Diglot
Germany
Joined 5413 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 17 of 38
14 January 2014 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
What is strange/curious/intersting about "der Frau" is the tendency of languages to prefer to recycle known aspects for different purposes, rather than coming up with new, unique markers.

I suspect that most of us designing a language, given that we were obliged to have four cases and three genders plus plural, would tend to assume that we would need sixteen different endings in order to be clear and precise, but in real languages it is apparently easier for the brain to make do with only four (-e, -r, -s -n), and derive the rest of the information from context.

It's similar question as to why homonyms exist, or languages with limited phoneme inventories. It seems to be easier to work with a limited number of characteristics, and do a little bit of processing to work out what something means in a given situation, rather than memorise additional characteristics

Edited by schoenewaelder on 14 January 2014 at 1:48pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4862 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 18 of 38
14 January 2014 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
I think it should be clear we need to keep apart memorisation (or any other way of acquisition) of the genders from the declination. That "der frau", that is not an example of separate memorisation for every word and every form. That is just an example of a classical, regular declination of a noun.

Yes, sometimes it is easier to remember a gender (especially those that keep fleeing my memory even after repeated exposion though every possible way) in a combination of words, in another form, with meine instead of die and so on.

On the other hand, once you have internalized that the word is of the particular gender (preferably automatically enough not to ever need to think about it), you just follow the usual declination models.

Edited by Cavesa on 14 January 2014 at 3:51pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5619 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 19 of 38
14 January 2014 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa, I think that is the problem for native speakers of languages without declension that has gender and case. If you come from a language that has both and just doesn't re-use a few forms as much as German does, you'll probably think "okay, they're being uninmaginative there" and accept that a certain article, pronoun or case ending can be used for several forms. But when you come from a language like English I assume it's very confusing, and I know many learners do something similar to Gemuse.

That's why I tried to explain that gender and declension only make sense when looked at in context so it might help to learn how to do so, and not just hope that sooner or later it'll click when you've just memorized enough paradigms or looked at enough examples.
(It may or may not, but I think it is likely to be quicker to learn from analysing word order and referents when you can't yet parse a sentence automatically. And to do cued recall memorization of examples.)

Edited by Bao on 14 January 2014 at 5:00pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4862 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 20 of 38
14 January 2014 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
That's true. English natives may find the whole concept of declination confusing (just as I used to find a lot of their grammar totally stupid, restrictive and boring :-D ). However, a good coursebook or grammar should be perfectly able to put some light on the matter and explain it is more matter of logic and following the appropriate models than pure memorisation.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4386 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 21 of 38
14 January 2014 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
However, a good coursebook or grammar should be perfectly able to put some light on the matter and explain it is more matter of logic and following the appropriate models than pure memorisation.

But how often do native speakers use logic and follow appropriate models? My impression is that they produce language (with all the correct declinations etc) from tons of exposure.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4862 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 22 of 38
14 January 2014 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
1. For exemple, Czech children learn the models at primary schools. While they declinate words (at least the common words) usually correctly from pure exposure by then, they are taught the models to correctly handle less common words, to understand the standard declinations should they be used to dialect and to correctly write the words. Of course, most of us get used to automatically correct declinations through a lot of reading so that we don't need the tables anymore but there are Czechs who would do well to remember the old tables at times before sending an email or something and embarassing themselves.

2. Of course, you can totally skip grammar learning and just expose yourself to the language and it works great for some people. But getting the logic behind it without having to reinvent the wheel is very likely to speed up the process significantly, including earlier correct appliction of grammar in active speaking or writing.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3935 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 23 of 38
14 January 2014 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
Bakunin wrote:

Below are a few example sentences with "der Frau". You need to get to a point where you
perceive those sentences and constructs as normal, and the use of other articles etc.
as wrong. To use it correctly in a live conversation, I don't really see an alternative
to having read, heard, and used those constructions many hundreds of times. Performing
a color-based grammatical analyis or calculation just won't do it.

I apologize if I annoyed you, Thanks for the many examples.

You are correct, that to fluently use it correctly in a live conversation, massive
exposure is needed. A German native takes years to learn German, with 24/7/365
immersion (like any native language speaker). What we are trying to do for L2 learners
is to accelerate the process using logic, and being fine with taking a hit to speed in
speaking. There is (almost) no way I am going to have as much practic with
speaking
German as even a 10 year old native German in my lifetime. However, L2
speakers can still produce reasonably good output, quickly, provided that they are
willing to take a hit in the output speed. Massive input is one way to learn. Why not
also make use of our reasoning faculties?

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3935 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 24 of 38
14 January 2014 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:
What is strange/curious/intersting about "der Frau" is the
tendency of languages to prefer to recycle known aspects for different purposes, rather
than coming up with new, unique markers.

I suspect that most of us designing a language, given that we were obliged to have four
cases and three genders plus plural, would tend to assume that we would need sixteen
different endings in order to be clear and precise, but in real languages it is
apparently easier for the brain to make do with only four (-e, -r, -s -n), and derive
the rest of the information from context.

It's similar question as to why homonyms exist, or languages with limited phoneme
inventories. It seems to be easier to work with a limited number of characteristics,
and do a little bit of processing to work out what something means in a given
situation, rather than memorise additional characteristics

There are two issues: Having a set of declinations, and mixing them up. We have
die Frau in nominative and accusative (so the same for both), and that is perfectly
fine. Brain does not want to remember 16 declinations. The problem comes with mixing
declinations (die Frau, der Frau). Keep them same, or make it a totally new
declination. Mixing them up is hell on the brain.
AFAIK Sanskrit has more cases that German, but it does not mix them up.

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version