Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3953 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 1 of 15
20 December 2013 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
I'm trying to improve my listening comprehension in German by listening to podcasts but I find myself
tuning it out instead of actively listening. Even when I'm not doing anything else I find I'm not fully paying
attention. Why is it so hard to concentrate, and how can I force myself to actively listen?
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7151 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 2 of 15
20 December 2013 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
Find an easier podcast.

It it's more interesting to boot, that will help too.

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3943 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 3 of 15
20 December 2013 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
Close your eyes so you don't get distracted by other things. This is what I do when I'm talking with somebody on skype that 1. has a poor connection or 2. talks really fast or has an accent that I'm not good with. (Caribbean or Andalusian Spanish)
3 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4774 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 4 of 15
21 December 2013 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
There is also supposed to be evidence that listening with eyes closed is an aid to
understanding / learning. (Obviously it can't always be done, but I personally try to do
it when it's possible / safe). It seems to help me, especially when I am listening
intently, in the way that Iversen sometimes talks about, although I can't quite remember
his nice turn of phrase to describe it! :-)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6543 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 15
21 December 2013 at 3:08am | IP Logged 
Like a bloodhound follows a trail.

Speaking of blood, as a woman I find that I'm more receptive during "these days" (and also mid-cycle). On the other hand, when the hibernation is over and later during PMS I can be too hyper for listening... but I make up for it by doing something more "active". There's this thread and I'm also exploring the concepts in my log.

(For men this has more to do with the time of the day)
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4814 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 6 of 15
21 December 2013 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
I found it easier to stay focused on Korean podcasts when I listened to them in bed at night. I thought it was a nice way to unwind from the day and it was easier not to get distracted. At the beginning this is quite intense - you get tired from concentrating on barely comprehensible speech. The good thing was that at some point I could just nod off and even use the podcasts to make me fall asleep. My experience has been that if you do this daily, you will notice big improvements over a couple of months, no matter how soon you start falling asleep from the podcasts.
3 persons have voted this message useful

doubleUelle
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3981 days ago

67 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian*, French, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, Thai

Message 7 of 15
21 December 2013 at 5:59am | IP Logged 
What druckfehler said.

I would also recommend that during the day, you try to watch movies and TV shows (if you
can) instead. I think part of the reason you're tuning out is because there is no context
that helps you understand what they're saying - it's just random words, which you may or
may not understand. So it gets boring (even if the podcast[s] are about things that
interest you).

If you watch a TV show or movie, there are pictures that give you some idea of what's
going on, even if you don't understand everything they're saying. It makes a huge
difference IME (as long as you find movies/TV shows that interest you personally).

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4855 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 8 of 15
21 December 2013 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Nobody's mentioned the obvious: get a transcript and follow along.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version