United States
Joined 4858 days ago

115 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Italian, English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 9 of 9
26 November 2013 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
thank you everyone for all the advice.

I've been at it for about 2 months now, and I'm very happy with my progress. I'm on lesson 30 in Assimil, and using Anki whenever I have downtime on my phone. I also downloaded a dictionary on my phone, so whenever I try to think to myself in German, I can just look up the words.

I torrented the German reader pack, and am working my way through the A1 level book, which is actually a pretty easy read :D.

Of course, time is the only issue. I'm studying full time at my university, and so can't always study for more than 30 minutes a day. I'd say I average about 9 hours a week, (not counting me looking up words and reviewing on Anki.)

I'm not worrying about the grammar that much. I understand how all the cases work, and am actually shocked that people talked them up to be so difficult. I feel they are quite intuitive after a bit of exposure.

My biggest challenge thus far is the large amount of vocab, and different word order that I'm dealing with.

Great News: My suite mate from last year is now a grad student at my university, (and actually teaching German! while studying Spanish/German translation) and moved here from Germany as a teenager.
After break we will be meeting up weekly, and he will help me with German, if I will speak to him in Spanish for the other half.

If I keep up my momentum, and study hard, I'm sure I'll be more than satisfied with my German by the time summer comes!

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version