Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
29 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6084 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 17 of 29
14 April 2010 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Today I finished the first CD of the course. I am really enjoying Polish. It's a very nice language to speak and it just seems natural to flow out of my mouth (all Slavic languages just seem like this to me, I guess). I am also having a lot easier time with the pronunciation of Polish than I have had when I try to read in Czech. The long syllables and the stress on the first syllable always throws me off. In Polish it's easier because it's on the penultimate syllable, which is a lot easier for me.

VOCABULARY
-cja words = -tion words (with some exceptions)
daleko = far
wszystko = everything
rozumieć = to understand
dobrze = well

EXAMPLE SENTENCES
Informacja jest tutaj, ale restauracja jest daleko. = The information desk is here, but the restaurant is far.

Gdzie jest wszystko? To jest tam. = Where is everything? It's there.

Nie rozumiem dlaczego pani nie umie jeszcze dobrze gotować. = I don't understand why you [female] still don't know how to cook well.

For that last sentence, I think that is the correct word order, but correct me if I'm wrong. Dziękuję!
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5406 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 18 of 29
14 April 2010 at 4:17am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Nie rozumiem dlaczego pani nie umie jeszcze dobrze gotować. = I don't understand why you [female] still don't know how to cook well.

For that last sentence, I think that is the correct word order, but correct me if I'm wrong. Dziękuję!

I'd probably put "jeszcze" before "nie umie", but this is the man who didn't know the vocative of his own name so you might be wise to wait for Kubelek or another native speaker! I hope you stick with Polish - it's such a great language.

Kubelek
Tetraglot
Switzerland
chomikuj.pl/Kuba_wal
Joined 6794 days ago

415 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 19 of 29
14 April 2010 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
I'd probably put "jeszcze" before "nie umie", but this is the man who didn't know the vocative of his own name so you might be wise to wait for Kubelek or another native speaker! I hope you stick with Polish - it's such a great language.

Both are fine, changing the position of jeszcze in this sentence doesn't really change the meaning. You could say it as you suggest, and put a lot of emphasis on 'jeszcze', but if said casually both mean the same thing.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6084 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian

Message 20 of 29
15 April 2010 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
I had issues with my iPod today and thus couldn't listen to Polish while riding my bike to and from school today. In the morning, my iPod just wouldn't turn on for some reason, but then in the afternoon when it did turn on, it turned out that it wouldn't have mattered anyways because I had forgotten to put the new CD on there (I ended up listening to Swedish instead)... Not wanting to get behind on my little-bit-a-day project, plus the fact that Slavic languages are horribly addicting for me, I set aside a small bit of time to listen to a couple lessons.

I can't believe how much progress I feel like I'm making in such a small amount of time--only about an hour and twenty minutes of actual study! However, I think this is how one always feels when just starting a new language because you go from understanding nothing (or perhaps some because of intelligibility from related languages) to understanding stuff, which is very exciting.

VOCABULARY
zaczynać - to begin, start
właśnie - just
teraz - now
że - that
wiem/wie = I know/you know

EXAMPLE SENTENCES
Dlaczego pan jeszcze tego nie zaczyna? = Why aren't you [male] starting it yet?

Rozumiem że pani umie dobrze gotować. = I understand that you [female] can cook well.

Rozumiem że pani właśnie teraz zaczyna to robić. = I understand that you [female] are just beginning to do it now.

Pan wie to dobrze. = You [male] know it well.

Wiem to już. = I know it already.

(I made this next sentence up myself, so correct me if it's wrong.)
Wiem już gdzie jest teatr.

(And finally...)

To wszystko. Dobranoc!

--Filip
P.S. Kocham polski język!

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5406 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 21 of 29
15 April 2010 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:

Kocham jezyk polski. Sometimes Polish adjectives go after the noun they modify (I'm SURE
I'm
right about this one!)

Edited by TixhiiDon on 15 April 2010 at 7:16am

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5423 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 22 of 29
16 April 2010 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
ellasevia wrote:

Kocham jezyk polski. Sometimes Polish adjectives go after the noun they modify (I'm SURE
I'm
right about this one!)

I think this is right too. It's unlike Russian, where the adjective goes BEFORE the noun.

Edited by ruskivyetr on 16 April 2010 at 12:30am

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6084 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 23 of 29
16 April 2010 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
No time for Polish today, unfortunately.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6084 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 24 of 29
23 April 2010 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
It's been a long time since I've written here... I have been continuing with Polish and am about halfway through the third CD of Michel Thomas. I have therefore learned many new vocabulary words and constructions, but do not have the time nor the motivation right now to go back and list them here. Tomorrow I'll post in more detail, complete with some exciting example sentences.

I also thought I should mention that I went on a bit of a shopping frenzy last Saturday and bought many Teach Yourself courses, one of which was for Polish. However, it has yet to arrive.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version