Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5154 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 25 of 28
27 April 2015 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
Thuan wrote:
As I'm not well-versed with Excel, I'd love to see an example of your system in action.

You'd need quite some Excel skills to use my file because it's not fully automatic like Anki. Bascially, if you can't build such a file from scratch yourself, you won't be able to use my file either.

You can use Anki instead. Deactivate words first, and then activate them when you decide to learn them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4290 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 26 of 28
28 April 2015 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
Personally it seemed the best way to learn a language is not to force yourself to memorize words & phrases
systematically (from A-Z). If you have relocated to a country where a language is spoken, I am sure whatever
approach you take would be helpful because you are in an environment that force you to speak and think in a
language in your daily activities.

When you are just taking classes in a foreign language, in your home country, flashcard alone will only give
you the basics. I find listening to the radio, watching TV programs online will improve your listening skills far
more than something passive that almost equals to rogue memorization of new words & phrases.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4755 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 27 of 28
28 April 2015 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
I'm one of those who goes back and forth on my use of flashcards. There was a time when I thought learning a language was essentially learning one or two thousand words. In fact, I learnt very little by doing that.

Now I use flashcards in different ways for different languages. For French I am slowly working through the 2500 most frequent words (I'm around 2300, but not adding any new ones for a while). For Hindi, I'm entering some of the odd words I don't know when I read. I will study these cards a bit, then read the passage again and hopefully the words will stick by being tied to a context. For Sanskrit I've started to enter the words and sentences as I learn them from Assimil le Sanskrit. I'm only learning these passively because it's less stressful and I never intend to speak Sanskrit, only read it. Oh, and the translation side of my Sanskrit cards are in French.

I usually do flashcards on Anki, and usually when I literally have nothing else to do (e.g. while waiting for someone, etc) or while half watching something on TV in English. For that reason, I don't use cards with audio. Some days I might clock up 2 hours (but it's not really 2 hours of work), other days 10 minutes or even nothing.
2 persons have voted this message useful

twopossums
United States
Joined 4203 days ago

34 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 28 of 28
01 May 2015 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
I use flashcards (Anki) to try and help keep something in my memory.

Generally what I do is after a lesson from Assimil, Memorise, a podcast or whatever is I first write them out. I'll make up a sheet with the English sentence on one line and the French on the next. Then I'll usually cut out the audio of the sentence or word in Audacity. I listen to that until I can reproduce it verbally. Then I'll cover up the french on the sheet and try to translate it into french. I'll write it out until I get it right. I say the words out as I write them. Learn the next sentence (I'll usually do 10 or so phrases a day) then do them both, and work my way through them until I can reproduce them all.

That's the way I learn.

I then put them in Anki. The English on the front with the translation and audio file on the back. I feel this helps keep them in my memory. I also try to answer in Anki without thinking too much (of course I do have to stop and think sometimes) but I want the answer to be as automatic as possible.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version