anethara
Diglot
England
Joined 4188 days ago

25 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*, Sign Language

Message 1 of 11
16 December 2013 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Hey, I'm really aware this is a really loose thread title and I'm sorry for that, but I'd
really appreciate some advice. I'm at the stage in Norwegian where I feel I'm past
conventional learning materials and my best way to continue learning is by consuming as
much Norwegian media as I can, so I feel like I can start learning another language
without it negatively impacting upon Norwegian.

The languages I'm considering are:
Polish, Russian, Icelandic, Hindi, Hungarian, French, Italian or Spanish.

And I am completely stuck between them. Does anyone have any advice, please?
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4814 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 2 of 11
16 December 2013 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
Maybe what you need is to start giving them a try. Study each of them for a short period of time and see if anything makes you want to stay - as soon as that happens you have an answer. Another idea would be to look at which culture/native media, etc. fascinates you most as that will likely help you not to get burned out. Are any of these languages already part of your life in any way? I hope this helps. Good luck with whichever you choose!

Edited by druckfehler on 16 December 2013 at 1:30am

2 persons have voted this message useful

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3943 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 3 of 11
16 December 2013 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
anethara wrote:
Hey, I'm really aware this is a really loose thread title and I'm sorry for that, but I'd
really appreciate some advice. I'm at the stage in Norwegian where I feel I'm past
conventional learning materials and my best way to continue learning is by consuming as
much Norwegian media as I can, so I feel like I can start learning another language
without it negatively impacting upon Norwegian.

The languages I'm considering are:
Polish, Russian, Icelandic, Hindi, Hungarian, French, Italian or Spanish.

And I am completely stuck between them. Does anyone have any advice, please?

Whatever you really need to learn, want to learn (motivation), and have opportunities to speak with natives.

Since you're in England, French or Italian are logical choices if you are ambivalent about those languages. Why are you considering those languages? Do you have friends that are from those countries that speak the languages or do you like their cultures?

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4955 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 4 of 11
16 December 2013 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
Without any information like what do you want to use the language for, what ties do you have to the cultures or countries, which ones do you like the most, which would be the easiest for you to practice with natives etc., it is like asking: "What should I eat for dinner tonight?". :-)

anethara
Diglot
England
Joined 4188 days ago

25 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*, Sign Language

Message 5 of 11
16 December 2013 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
Thank-you so much for the advice! Since you mentioned reasons for speaking these, here
are some quick reasons, if it would help in choosing. :3

Polish - I regularly visit a place with a large amount of native speakers, and am
friends with a native speaker, so I'd be excited for a chance to practice it with
natives.

Russian - I think it's a beautiful language. Not practical for me, though!

Icelandic - I adore Icelandic, I think it's so pretty and I'd like to visit Iceland.

Hindi - I think it's interesting. To be honest that's a pretty crap reason.

French, Italian and Spanish - The countries they're spoken in seem interesting! Again a
pretty bad reason...

Looking at it, the only one I'd be able to practice semi-regularly is Polish, but
that's only semi-regularly as I only visit the place Polish is spoken a lot once every
other week.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 6051 days ago

707 posts - 1220 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 6 of 11
16 December 2013 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
anethara wrote:

Looking at it, the only one I'd be able to practice semi-regularly is Polish, but
that's only semi-regularly as I only visit the place Polish is spoken a lot once every
other week.

Well, if social interaction in your next language is a major factor in your choice, then Polish would make a lot of sense. And you'd find lots more opportunities to use it regularly considering that Polish is now the 2nd most spoken language in England (after English of course). I've made a lot of Polish friends, and knowing their language is a very rewarding experience. Yes, it is difficult, it just takes a bit longer to acquire. There's plenty of good course materials and native materials to enjoy, including a rich literary heritage.

Of course, if your heart's not in it then choose something else. Ideally a language you like enough to keep going when motivation occasionally wobbles. A language (and associated culture, people etc.) you like now, and could see yourself spending the rest of your life with.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6543 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 11
16 December 2013 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
Mooby wrote:
Ideally a language you like enough to keep going when motivation occasionally wobbles.
This. It's more important what you do when you don't feel like studying than when you feel like it.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5266 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 8 of 11
16 December 2013 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
If you can't make up your mind, you could take a page from Keith Brooks who "speed-dated" and scored 37 languages. Here's a link to his blog, which you have to read from bottom to top.
He used to have a Youtube account, but closed it, but there's still a PRI World In Words podcast in which he describes his method.

Edited by Doitsujin on 16 December 2013 at 7:21pm

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version