Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
22 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5208 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 17 of 22
18 July 2012 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Lang-8 can provide you with really awesome corrections, but it's largely a matter of who your friends are. You make friends by correcting other people's diaries carefully, and explaining things like "This is grammatical, but it sounds kind of odd," which is a thousand times more helpful than just some red marks. And you want friends who are natural born-editors and a little addicted to lang-8.

Do what @emk suggests and people will beat a path to your door. Simply correcting without explaining is not nearly as effective or useful as taking the time to do it right. People generally appreciate someone who goes just a little bit out of their way to help. If that particular person doesn't reciprocate, what you do will be noticed and appreciated by others who do care. You will then have the functional equivalent and benefit of quality native-speaker instruction. As in life in general, going beyond the minimum will reap greater rewards.

@nj24, you will be alright. The most important part of reaching any goal is the desire to do so. That desire will drive you to do the necessary work. Good luck with your goal, and, please, drop by again in a couple of weeks to let us know how it all went.

2 persons have voted this message useful

nj24
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4609 days ago

56 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian, French

Message 18 of 22
07 December 2013 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
I created this thread over a year ago and have been meaning to come back and post an update. Better late than
never, right?

Here is my long overdue update:

After being disappointed with my level of Spanish at the economics conference and not feeling quite confident
that I could tell fellow students that I actually spoke Spanish, I felt motivated to find a Spanish speaking partner
who was learning English and would like to do a language exchange. However, I continued to make excuses. I
really didn't want to talk with a complete stranger, which ruled out the easy way of finding a partner through
websites like iTalki.

I do have a bilingual friend (one of my motivations to learn the language), and we'd often text in Spanish, but
since we're long distance friends, when we actually got a chance to talk over Skype, we'd usually just speak
in English. It's funny, but I find that once my brain identifies someone with a certain language, I find it a bit of an
effort to switch into another language when talking to him or her. Or maybe it was just me continuing to make
excuses in order to postpone my speaking practice.

Anyhow, after the conference, I continued to seriously study Spanish and work on my listening and reading skills.
I don't use Anki or anything like that to memorize vocabulary; I just pick up words naturally from constant
reading. As I read more and more and listened to hours of podcasts, radio programs, music, and dubbed movies,
I found that I was relying less and less on subtitles and transcripts. I've since been watching a television show
from Spain without subtitles and, on good days, I can understand about 85-90% of the content. Of course, it's
easier to understand conversations in a TV show than those in person because you have the added benefit of
completely understanding the context and watching the stories unfold. It's much different when you are talking
to someone and can't see a visual depiction of what they're talking about.

Studying a foreign language is my main hobby, and this constant studying meant that eventually my brain
revolted against my excuses that I needed more time to perfect my Spanish knowledge before asking my friends
if they knew anyone who would like to do a language exchange with me. I'd just finished the third volume of FSI
Basic Spanish (so, really, I couldn't say that I needed to study more grammar). I'd also opened an account on
Lang-8 and found it an invaluable resource. I'd write something, post it on Lang-8, take the corrections and
rewrite the entry to post on a separate Spanish blog, read through the new post several times, then try to talk
about the topic naturally using the vocabulary and sentences that I'd written. (I don't try to memorize it word for
word. Rather, I try to remember as much as I can and speak as naturally as possible, as if I were having a
conversation with someone on the topic.)

I think writing, especially, really started waking up the speaking part of my brain. When I couldn't fall asleep at
night, I'd stay awake chatting with myself in Spanish, and sometimes when I was talking to a friend, a Spanish
phrase or word would pop into my head before the English one.

So I got up the courage to ask my Spanish friend if he knew anyone who would be interested in doing a language
exchange with me. I don't know why I hadn't asked him sooner. He got back to me the next day, saying his
cousin was very interested and when would I like to start?

And that's how I ended up finding a language partner. Her English is much better than my Spanish, but I've kept
all of our correspondence to arrange meetings in Spanish. This has been a great way to learn more vocabulary!
After our first video chat over Skype, I was very disappointed with my speaking level. I think I may have just been
nervous, as my speaking skills seemed to progress quite quickly over the next several meetings. The last time we
spoke I was able to have a conversation for over an hour only in Spanish. I only reverted to English to say the
name of an object or concept and then would ask in Spanish how to translate it. Yes, sometimes I did get
flustered and would forget simple words or verb conjugations. But it certainly wasn't the end of the world.

And let me just say that my listening skills have been a huge help. She's from Peru, and my ears are much more
attuned to Peninsular Spanish accents than those of Latin America. I guess I've listened to more podcasts and
watched more TV shows from Spain. She starts out speaking slowly and clearly, but then as we continue talking,
her words get faster and faster and the pronunciation is not as clear and sometimes the Internet connection
makes the audio stall. I think if my listening skills were not as strong, I would be completely lost.

Overall, I'd say if you want to take your language to the next level, you absolutely must find a language partner
and make time to practice speaking the language at least several hours a week if not more, even if that just
means talking to yourself. At the same time, I am not terribly worried about my speaking level. Learning Spanish
has never been a sprint for me. I've always seen it as a long journey. I think I could have started speaking the
language earlier, but I don't think I would have gotten as much out of it, and I may have been even more
frustrated that I couldn't express myself or understand my language partner. My listening skills aren't bad (of
course, I still need practice). My grammar knowledge is fairly solid, and I have a fairly large vocabulary. Overall, I
now have the confidence that I could tell someone I speak Spanish and be able to carry on a short conversation.
That was my goal for 2013.

My goal for 2014 is to leave behind all of my textbooks (I am planning to finish volume 5 of FSI by the end of
December) and concentrate on speaking and writing more and immersing myself in native content. This will also
free up my time to study other languages (after studying Spanish for so long, I'm beginning to feel the urge to
discover a new foreign language and have already started dabbling a bit in Mandarin). I am also thinking about
possibly enrolling in a MOOC course from a Spanish university.

Sorry this post ended up so long. I suppose I could have just written: ¡Muchas gracias a todos por su ayuda y sus
consejos! Me han ayudado mucho. To anyone who has a strong grasp on his or her target language, but lacks the
confidence to find a language partner and start speaking: No dudes porque crees que no vas a encontrar las
palabras adecuadas o que no vas a ser capaz de explicar lo que quieres decir. The very act of speaking will build
your confidence! And only through speaking can you improve your speaking skills.

Edited by nj24 on 08 December 2013 at 6:12am

7 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6543 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 19 of 22
07 December 2013 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
So glad to hear you're doing well! Consider joining TAC for 2014 :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4635 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 20 of 22
08 December 2013 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
So glad to hear you're doing well! Consider joining language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37422&PN=1">TAC for 2014 :)

Yes! We are definitely looking for Mandarin learners.   You should really Consider it.

But no pressure. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

nj24
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4609 days ago

56 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian, French

Message 21 of 22
08 December 2013 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the invite! It would be great to study with other Mandarin learners. I'll check it out.
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4774 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 22 of 22
08 December 2013 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
@nj24:

What you've said about associating a person with a particular language is perfectly
valid, in my opinion.

If you've known someone a longish time, and always spoken to them in English, it's then
quite difficult (on both sides) to start speaking in another language, even though it's
the native language of the other person, and no matter how much the other person wants
to help you.

Hard as it may seem, it's perhaps better in those situations to find someone else to
speak the target language with.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version