Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3974 days ago

44 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, Galician
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 1 of 12
23 November 2013 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
Is it recommendable to not learn two languages at the same time? Even if they are
extremely different from one another?
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5208 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 12
23 November 2013 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
Yes, you can learn more than one language at the same time, but just because you can, should you? Only you can answer that question. There are pros and cons to studying multiple languages simultaneously. You have to be very disciplined and manage your time well. It's not for everyone. I don't do it because my learning method requires more than just courses and anki reps- and my time is limited. So, learning multiple languages simultaneously is not for me.

Many people here on the forum do study multiple languages at the same time, perhaps the majority of members. Expugnator, Tarvos, Serpent, Chung and kujichagulia make it happen. Check out their logs. They all have their own strategies.

Though many of the multiple language learners tend to have a long list, some as long as your arm, usually, most people only have one or two on the go at the same time. You are the only one who knows if learning multiple languages simultaneously is right for you. Try it and see how it goes.

Edited by iguanamon on 23 November 2013 at 1:47am

3 persons have voted this message useful

gRodriguez
Triglot
Groupie
Joined 3974 days ago

44 posts - 56 votes 

Message 3 of 12
23 November 2013 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Yes, you can learn more than one language at the same time, but just
because you can, should you? Only you can answer that question. There are pros and cons
to studying multiple languages simultaneously. You have to be very disciplined and
manage your time well. It's not for everyone. I don't do it because my learning method
requires more than just courses and anki reps- and my time is limited. So, learning
multiple languages simultaneously is not for me.

Many people here on the forum do study multiple languages at the same time, perhaps the
majority of members. Expugnator, Tarvos, Serpent, Chung and kujichagulia make it
happen. Check out their logs. They all have their own strategies.

Though many of the multiple language learners tend to have a long list, some as long as
your arm, usually, most people only have one or two on the go at the same time. You are
the only one who knows if learning multiple languages simultaneously is right for you.
Try it and see how it goes.

As a teenager (e um vagabundo também), I have a lot of time and since Spanish is
extremely easy (it could only be easier if I was Galician), I think I can bare it.

Thanks again for the help!

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4236 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 4 of 12
23 November 2013 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
When I was 13, I did three languages at once, then at 14, four at once in classes. Now
I do not take classes, but study five almost everyday by myself, which helps
tremendously to refresh memory, concepts, etc. with consistent exposure. The problem
however, is if your languages are in one family, doing all of them like I do might
cause confusion. I do do some silly mistakes from mixing because I do Spanish,
Portuguese, French, and Italian each day, sometimes alternating in 30 minute intervals,
like this:

14.30--Spanish
15.00--Portuguese
15.30--French
16.00--Dutch
16.30--Italian
17.00--Spanish
17.30--French
18.00--Italian
18.30--Portuguese
19.00--Dutch

I admit that this sometimes causes confusion, but one can accustom oneself thereto as
such.

I would imagine the same might happen for someone studying Norwegian, Icelandic,
Swedish, and Danish in one day, or a combination of Dutch, German, and Frisian in one
day. The advantages seem to surpass the disadvantages from my experience, however. The
largest is that I do not need to spend long times on one language in one given day
since I do each a little per day.

I would avoid doing this excessively though, i.e. studying Spanish, French, Portuguese,
Galician, Catalan, Italian, Latin, Valencian, and Romanian, for example, each day, and
all in one day, as that has a high risk of causing serious confusion and simply too
much work.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 23 November 2013 at 2:26am

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5208 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 5 of 12
23 November 2013 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
Don't think that just because you speak Portuguese, that Spanish will be so simple. Yes, you can understand a lot without any study at all, but to really speak Spanish well (not just getting the gist and basically communicating), you're going to have to work at it, just like any language. As Mark Twain said: "The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning!".

Check out the Brazilian blog Los insistentes from alumni of the Cervantes Institute in Rio. Scroll down to Bianca Stamato's post for a Brazilian's take on how "easy" Spanish is. Others will be able to give you advice on how to physically fit multiple languages into your routine. Boa sorte!

Edited by iguanamon on 23 November 2013 at 3:48am

4 persons have voted this message useful

gRodriguez
Triglot
Groupie
Joined 3974 days ago

44 posts - 56 votes 

Message 6 of 12
23 November 2013 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
When I was 13, I did three languages at once, then at 14, four at once
in classes. Now
I do not take classes, but study five almost everyday by myself, which helps
tremendously to refresh memory, concepts, etc. with consistent exposure. The problem
however, is if your languages are in one family, doing all of them like I do might
cause confusion. I do do some silly mistakes from mixing because I do Spanish,
Portuguese, French, and Italian each day, sometimes alternating in 30 minute intervals,
like this:

14.30--Spanish
15.00--Portuguese
15.30--French
16.00--Dutch
16.30--Italian
17.00--Spanish
17.30--French
18.00--Italian
18.30--Portuguese
19.00--Dutch

I admit that this sometimes causes confusion, but one can accustom oneself thereto as
such.

I would imagine the same might happen for someone studying Norwegian, Icelandic,
Swedish, and Danish in one day, or a combination of Dutch, German, and Frisian in one
day. The advantages seem to surpass the disadvantages from my experience, however. The
largest is that I do not need to spend long times on one language in one given day
since I do each a little per day.

I would avoid doing this excessively though, i.e. studying Spanish, French, Portuguese,
Galician, Catalan, Italian, Latin, Valencian, and Romanian, for example, each day, and
all in one day, as that has a high risk of causing serious confusion and simply too
much work.

Is it even possible to study Spanish and Galician at the same time when you are a
lusophone?

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4236 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 7 of 12
23 November 2013 at 4:42am | IP Logged 
Any combination is possible, but the very close etymology might cause more confusion than
other combinations. Still, I think in the Nordic countries, they also study other Nordic
languages in school, which are very closely related.

But regarding two languages simultaneously, I would opine as there is no problem. Three
or more as well, as long as one can thereto accustom oneself, and there is sufficient
time and energy.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6543 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 8 of 12
23 November 2013 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Um no, Scandinavians understand the neighbours' languages without any formal studying. But they have a lot of exposure and if they conversate, everybody speaks his or her native language (unless they actually move to a neighbouring country, but even then not everyone needs to learn to speak).

But anyway, Spanish and Japanese is a doable combination for a Brazilian :-) Reminds me a lot on kujichagulia who's a native English speaker living in Japan and focusing mostly on Japanese, but also learning Portuguese.

My log doesn't contain much info on how I manage my number of languages, but basically my strategy is just All Foreign Languages All The Time. you might have heard of AJATT, and if not, check it out. But although I love Portuguese and several other languages a lot, Finnish was the only one I could learn with such dedication. Nowadays I just make sure to have as little Russian and English in my life as possible.

See this wikia article too.

Edited by Serpent on 23 November 2013 at 12:26pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version