Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1
seemewoo
United Kingdom
Joined 4512 days ago

21 posts - 22 votes

Message 9 of 13
11 January 2014 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
So the products of shadowing is broadly the same as what you would get from having conversations with
native speakers?
1 person has voted this message useful

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3932 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 10 of 13
11 January 2014 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
seemewoo wrote:
So the products of shadowing is broadly the same as what you would get from having conversations with
native speakers?

I wouldn't say that. During shadowing you can rewind your tape and listen to it several times and say it several times. In a normal conversation even the most patient native would run away if you forced him or her to repeat the same thing 10 times.

Edited by Hungringo on 11 January 2014 at 8:18pm

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5476 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 13
11 January 2014 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I mean it clearly works best like that for Prof Arguelles, and I have a HUGE respect for him, but we're all different.

I just can't shadow, not even in English—there's a trick to getting my mouth in sync with my ears, and I just can't do it. I see why it would be a good thing, but my brain's just not wired for that particular activity.

What I can do is listen to a piece of music until I memorize it, and then sing along. It's a similar effect, except that I already know the text by heart. I find this really helps with two things:

1. Getting the sounds right. For example, I once had an unfortunate tendency to tap my French Rs. But I spent I don't know how much time singing along with Un coup d'œil dans le métro, which has such lovely, sustained Rs in the refrain. After several months, these Rs crept into my day-to-day speech. Similarly, if I mispronounce a rounded front vowel while singing along, it just sounds off.

2. Quick articulation. When I'm tired, and I need to rapidly activate my spoken French, there's nothing quite like singing along with very fast, complicated French music. This convinces my brain that it needs to get into French mode.

I imagine that for those people who can shadow, it probably produces some of the same benefits. One of the advantages of being an experienced language learner is that you know a couple good tricks that work well for your brain (and you know what it feels like to succeed, so you can troubleshoot when something isn't working).
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6541 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 13
11 January 2014 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, it's more like an alternative path to the same thing. You can speak from day 1 and improve by having more conversations, or (especially if the opportunities are limited) you can prepare yourself by shadowing, self-talk, reading aloud etc.

Shadowing is also beneficial if you regularly practise with only 1-2 speakers of the language. Again you need to either look for more people to speak with, or do something else to improve between your sessions. (assuming speaking is a priority for you)

Also, shadowing is direct imitation, while conversations often make you imitate your interlocutor subconsciously, but the effectiveness varies between people. Another variable is whether you can arrange getting corrections, and whether they match your needs.

Edited by Serpent on 11 January 2014 at 8:42pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4632 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 13 of 13
12 January 2014 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
I am, as emk puts it, "one of those people who can shadow." I'm really unsure of the benefits, but maybe I haven't
done it enough to really tell. But the feeling I get is that I end up wiring something like a brain short circuit, where I
take the audio input and convert it into speech output without passing it through the proper language centers of
the brain. As in, I can shadow without really thinking about or understanding what I'm shadowing, especially for
something that I'm repeating, like an Assimil lesson. It certainly is the case that the better I understand the
language, the easier it is to shadow, but I haven't really been able to tell to what extent, if any, I understand the
language better (or am able to produce it better) BECAUSE of shadowing.

Accent is another matter, maybe, but that's generally the last thing I'm worried about, even if it is on the list of
things I worry about.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version