United States
junglevision.co
Joined 6071 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 9 of 15
12 October 2013 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
If you're planning a trip to Asia soon, getting Japanese to 'tourist level' -- isn't any more difficult.

And hang in there on the Chinese.   For me, the first 500 Japanese words were so difficult to memorize. I was hammering on flash cards for months and months before I really got the first set of words memorized. Learning vocabulary did get easier after that.

I did meet someone in sharedtalk chat rooms working on both Chinese and Japanese in their degree program. Every once in awhile they'd use an unusual Chinese word in their Japanese but otherwise they seemed to manage.

If you have full time job, though. Chinese + Japanese + working full time?   I don't see how this would be possible.
1 person has voted this message useful

Oheao
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4114 days ago

31 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Mandarin, Greek

Message 10 of 15
12 October 2013 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
cathrynm wrote:
If you're planning a trip to Asia soon, getting Japanese to 'tourist
level' -- isn't any more difficult.

And hang in there on the Chinese.   For me, the first 500 Japanese words were so
difficult to memorize. I was hammering on flash cards for months and months before I
really got the first set of words memorized. Learning vocabulary did get easier after
that.

I did meet someone in sharedtalk chat rooms working on both Chinese and Japanese in
their degree program. Every once in awhile they'd use an unusual Chinese word in their
Japanese but otherwise they seemed to manage.

If you have full time job, though. Chinese + Japanese + working full time?   I don't
see how this would be possible.

Yeah, I was progressing at an okay speed, then I slowed down for some reason. I think
that I am getting back on track though, so it might speed up a little. I am a student,
so I don't have a full time job yet, so I have quite a bit of free time.

Oheao
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4114 days ago

31 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Mandarin, Greek

Message 11 of 15
12 October 2013 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
anime wrote:
You should definitely give up on Japanese. Apparently the grammar, writing
and intonation are way too hard
as some people have explained to me

I don't think that that will scare me out of learning Japanese. I am already expecting
the grammar to be difficult.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4653 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 12 of 15
12 October 2013 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Just learn them both. Screw grammar.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4770 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 13 of 15
14 October 2013 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
I also suggest waiting until you are at least early intermediate in mandarin and then starting to dabble only in
japanese (that means something light and breezy, an introduction, something audio oriented), while continuing to
concentrate on mandarin.

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5996 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 14 of 15
24 October 2013 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
I would strongly advise against learning both at the same time from the beginning!
Japanese words and Chinese words can be easily confused, for example,

Chinese; 大丈夫 da zhang fu = macho man

Japanese 大丈夫 dai jou bu = it's ok, no problem

Besides the fact that both of these languages are difficult, and diffusing your energy
among them at the crucial beginning state would form bad habits and encourage
wanderlust, starting to learn vocab from the beginning would mean you would have to
keep track of all of the prunciations of the same character shared between the
languages.

So to answer your question, I would wait until an "solid intermediate level" before
starting to learn Japanese. My view of this "magic point" is it's when you can use the
language to learn the language, you are totally self sufficient in the language and
don't really need to go back to English or German. For me in Chinese, it was around
1500 characters and 5000 words. Very rough and subjective definition! Feel it out for
yourself.

Good luck

2 persons have voted this message useful

russtache512
United States
pandamanda.com
Joined 3974 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Mandarin

Message 15 of 15
18 November 2013 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
I would have to agree with irrationale. I don't speak or study Japanese but I'm beginning
my Mandarin studies and have heard from multiple people that have acquired Mandarin as a
2nd or third language that 1000 Characters is the magic number for intermediate fluency.

Once you achieve 1000 Characters, you can decide whether learning Japanese makes sense or
not. If you want to achieve upper intermediate or low level advanced Mandarin, I would
set your goal at 3000 characters. I've just reached the 100 character mark so I've got
quite a bit of work to do before reaching my magic number of intermediate fluency.

Good luck!

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version