Joined 4045 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 9 of 12
23 November 2013 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
Still, I think in the Nordic countries, they also study other Nordic
languages in school, which are very closely related.

Serpent wrote:
Um no, Scandinavians understand the neighbours' languages without any formal studying.

You are both right, in a sense.

There isn't a lot of formal study, but the native language curricula of Denmark, Norway and Sweden include a certain degree of understanding the other two. In Sweden, students up to the age of 15 are occasionally exposed to Danish and Norwegian texts and films, and I think that in Norway and Denmark there are certain requirements even as to how much a student must be able to understand at certain ages.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that the Nordics "study other Nordic languages in school", though. Those who live there are sometimes exposed to and expected to be able to interpret texts in a school environment, but at least in Sweden this is all done in Swedish class. There's no Danish or Norwegian textbook. There's no regular studying.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6543 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 12
23 November 2013 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
Wow, interesting. Is it part of learning the history of your native language and seeing how it's different from the neighbours? Or is it explicitly done to make understanding Scandinavian people and media easier?

Is Finland Swedish ever mentioned btw? ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 4045 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 11 of 12
23 November 2013 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Wow, interesting. Is it part of learning the history of your native language and seeing how it's different from the neighbours? Or is it explicitly done to make understanding Scandinavian people and media easier?

When I went to school, the purpose was expressed as a mere mutual understanding. I'm not sure I ever learned anything about the history of the Swedish language in school, and I definitely didn't learn anything about the mutual history of the Norse languages in school.

Serpent wrote:

Finland what?? ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6855 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 12
23 November 2013 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

I have my old textbook in front of me, "Språket och vi" (ISBN 91-40-61036-5). One chapter is devoted to "languages in time and space" (Språk i tid och rum), meaning languages of the world, runes, old Swedish and so on, including a section on dialects and one on the languages of Scandinavia (including Finnish, Saami and Greenlandic) - about ten pages for that last section. The Swedish subject is divided into two parts, and we get grades in each of them - the Swedish language (including composition, grammar, language history etc.) and Literature (history, novels, poetry etc.).

Maybe Finland Swedish is mentioned among the dialects in the current material, who knows.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version