Joined 7051 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 1 of 28
13 November 2014 at 5:32am | IP Logged 
Do you use flashcards?

If not, why?

If so, do you every wonder whether they help or not?
1 person has voted this message useful

Xenops
United States
thexenops.deviantart
Joined 3671 days ago

112 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 2 of 28
13 November 2014 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
Originally I found flashcards to be very boring. Then I heard about Gabriel Wynder's method (fluent-forever.com), where you incorporate sounds and pictures onto Anki, and I found these effective. The most effective part is remembering pronunciation. For example, Spanish and Italian share a lot of words, but of course they sound different. The constant reinforcement of how an Italian word should (i.e. center, either "sentro" for Spanish or "chentro" for Italian), I find helpful.

I also found the flashcards useful for rare languages. For example, I have very few resources for Hawaiian. I do have an audio list of vocabulary and phrases, so what I have been doing is picking out the phrases with Audicity and then putting them into flashcards.

lately I have not done much with Anki because my six-year-old computer (!) is finally dying, and I'm waiting for my new one in the mail. :) Then I plan to use Anki seriously again.
2 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5154 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 3 of 28
13 November 2014 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
I use flashcards because I've had great results.

I crammed 8000 words within the first 4 months of learning German, which allowed me to understand 96.x% of the words in Yahoo news articles. That meant I could use almost any native material for further learning, which was of course more enjoyable than using TY or children's material.

I don't always cram like that, though. I learned Spanish after French, so vocabulary was relatively easy. But typing in answers and rushing through it trained me to produce Spanish words spontaneously. As a result, I was able to speak and text-chat reasonably fluently right from the first time, even without deliberate writing or speaking practice.

On the other hand, I didn't use flashcards for the first half of my French journey, and that was okay, too. I'd just read a word list every now and then. But my spelling was all over the place. And what fixed it, in the end, was answering flashcards by typing.

300 days into learning Spanish and I know 98.x% of the words in Da Vinci Code, Lord of the Rings, etc. (actual word count, not estimate). No, I don't wonder whether flashcards help. I know they do!

-

Edited by smallwhite on 13 November 2014 at 8:41am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4099 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 28
13 November 2014 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
I only recently managed to get in the habit of using flashcards because I got an Android phone and downloaded AnkiDroid. They never got done on my PC.

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3945 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 5 of 28
13 November 2014 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
I used to enter every single word I learnt from Assimil into a deck and study those, along with every word from a "word of the day" database, and a couple of words per week from a Breton "these are the words you need to read the language" type of list. Then I created another deck of just things like mutations, irregular plurals and compounded prepositional pronouns. The workload, just keeping up with these cards, got really out of hand, it was boring, and for the most part I found that most words were words I could only remember when doing flashcards, and only if they occurred relatively close to other words I'd practised them with. So, I stopped doing flashcards.

I have since picked them back up, though. Now I do sentences with words left out. I mostly copy them from native sources, when I come across a word or a grammar point that I want to get better at, or an expression that would be very useful to remember. It seems to be working a lot better. When I start another language, though, I'm going to go for the Subs2SRS version that emk has been showing lately. That looks even better, but alas isn't something I can implement right now (French level doesn't need it, Breton dubs/subs being kind of a small market so it's a lot of work)
2 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5053 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 28
13 November 2014 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
When I first heard about Anki I started using it a lot, doing a combination of a pre-made "Intermediate French" deck and a personal deck with cards with one word on each side. Neither are, of course, the best way to use them, but they did help a bit. Then I read an anti-flashcards article which, while quite simplistic and contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, I saw the point of it and decided to give up the cards.

A year or two later I got into them again, mostly from seeing people's positive results with them on this forum and perhaps having a more balanced perspective, and using them "properly" (sentence cards with highlighted words or cloze deletions, etc.), and I'm quite convinced that they helped me boost my active skills and get my French out of the "intermediate plateau" that I was stuck in from focusing only on conversation and input.

So now I'm a flashcard convert again and I use them for all languages. They're certainly not the centrepiece of my studies, just an accessory to help retain what I'm learning a little better and keep active skills moving along. And for that purpose they're worth the 10 minutes or so per day, especially now that I have a smartphone so can study them anywhere.

I still miss Anki v1. I found its interval settings really effective straight out of the box; I've tried tweaking the settings in version 2 but can't get them quite right.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6443 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 28
13 November 2014 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
I voted yes, but as of now I don't really use flash cards.

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4946 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 8 of 28
13 November 2014 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
I find them to be mind numbingly boring so I can't use them consistently.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version