Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5021 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 1 of 6
02 December 2013 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
This question is about those languages at which you have already reached a high B1 or a
B2 and on level. Even if you don't need to study from textbooks anymore, how often do
you think is appropriate to work on them to keep them improving somehow, so you can
reach C1?

I ask this because next year I'm going to have 3 languages at this condition: French,
Papiamento and Norwegian. I don't want to drop any of them or to drop a resource at
them, that is, I don't want to stop reading in French and watch only TV instead. Yet I
need to find room in my schedule for more, as I need to start German which might soon
get at this same stage and I'm going to need time for watching TV and reading in
German, too.

I also need to find time for active input which I can't work on properly yet because
often I reach burn out after a busy study day.

So, I was thinking about doing this "maintenance" on alternate days, that is:

Monday
French reading 20 pg
Norwegian watching TV 20'
Papiamento reading 2 pg

Tuesday
French watching films 10'
Norwegian reading 10 pg
Papiamento listening to TV in the background

Wednesday
French reading 20 pg
Norwegian watching TV 20'
Papiamento reading 2 pg

and so on...Would it mean my French vocabulary would be improving twice as slow as
before? Currently I perform all those activities each day. I did them today. The
difference would be that when I wouldn't have to read in French, I'd read in German or
write something in any of my languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6452 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 6
02 December 2013 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
These sound like pretty small units tbh. I'd say you need flow much more than you need those daily minutes. Especially in Papiamento you'll be more staying in touch with it than improving.

If you add stuff from your media to SRS, I think it's much better to have a proper weekly session of at least 30 min (and up to 90-120 min with small breaks), and then do your repetitions every day to stay in touch with the language. If you don't do SRS, you can listen to music, play lyricstraining where available, read short updates on twitter or facebook. (of course these are excellent even if you do SRS, and a great source of more stuff to add).

Basically, for short sessions, focus on what is intended to be short and quick. It's much better to read one tweet here and there, for a total of 1-2 pages, than to read a whole book 1-2 pages at a time. (poetry is an exception, though)

Edited by Serpent on 03 December 2013 at 2:23pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4543 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 3 of 6
02 December 2013 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
I don't have an answer, but I'm again blown away by what I assume is the power of the
internet, in that you can plan to watch movies and tv in french, norwegian and papiamento
whenever you decide to and not even think it necessary to explain how on earth that is
possible. We live in amazing times...
6 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4376 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 4 of 6
02 December 2013 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Serpent.

Especially with listening, longer sessions seem better to me, even if that means you
can't work on a specific language every day. It feels more like the language gets
implanted into your brain, it gets you unconciously thinking in your target language.
Short sessions don't seem to have that effect on me.
You seem to be a very organized person, so maybe you can handle your schedule for a
longer period of time. I couldn't, it's just too boring to do these small pre-planned
tasks. I do whatever I feel like doing, in whatever language I feel like doing it, as
long as every language gets its piece of the cake in the long run.
1 task and language per day, rotating the task/language combinations every 3 days, would
be something inbetween these two extremes.
7 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5062 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 6
03 December 2013 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
I'm wondering about this as well since I'm planning to try and cram a third language into my already busy schedule, while still working on the others. I don't have much to contribute, but despite being a relatively organised person I've found that "20 minutes of X then 20 minutes of Y" type schedules never work for me and it's better just going with the flow and doing what I feel like at the time. Sometimes I'm simply more in the mood for Italian than for French or vice versa, so I don't fight it. It probably all balances out in the longer term.

During periods when I'm off work and I have more time to play with, I do find this sort of thing a bit easier, although with bigger chunks like one film or an hour of study - like Serpent said, it's more time to focus on something get into "flow". But still, it never exactly goes as planned.
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7060 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 6 of 6
04 December 2013 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
Find something you are interested in and that will carry you through.

I agree with Serpent's comment that listening for a longer period - I find this with reading as well - gets you in
the groove.

The time periods are relative. I have sessions as short as a minute or two, and some that may be 40 minutes
or more. Depends on what fits in your life.

I find that short sessions do lay the foundation for steady progress. The question really is though, If one can
study for an hour a day and has 3 languages, is it best to do some of each every day. I've used an hour or 90
minutes to rotate through several languages sometimes more than once. Actually, that's what Professor
Arguelles does as well.

I occasionally feel tempted to devote most of my time to a single object, and then rotate languages over a
slightly longer period - this also aligns with what Serpent was saying. Here, I'm thinking more about reading
or listening to a book in one language before moving on to another book or movie or program in the next.
Depending on the length of the book or movie, one may spend a few days or a few weeks on a single
language. Maybe that will be a 2014 experiment.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version