stems.

Edited by Iversen on 09 January 2014 at 3:00pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5581 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 14 of 29
09 January 2014 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
Achieving good pronunciation shouldn't be too hard, it's just going to take time. You're conscious of your shortcomings and ambitious so I'm sure you'll do fine. English Pronunciation in Use from Cambridge should be good. I had their books for vocabulary and they were excellent. And of course input. You're studying other languages, so time management might be an issue, but if you're serious about your goal, there's no other way. Most of the shows (be it on TV or radio) I watch and listen to are British and I can tell you, there's a lot of great stuff out there. For good pronunciation models I recommend BBC Radio 4.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4681 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 15 of 29
09 January 2014 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:
Hi all!
I have a question about an issue that is really
bothering me. It's about my spoken English. Since
the last five years I watch videos only in English
and read books only in English. The first time I
had a real conversation it was to my job interview
to come in the Netherlands! But now I use English
every day at work and also with friends but since
the last 4 months I'm not improving anymore... I am
still painfully slow while talking and still
missing the h sound with words that start for h or
adding a h in words that don't begin with that
letter. Also I would like to learn the British
accent but it seems to me the most difficult thing
to do in the world... What can I do? All the people
I know reached a level of no more improvements and
they are cool with this, but for me C1 passive and
b1/b2 active is absolutely not enough...

Thank you

Hi,

If it's British English you want, then you need to concentrate on RP, and leave
regional accents until you maybe come to live here and maybe live in an area with a
regional accent, and pick it up naturally. Trying to learn a regional accent from a
distance is very unwise, IMO, since it will sound artificial, there is a danger people
will think you are taking the micky, but more seriously, you can't guarantee to get
authentic sources of the accent, and you may never be sure what accent people in your
sources are speaking.

Having got that out of the way, the best free source of RP is BBC Radio, and
specifically Radio 4 and Radio 4 extra, since they are speech-oriented, and RP tends to
predominate, although not exclusively.

You will not be able to listen live outside of the UK (unless you use a proxy or VPN),
but you should be able to listen on demand to any already broadcast programme via their
iPlayer service, for up to 7 days afterwards (sometimes more). There are also some
podcasts, but not every programme (by a long way) comes out as podcasts
(unfortunately)).

Radio 4 Extra

Radio 4

I tend to go to the schedule and look through for programmes of interest and click on
the play link, but if you know what you are looking for, you can use the iPlayer
search, or follow any of the links on the main page.

However, that's mainly going to help passive skills, although it will give you an idea
of what to imitate. You also are going to need to practice speaking with native British
speakers if you can make opportunities - how about a language swap?

3 persons have voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5581 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 16 of 29
09 January 2014 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:

Hi,

If it's British English you want, then you need to concentrate on RP, and leave
regional accents until you maybe come to live here and maybe live in an area with a
regional accent, and pick it up naturally. Trying to learn a regional accent from a
distance is very unwise, IMO, since it will sound artificial, there is a danger people
will think you are taking the micky, but more seriously, you can't guarantee to get
authentic sources of the accent, and you may never be sure what accent people in your
sources are speaking.

I agree totally. How bizarre would that be to meet an Italian guy living in the Netherlands speaking with a wannabe Geordie accent. ;)

Also, you CAN listen to any BBC radio station online live. I've been doing it for years without any problems.

Edited by pesahson on 09 January 2014 at 4:59pm

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version