Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3986 days ago

12 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Slovenian

Message 1 of 8
03 December 2013 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
In 8 days, I have to go to Oxford University (Somerville College) for an interview to do
a BA in French there and I'm really worried D:
I've only been studying French (at all) since May and I assume they'll take that into
account, but I'm really conscious of how stilted and unfluent I feel like I'll sound when
I speak.
Does anyone have any advice? Myself, I'm thinking I should try and Skype with people in
French (any offers btw?), make videos of my self speaking French and ask for critique,
revise vocabulary, and watch a lot of films. Is there anything else? What do you
recommend?
1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4304 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 8
03 December 2013 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
8 days?

I'd say forget critique, review every single audio dialogue you can, and speak french all the time, even to yourself.

Tune in a news radio station and listen all day long.

Above all, have confidence. Show them you are willing to improve fast, even if now you are not perfect. And show no fear.

I hope you give us the good news in 9 days!

2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5478 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 8
03 December 2013 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
You've definitely got some good ideas!

Here are some short-term ways to fake a higher level of proficiency. They seem to work for me; no guarantees for anybody else. :-)

- If you do nothing else, get Boris Shekhtman's How to Improve Your Foreign Language Immediately. Lots of good tricks here for using "islands", preparing for likely topics, stalling for time, etc. He spent a lot of time preparing people for FSI exams, and he never had enough time to actually teach people enough new language to make a big difference. So he focused on exploiting what they had.

- From now until your exam, strongly consider doing "All French All The Time", to steal an idea from Khatzumoto. Everything you do between now and then should be done in French if there's any way at all to do it. This will "activate" your French to the greatest extent possible, and get your brain used to operating in French. Non-stop immersion can buy you at least half a CEFR level in speaking skill, especially if you manage to shut down your English internal monologue almost completely. Or at least this has always been true for me.

- Do lots of self-talk, both on general subjects and on likely interview topics. Keep your internal monologue in French. Write 100 word essays every day and get them corrected. (Lang-8 is useful for this, but it takes time to make friends with competent correctors.) If you don't know how to say something, look it up on Linguee.

- Strongly consider working with a tutor on likely interview topics.

- Lots of Skype time with French speakers is also an excellent idea.

That's all I can think of.
7 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5321 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 4 of 8
03 December 2013 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
The "islands" advice is good. Sometimes on short notice I have to speak to customers about fairly technical topics and I put together a few "islands" and practice them. I can anticipate reasonably well what topics might come up. I would imagine you could prepare a few "islands" that you could work into almost any type of conversation in you interview setting. A cool thing about "islands" is that once you whip off a good "island" you will feel very confident during the rest of the conversation.

Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4190 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 5 of 8
03 December 2013 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
Bah you shouldn't have mentioned your college is Somerville, since I'm now really,
really, tempted to ask if you're a woman. You'll see when you get here, haha.

If you had asked a few weeks ago I could have given you something more detailed, found
a friend who has passed through the mod langs course and got detailed advice. Something
similar came up a while back for someone wanting to study languages and I gave some
advice that would helpful to you if you can find it.

First, emks advice is good, really good, like you will probably end up using it in job
interviews.

Second, as I've previously explained the courses here aren't "how good is your French?"
but "how clever are you at X series of tasks in any given language?" you'll be expected
to read and parse literature, modern history, politics and even linguistics if you
like. The course is interdisciplinary. I've stressed this before whenever Oxon comes up
but it always gets ignored, so ok...

They will ask you what literature you've read, what you thought about it and so on.

As for the language itself, they contextualise your studies and look for ability not
knowledge. Do what emk says but don't sweat it too much, you've been given the
interview, just perform the best you possibly can. Remember, no one is there to trip
you up and despite what sore losers tell you the interview process is fair and meant to
help you, not antagonise you.

Good luck. :)

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 5135 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 6 of 8
04 December 2013 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
Since an Oxford interview is quite a specific (and nerve-wracking) opportunity, my advice is to find one or two educated adults (academics, teachers, mentors, family friends etc.) who are prepared to conduct several (at least 3) mock interviews with you before the date arrives.

In a nutshell, my advice is: don't stress about trying to "cram" with French in these 8 days. Your level is not going to improve measurably in a week. The main thing is to be well-prepared for the pressure of being interviewed, so you remain composed and can make best use of the French you know, rather than having a meltdown.

I do subscribe to the idea of islands though. Spend some time to at least prepare and memorise a few of these on topics that are likely to come up.

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 5135 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 7 of 8
04 December 2013 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
Also: rather than watching many French films, just watch one good one and write a short speech about it so you can impress the interviewers with your insights on French cinema.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4774 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 8 of 8
04 December 2013 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
chokofingrz wrote:
Also: rather than watching many French films, just watch one good
one and write a short speech about it so you can impress the interviewers with your
insights on French cinema.

Sounds like a good idea, but I'd suggest having a backup one as well, in case they
decide to find out if the first film is the only French film you have ever seen (which
is probably unlikely, in any case).

From what I've heard about Oxford (and Cambridge), as well as all the things people
have already mentioned, I think they like people who stand out a bit from the crowd.
Which doesn't mean playing up your eccentricities, or furiously trying to learn
unicycle-juggling, but try to think of something which you can talk about confidently,
and which will help them to remember you long after they have stopped yawning over the
few doxen candidates they interviewed after you.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version