Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
29 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6085 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 25 of 29
24 April 2010 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
Sadness. I lied again, I guess I'll do a big amazing post either tomorrow or Sunday. However, I can say truthfully that I did do some Polish listening today. I'm almost done with CD3, just a few more lessons.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kubelek
Tetraglot
Switzerland
chomikuj.pl/Kuba_wal
Joined 6795 days ago

415 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 26 of 29
29 April 2010 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
As long as you're enjoying it it doesn't really matter how fast you're going.

Good luck :)

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5352 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 27 of 29
29 April 2010 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Hi !

I read your log and it's really interesting ! I've been in Poland in January, in a polish family, around 10 days. I hadn't time to learn some basis of the language, even not "yes" and "no" (I know...). There, I learned a few word like tak, nie, dzenkuje (ouf, sorry for the spelling !) and mleko (it stucked in my head!) and after a few days I could understand a little bit.

I won't pick up polish yet, because I've a lot to do with my Hungarian (by the way, when I was in Poland, I really had to make efforts to pronunce de sz = sh, and s = ss/c, and not sz = ss,c / s = sh, like in Hungarian), but it's interesting to see some vocabulary.

When I was there, I noticed that Polish sounded a lot like a mix of Portuguese and Russian. Does it sound the same for you ?

And since your studying German too : here a little phrase the son said to me, that I just found too cute :

Ja nie sprechen po-Deutsch

Good luck with you studies !

Zosia

Kubelek
Tetraglot
Switzerland
chomikuj.pl/Kuba_wal
Joined 6795 days ago

415 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 28 of 29
30 April 2010 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
you can hear 'szprechać' sometimes in jokes, usually as 'szprechać po niemiecku".

I agree, Portuguese sounds similar to me as well.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6085 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 29 of 29
16 May 2010 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Oh dear. It's been a VERY long time since last I posted here. Polish hasn't been my biggest priority. I have finished up through the fourth CD, but unfortunately the fifth one has some issues. Here is what I wrote in my main log concerning the end of my Polish dabbling:

I wrote:
I would also like to announce that I think I am going to stop dabbling in Polish (for now at least). I think the MT course is actually very good, but because of my inconsistency of studying, I keep on forgetting words and some grammar (but on the whole, I'm retaining the grammar pretty well). In addition to this, the fifth CD seems to have a lot of weird glitches in it, which is making it skip back and forth through random material, have blank sections, and just go crazy in general. This is unfortunate, because I really would have liked to continue through to the end and get a more accurate idea of how far the course alone can bring you. However, I am glad that I have participated in this experiment for three reasons:
1. I have enjoyed learning more about the Polish language, which I did not really know much about before, and also comparing it to other Slavic language I want to learn, like Czech and Russian.
2. It has opened another option to me for the future. Whereas I was planning on studying only Czech for my West Slavic language, I am now leaving Polish as an option as well. I might decide to study it instead of Polish in fact (or both).
3. It has kept up my motivation for learning Slavic languages. After I had to drop Russian, I got a bit depressed about them and didn't have much motivation. Now (well, since Christmas approximately) I feel really excited and passionate about them and can't wait until July to start Russian. :)

In a bit more detail, I have learned most or all of the pronouns, how to conjugate several different types of verbs, some prepositions and cases, some time expressions, and a surprising amount of vocabulary.

Perhaps I should have used Anki to review vocabulary...and gotten a good version of the course so that I wouldn't have had to deal with the confusing things going on during the 5th CD...

As of now, this challenge is unfortunately over. Perhaps I will resume it again later.

Do widzenia i dziękuję bardzo.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version