Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5509 days ago

938 posts - 1840 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 17 of 29
09 January 2014 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
I also concur that modern RP is the accent to go for. The reality is that few foreign
speakers will ever develop a native accent and to overlay a regional accent (where you
have no contact with the region) over one's native accent is a recipe for non-
comprehension at best and be insulting at worst.

2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5206 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 18 of 29
09 January 2014 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
If I may add my two cents, one of the issues that many Europeans have with English on the continent is too much exposure to non-native speakers' English. Their level of English may be high, still, it isn't native speech. Few people, outside of the BBC, the royal family, Shakesperian actors or university elites speak RP. I agree wholeheartedly with the previous advice of Cavesa:

Cavesa wrote:
... If they are not natives, than you are influencing each other and creating a kind of "shared common level" in the group. I have noticed repeatedly my spoken English is much better after a while of speaking with someone better than vice versa. It is sooooo easy to fall down to the lower level if that is what prevails in the group. If that is the case, it might be good to widen your circle of friends and find people with better English than yours.

We have a saying in English "the blind leading the blind" that covers what Cavesa is talking about. If you want to improve your use of, and speed in, English, try to spend more time with native-speakers (though this won't help you develop RP- since very few people actually speak it in everyday life. Start listening to the BBC Radio 4 or World Service. Better yet, get hold of a dvd set of "Downton Abbey", pick just one upper-class speaker to imitate and concentrate on imitating him or her to the point of almost doing an impression of the character. You'll have subtitles/closed captions to help you and if you search "subs2srs" in emk's posts you can practice until you sound as upper-class Brit as you can. Though I am doubtful you'll ever be satisfied. It just isn't very easy to have a great accent in a second language as an adult.

Fortunately for second language learners of English, native-urban-English-speakers are generally very tolerant of pronunciation mistakes and foreign accents as long as they don't impede actual communication, mainly because the English-speaking world has so many immigrants who are native-speakers of languages other than English.   

Edited by iguanamon on 09 January 2014 at 9:10pm

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5672 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 19 of 29
09 January 2014 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
I doubt Tristano's goal is to be able to fool people that he is a British upper class guy. It's about having good, clear, pleasant pronunciation. I have to disagree with the Downton Abbey advice. The language, vocabulary might be too formal and sometimes archaic. I wrote it in my previous post and others wrote it as well, journalists from the BBC would be best to try to imitate.
4 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4234 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 20 of 29
10 January 2014 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Yes, it should be "I began" and "We began", and I meant irregular verbs as being the
class of strong verbs in the Germanic family. For a Romance speaker, it probably looks
odd, but the strong verbs are unpredictable and need to be memorised and internalised.
Even occasionally native adult speakers make mistakes here. And yes, in primary school,
some of my classmates said, "I gived him the book", "But we runned yesterday", etc.,
but
usually until around age 8 or 9. I had some classmates who were immigrants so not
native
speakers, and one classmate said things like, "Why come?" instead of, "How come?" and
"I
eated my sandwich already", "I throwed the bag in the rubbish bin", even at age 11-12.
So
I would suppose that the class of strong verbs needs more focus for non-native
speakers,
especially Romance speakers

I made a mistake with "begun" because I thought about "I have/had begun" and "We
have/had begun", but I should not have committed that error. It did not help however,
Ithat I stayed up until ten in the morning last night (or today, technically).

Also interesting how I sound like a non-native Anglophone--I wish I were, so I did not
have to have people switch to English when I speak in Northern and parts of Western
Europe--can I upgrade one of my learning languages to "native" in exchange?

Edited by 1e4e6 on 10 January 2014 at 12:31am

1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3991 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 21 of 29
11 January 2014 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Guys, I start by thanking all of you for your answers. I'm too much tired to answer all in this moment, but tomorrow I
will do it!

josepablo
Tetraglot
Portugal
Joined 3934 days ago

123 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: German, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Turkish

Message 22 of 29
11 January 2014 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
Yes, it should be "I began" and "We began", and I meant irregular verbs as being the class of strong verbs in the Germanic family. For a Romance speaker, it probably looks odd, but the strong verbs are unpredictable and need to be memorised and internalised.

What do you mean by 'unpredictable'? They come in groups, and once you've learnt a few, some of the other irregular forms are predictable, at least somewhat so. But even if they are totally unexpected, they are still quite easy to learn.
Why do I say that they are easy? Because you can learn them like lexical items, one simple past form (except for "to be" of course), and one past participle form. No endings, no accord du participe passé, no sweat.
   I sometimes come late. I came early yesterday. I've come to give you a piece of my mind.    
   I write emails. I wrote three yesterday. I haven't yet written any today.
   He goes to the pictures once a week. He went last night. Where has the dog gone? and my sandwich?
etc.
What's difficult about that?

And, besides that pesky "to be", there are NO irregular verbs in any other tense or mode (present tense/imperative/future/conditional), only simple past and past participle. 2 irregular forms instead of the nightmare of French verb tables.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4234 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 23 of 29
11 January 2014 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
If a B2 English speaker is having problems with those verbs, then perhaps it is not so
easy. It is easy for a native Anglophone, and sometimes even on rare occasion, like I
did, native speakers might make mistakes with those strong verbs. The same occurs in
the
other Germanic languages like Dutch, German, or Swedish. Even at a young age, those who
learn in an Anglophone envrionment have not fully internalised them if they are
immigrants, that is why my classmate said, "I gived the book to him" at age 11. Were it
truly easy, the "-ed" at the end like for weak verbs would be the only ending, and the
preterite would be, "gived", "eated", "throwed", "drinked", "beginned", etc.

It seems easy for Anglophones, but those Anglophones have problems with the past
participles "compris", "bu", "eu", etc. But those are considered very easy for a
Francophone. I have also encoutnered Anglophones who find that "write/wrote/written" is
easy, but cannot remember the preterite of "decir" in Spanish: dije, dijiste, dijo,
dijimos, dijisteis, dijeron, or "dizer" in Portuguese: disse, disseste, disse,
dissemos, dissestes, disseram. I have met people in university who can write long
reports but still make an occasional mistake with "I drived home yesterday". It is all
relative.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 11 January 2014 at 1:35am

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3991 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 24 of 29
11 January 2014 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Here I am! So, thank you very much @pesahson and @montmorency and @iguanamon for all the input you gave me!
About a language swap, of course I can swap Italian with British English via Skype :)
Of course I don't want to pretend to be a upper class British man, but I want to have a beautiful British-like accent
that is nice to hear and also spontaneous in order to communicate really nicely at a business level.
I will take your advices as gold!

Thank you anyone for all the material provided in this discussion!

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version