Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 3554 days ago

54 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 9 of 28
13 November 2014 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
I use them a lot. Unlike most people here, I find SRSing quite entertaining, so it’s not too much of an effort. I
currently spend around 40 minutes per day doing SRS, but bear in mind that I have two language both of
which I have started less than a year ago, so I’m still in the very intensive, word-list phase of vocabulary
acquisition (I’m trying to learn 12 words per day in each language).
I’m finding it very helpful, the speed at which I’m acquiring vocabulary is remarkable and I feel really good
about it. I do accompany Anki with reading, and once my level is high enough, speaking and listening, but I
found SRS to be extremely effective at getting words to stick. As my vocabulary grows larger and larger, I can
do more and more reading (and soon listening too) and therefore transition to a more “natural” way of
language learning. In a sense I use SRS to “bootstrap” my language learning.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4195 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 28
13 November 2014 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
I don't think I could otherwise "learn" 8k words in Mandarin (not counting thousands of words I've
guessed) in 5 months, studying less than 2 hours a day on average. It might not be the most
entertaining way to learn, but sure is time-effective. So I don't mind it as much, as I'm not learning
languages for fun, but to have fun knowing a language. Or, to reference a previous thread,
language learning isn't an end, but the means for me :)
Though recently, working with Subs2SRS-like cards to boost my listening comprehension (or
rather build it, as it was practically non-existent), can be quite enjoyable... when I'm doing well.
Understanding a sentence, as pronounced by a native speaker, at native speed, etc. gives more of
a sense of progression, than finally getting a word right. Which is not to say isolated vocabulary
study is any less useful.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6549 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 28
13 November 2014 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
I prefer wordlists, and I doubt that I could cram more words in a given time with Anki

Edited by Iversen on 13 November 2014 at 11:27am

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4429 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 12 of 28
13 November 2014 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
I voted "yes" because I use Memrise a lot and have learned a lot of vocab that way this year.

I have tried to use Anki in the past though and can't get on with it at all. I much prefer the way Memrise checks whether an answr is right or wrong (ie. I can't cheat - I either type the word correctly or I don't) and how it automatically chooses when to show me the word again without me having to judge how difficult I've found it.

Anki just strikes me as grey, complicated and depressing, whereas Memrise is bright and colourful and just seems more fun overall :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5108 days ago

2238 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 13 of 28
13 November 2014 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
As one of what will surely be a vast minority who doesn't use flashcards at all and never have used them, I have seen the angst some members, especially beginners, go through using (abusing) this method. By beginners, I'm talking about people who have yet to learn one second language to a high level.

SRS as a part of a well balanced diet for raw beginners (those who haven't learned a second language to a high level yet) is a good thing. When it gets out of control, instead of becoming a boost to memory it becomes the prime interaction with the language, along with a course. This can lead the raw beginner to look at the language as more of a "thing" to be studied instead of seeing the second language in all of its facets of communication.

If I need to, or want to, learn some particular vocabulary, I will write it down in a word list or annotate my pdf's and go over the terms for a few minutes (five at most) a day, always saying the words aloud several times (maybe this is a low tech version of srs). Reading extensively, and interacting with native-speakers and media tends to reinforce this for me. I would find 20 minute isolated daily srs reps to be tedious and it would not put me in a good frame of mind for learning- but that's just me. I'm not saying I won't ever use srs. Emk's subs2srs Spanish experiment shows the efficacy of this method to design and use one's own personal course in artificially boosting exposure to vocabulary and constructions (as an experienced learner). Since it's based on video that you like and enjoy, that would make all the difference for me in using it.

The traditional method: course - anki, more course - more anki- and cramming the most common 5,000 words has zero appeal to me. That being said, if I could incorporate a smidgen of srs into my learning, as a boost not as means unto itself, I would probably be more efficient.

Edited by iguanamon on 13 November 2014 at 1:50pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5276 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 14 of 28
13 November 2014 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
As I write this, I've just finished an hour of working with my Spanish tutor from Mexico and I am
looking at a stack of about 600 flashcards that I use from time to time. I also regularly use
AnkiAndroid on my smartphone.

In my opinion, whether we use wordlists or flashcards, it's basically the same idea: they are both tools
for memorizing words or phrases. Wordlists are more compact and can be organized into thematic
groups on paper. But the contents are in a rigid order. Flashcards are more flexible but require a lot of
manipulation.

As much as I like and appreciate Anki, I often prefer using paper flashcards because I can easily make
little piles of words or phrases for different purposes.

I wonder if people don't go overboard with flashcards, especially Anki. The idea of 5000 entries
boggles my mind. I'm with iguanamon on this. It's not the number of cards that counts, it's what you
do with them. What I like to do, as I did specifically this morning, is choose a small number of cards
whose content I deliberately use with my tutor. I lay the cards out in front of my computer and glance
at them in the course of the conversation. Very effective.

On the other hand, I don't see the point of plowing through thousands of cards. What I have done in
Anki is make small special-purpose decks. For example I have a deck just for the Spanish imperfect
subjunctive, a deck just for certain grammatical quirks and a deck for what I call the C2 threshold.

Edited by s_allard on 13 November 2014 at 2:27pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4379 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 15 of 28
13 November 2014 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
I crammed 8000 words within the first 4 months of learning German, which allowed me to understand 96.x% of the words in Yahoo news articles.

Wow. That's impressive. Can you give some details? What was the structure of the cards? How many new cards did you see per day? How long per day did you study?

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5378 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 28
13 November 2014 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
I would find 20 minute isolated daily srs reps to be tedious and it would not put me in a good frame of mind for learning- but that's just me. I'm not saying I won't ever use srs. Emk's subs2srs Spanish experiment shows the efficacy of this method to design and use one's own personal course in artificially boosting exposure to vocabulary and constructions (as an experienced learner). Since it's based on video that you like and enjoy, that would make all the difference for me in using it.

My morning SRS reps are actually more of a game than anything else:

1. I see an image, and hear a few seconds of dialog.
2. I try to "hear" the dialog and understand it directly in Spanish without translation.
3. I show the back of the card, and look at either the Spanish or English subtitles if I nee them.
4. If I could more-or-less understand the card in Spanish, perhaps after replaying the audio a few times, I pass it.
5. I delete and suspend lots of cards, and choose the difficulty buttons semi-arbitrarily.

It's basically a listening-comprehension game. It's cool because the audio is fun, because I delete any cards which aren't fun, and because I'm making very perceptible progress towards my goal of watching the series without subtitles. I can just play an episode on the TV and hear how much I've learned.

iguanamon wrote:
The traditional method: course - anki, more course - more anki- and cramming the most common 5,000 words has zero appeal to me.

Yeah, I know that vocabulary decks work really well for some people. But when I tried them, I found them absolutely agonizing. There are probably more effective techniques for vocab decks than what I was using. But I find that learning in context is effective and lots of fun, so why bother?

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version