United States
Joined 4007 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: French, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German

Message 9 of 15
21 January 2014 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
Lizzern wrote:
If you're interested in working as an interpreter, those are all interesting choices. Are you considering moving to a country where one of these languages is spoken? If so, which culture appeals to you the most? Where do you think you might be able to feel at home? (And get a job? Not sure about the job market for Romanian interpreters...) Do you want a 'small' language or one that's more widely used?

I would love to move to Europe, particularly since there is much more linguistic diversity there than in the US, and thus (I imagine) greater demand for interpreters.

Lizzern wrote:

If you think a language would bore you, you might want to stay away - the intermediate plateau might make you quit. Don't let a new writing system put you off - some of us think it's lots of fun! And it's not too hard to learn a new phonetic script, you get used to it and it has its own charm.

Maybe try a couple of them alongside each other for a little while and see if one speaks to you more than the others.

Such has been my course of action so far, though in my case "trying out" languages generally amounts to scanning a few web pages and watching one or two Youtube clips. In other words, I usually don't spend enough time getting acquainted with the language in order to make an informed decision. A lot of times I end up worrying about losing my Spanish and ashamedly give up after just a few minutes. In other words, my methods could use a bit of streamlining ;)

Edited by MBrecht92 on 21 January 2014 at 12:49am

1 person has voted this message useful

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4904 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 10 of 15
21 January 2014 at 8:27am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Most of Russia likes Italian music from the 70's :-) That's one of the reasons why Italian is studied more commonly than Spanish here.

haha, yes! Toto Cutugno, Adriano Celentano, and Dalida are still household names here in Russia (though Dalida is more famous for her French songs, I believe). Both my parents and my grandparents love them.

I'm really not a fan of Italian pop music, but I do love this song by Stefania Rotolo: Cocktail d'amore

I also like Mexican music that was influenced by Italian pop from the 70s/80s. =))
2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4386 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 11 of 15
21 January 2014 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
MBrecht92 wrote:

Just one question; assuming that you still live in Berlin, do most of the people you encounter encourage you to make use of your German?

In my experience it's pretty rare to find Germans that want to speak English for any extended period of time.

Many (most?) can speak/read English (though if they grew up in the DDR learnt Russian not English at school). Most people don't consume English to any great degree, and the average speaking level is significantly poorer than say the Dutch or Scandinavians.

Cinemas showing English films in English are relatively rare, and likewise if you want to buy English books the selection is mostly limited to a few shelves of bestsellers at a big bookstore. I used to work for a graduate program at Humboldt University. The program was in English - it was an 'international' program - however, all the German students would naturally switch to German as soon as they could, even though they *really* needed practice their English skills for professional reasons.

Native English speakers are valued jobwise, but only if they can also speak reasonable German as well. One exception is the start-up scene which is in English, but job opportunities there are pretty limited. There is of course a large expat scene and while there are lots of non-English speakers in that group (the language classes I have been to seem full with young Spanish people) English is the overall lingua franca. For most basic professional interactions (banks, doctors, accountants, visas etc) you need German.

MBrecht92 wrote:

Edit: By the way, you have quite an interesting blog, my friend.

Thanks! :)

Edited by patrickwilken on 21 January 2014 at 9:04am

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5762 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 12 of 15
21 January 2014 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
MBrecht92 wrote:
I would love to move to Europe, particularly since there is much more linguistic diversity there than in the US, and thus (I imagine) greater demand for interpreters.
<snip>
Such has been my course of action so far, though in my case "trying out" languages generally amounts to scanning a few web pages and watching one or two Youtube clips. In other words, I usually don't spend enough time getting acquainted with the language in order to make an informed decision. A lot of times I end up worrying about losing my Spanish and ashamedly give up after just a few minutes. In other words, my methods could use a bit of streamlining ;)

You're a native English speaker so you can be useful anywhere if you speak their language as well. I think all the languages you mentioned have a good enough demand for someone else to do the English bit for them... It's possible you might also be able to carve out a niche in the other direction - translating content from your L2 for English speakers who are interested. Not sure who that would be though ;-) I'm done torpedoing my own argument now. But you never know. Anyway I'm sure lots of people have moved to Europe for whatever reason and are now working in some field where they're using their language skills, so maybe look for blogs or whatever? That might give you an idea about the market and what you would actually be doing, and whether you'd hate it or like it. Culture would be a big deal for me if I was deciding about something I might make a career out of.

I know what you mean about trying out languages that way! That's why I have so many barely used language books on my shelves... Portuguese anyone? Hindi? Chinese? ;-) I just end up buying books cause it seems like a good idea at the time, I like the language so why not? A week later... You know.

Anyway it might work better for you if you take some time to focus on each one. Maybe narrow it down a bit, give them two months each, then in a few short months you'll probably have a clearer idea of what you want to do - plus you'll know the basics of several languages as a bonus :-)

Edited by Lizzern on 21 January 2014 at 10:51pm

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5762 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 13 of 15
21 January 2014 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
(Accidentally hit quote instead of edit, sorry. Ignore this.)

Edited by Lizzern on 21 January 2014 at 10:52pm

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4143 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 14 of 15
21 January 2014 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
MBrecht92 wrote:

I would love to move to Europe, particularly since there is much more linguistic
diversity there than in the US, and thus (I imagine) greater demand for interpreters.

When I was in the USA, true, that monolingual Anglophonism was almost uniform in
many places. Certainly not like in Switzerland, Norway, Netherlands, Belgium. Whilst
Spanish was present sometimes, it is not like in
Europe, or even the UK, that I can go to university, a club, a bookstore, etc. and hear
Dutch, Polish, Swedish, French, Norwegian, Italian, or Lithuanian on a regular basis.
Right now I could probably go to Waterstones and hear at least three thereof, usually
from immigration or students.

Consider
university in Europe. I had classmates whose courses were totally unrelated to
languages, but knew four or five languages easily. Not much here in the UK compared to
the Continent, but still more than the USA. To have a real mixture of languages,
Switzerland and Belgium are probably quite good for the great diversity of European
languages due to their stati as polylingual.

If you want a comparison, five years ago as an undergraduate, I was seated randomly
next to a 3rd year student at a Christmas dinner. She told me that she was from Gent,
and knew English, French, Spanish, Dutch, and Italian, and some Swedish from living
there for a while. Her course was chemistry.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 22 January 2014 at 8:55pm

Gunshy
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3970 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French

Message 15 of 15
22 January 2014 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
I had classmates whose courses were totally unrelated to
languages, but knew four or five languages easily.

I think the multilingual abilities of the average mainland European is quite exaggerated. I find most only have a strong command of English (which is a given), and little of anything else (besides a passive understanding of languages close to their native tongue, or other languages with official status in their respective countries). I'm always disappointed to hear a Central or Eastern European disregarding the need to speak German due to English, but I guess that's just how it is. There's no need for more than one lingua franca...

Edited by Gunshy on 22 January 2014 at 3:55pm

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version