Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4015 days ago

21 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: German, Russian, French

Message 25 of 26
18 December 2013 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
While I was only really actively taught one language at home, my non-native parents did incorporate the other languages they speak in raising me. My father started reading to us in English right from the beginning. And we watched British, German and French televison together with them. They'd definitely promote watching foreign tv and reading books. These languages were also moderately used in daily life, in expressions, and sometimes they spoke to each other in it (they are mostly fluent and have lived abroad speaking these languages). It was fun for me to 'guess' what they were saying.
I do remember sometimes at school, or with friends, using an expression or a word, and finding out it was another language because they wouldn't understand. I think for me that was the only confusing thing about growing up somewhat surrounded with multiple languages; not really understanding which language I'm speaking or thinking in. It felt natural to me being like this but sometimes it was a little alienating when I was not with my family. When I grew up I began to recognise which language was which automatically.

This hasn't lead to me being fluent in those languages in itself, but I did develop a 'feel' for languages I think, and passive skills in multiple languages which help my learning immensely. With my siblings as well.
It's probably something different to being taught actively at home and/or with teachers from an early age, but I wanted to share my experience in being raised passively multilingual with non-native speaking parents.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3953 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 26 of 26
19 December 2013 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
From what I've read and the arguments presented on both sides, it seems that it has a very slim chance of working. I would personally still try it with a child just to see how successful I would be but I would need, like someone said earlier, outside resources. Enrolling them in a bilingual school and also taking periodic trips to the country sound like a great idea. I guess my main thing is that I would want my kids to be exposed to other cultures and other ideals. I don't just want them to be monolingual and only know about whats happening in their own backyard. I think my goal should be less for a specific language and more for cultivating and interest in other people and places.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version