Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 9 of 22
31 December 2013 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
dbag wrote:
Random review wrote:
Cavesa's suggestion of El Ventilador is very good IMO. I have
used it (well, some of it, especially the
grammar section) and it's great. Mine didn't have an answer key but you can get that online.

Oh wow! Now I am excited! Can you tell us more about it? What kind of things does it cover?

P.S
@Randomreview I think I am getting to know this forum and its users far too well- I just knew you would
be posting in this thread when I saw it earlier in the day!

I'm far too predictable. :-(

El Ventilador: the grammar section (which was the section I did thoroughly) was similar to the Gramática
Básica del Estudiante de Español, which was written by many of the same people. The difference was that
it covered far less ground, limiting itself to a few topics that even advanced students still find difficult,
such as por/para, indefinido/imperfect, subjunctive, etc (they assume you already know all the basic stuff)

and cover this limited area in some depth. It was excellent. If memory serves, the grammar section was
only one of about 8 or 9 units (this was two years ago) I had a play with some of the other units: they
looked well written. I seem to remember an excellent one on ways to phrase things for different levels of
politeness. I'll look it out if you want.

Edited by Random review on 31 December 2013 at 1:57am

2 persons have voted this message useful

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5142 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 10 of 22
31 December 2013 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
I'm using the DELE books and A Spanish Learning Grammar (Munoz and Thacker): to be honest I'd not heard of El Ventilador
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7128 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 11 of 22
31 December 2013 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
At the C1/C2 level, grammatical accuracy and fluency come very much into play. Are you close to flawless and fluent on the Platiquemos drills? If not, course-wise, I can see value bringing up those key speaking skills.

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3911 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 12 of 22
31 December 2013 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
I think I am pretty good on Platiquemos drills.

However, when I read an article in a quality paper or a good book I say to myself: "Damn, how eloquent and well-written, wish I could express myself with such subtle style." Or when I read a leaflet published by the Hungarian embassy in Madrid about the requirements and the procedure of applying for Hungarian citizenship, then I had to admit to myself "If they gave me the original text in Hungarian I couldn't translate it to Spanish using the correct terminology."

2 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4213 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 13 of 22
01 January 2014 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
I am not sure if C2 even requires that the candidate be able to write texts in ver high
registers, for example penal law, but I think that it would be very nice to be able to
write as such. I would rather do this than learn slang. I was looking at, for example,
at 01-16/093226.html">La Ciudadanía Chilena, an excerpt:

3 º.- Los extranjeros que obtuvieren carta de nacionalización en conformidad a la
ley, y
4 º.- Los que obtuvieren especial gracia de nacionalización por ley.
La ley reglamentará los procedimientos de opción por la nacionalidad chilena; de
otorgamiento, negativa y cancelación de las cartas de nacionalización, y la formación
de un registro de todos estos actos.

Such language with a very high register looks and sounds quite eloquent, and perhaps a
C2 could draft such a text, understand it definitely, but to draft it with precise
wording in such a register is definitely a sign of approaching native level. However,
none of my C2 books if I remember correctly, seem to teach this subject.

I was also looking at obtaining Spanish citizenship several years ago. The register is
not as high as the Chilean citizenship webpage:

http://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Satellite/es/1215198282620/Es
tructuraOrganica.html

Probably a C2 could do this, but still the register is higher than most occasions.

I never had this book, but it looks good, if anyone has it, how do they like it for
C1/C2?

pr%C3%A1ctica/dp/8467521090/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=138861416 9&sr=8-
1&keywords=c2+espanol">http://www.amazon.es/Gram%C3%A1tica-u so-del-espa%C3%B1ol-
pr%C3%A1ctica/dp/8467521090/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=138861416 9&sr=8-
1&keywords=c2+espanol

N.B.: I have no idea what is wrong with the link feature..

Edited by 1e4e6 on 01 January 2014 at 11:18pm

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3911 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 

Message 14 of 22
02 January 2014 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
Thanks. Well, I could translate the Chilean text to my native language without recurring to a dictionary and actually quite easily. However, I am afraid I couldn't do it the other way round, or at least my translation would be somewhat less eloquent and precise.

I could translate the Spanish citizenship text from Hungarian to Spanish, but probably couldn't draft a text like that on my own.

Edited by Hungringo on 02 January 2014 at 12:46am

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4213 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 15 of 22
02 January 2014 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
That is the problem, to use Spanish to draft a legislative piece, or whatever it is
called, with each word in a perfect and accurate position to sound proper and eloquent.
But again, I doubt that this is required very often. Also note that in those
citizenship legislation texts, the future subjunctive is employed quite often.

A C2 should be able to use, write, and speak any grammatical construction (nouns,
verbs, conjugations, adjectives, idiomatic constructions, etc.) tense, any conjugation,
regular or
irregular, perhaps even the future subjunctive for those legal topics, which is not
even that difficult, especially for those who know Portuguese. I recommend to buy one
of those método books, with a level C activies book. If you have more money, buy
as many C2, or combination C1/C2 (but only C1 if it includes C2 as well) that you think
that you can afford without being excessive.

I actually am probably in the same situation as you, because I want to be C2 as well,
and I need more books as well.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 02 January 2014 at 1:25am

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3911 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 

Message 16 of 22
02 January 2014 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
I wonder if practice books and extensive reading would take me gradually and naturally to C2, or perhaps first time in my life I should hire a professional teacher?

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version