Pentaglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5126 days ago

103 posts - 157 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, French, SpanishB2, Portuguese

Message 33 of 49
18 April 2011 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Hi there,

I’m just done talking via Livemocha with a new Paraguayan friend :)
My Spanish is not as good as I thought it was, but I could eventually kept a conversation
going on for about one hour! I could basically understand everything and the girl told me
my Spanish is “genial”, which is good :)
During these past days I couldn’t completely stick to my new plan, but, however, I kept
watching movies and listening to my podcast as always. I’m going to read and listen to
some HP later at night, I’ll take my time :)
And I think I’ll write something now, but I need a topic first… any suggestion?!

1 person has voted this message useful

Fabrizio
Pentaglot
Joined 5126 days ago

103 posts - 157 votes 

Message 34 of 49
18 April 2011 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Here is my first (very) short composition:

http://lang-8.com/253187/journals/893853/Sobre-mi-experienci a-con-el-Afrikaans

Edited by Fabrizio on 18 April 2011 at 9:42pm

vanillabean
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4952 days ago

53 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 35 of 49
07 May 2011 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
Nice job - are you finding lang-8 helpful? I posted a few times on there and then started using lenguajero,
although they both have their good points and bad points. I've wanted to try LiveMocha but I'm scared that my
Spanish knowledge is SO low I will just embarrass myself... haha... I guess I just need to do it. I think your Spanish
is pretty awesome considering how long you've been studying. I can't wait to start Italian once I have a good grip
on Spanish =)

Fabrizio
Pentaglot
Joined 5126 days ago

103 posts - 157 votes 

Message 36 of 49
09 May 2011 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone,

I just went through the umpteenth mock test and, in all honesty, I’m only partially
satisfied with myself:

- Reading Comprehension: 83% (83%)*
- Listening Comprehension: 83% (92%)
- Grammar and Vocabulary: 85% (85%)

* In brackets the percentage of correct answers of the previous test I took more or
less one month ago.

As you can see, a general worsening I would say, but I still virtually passed the test,
so I guess I should be happy…

I didn’t eventually updated my log as I was aiming to do, but I seriously couldn’t make
it, I apologize. Notwithstanding, I basically stuck to the plan and I considerably
increased my exposure time to the language - an average of about 4 hours a day. I’m not
making use of Lang-8 actually, as I rather prefer practicing on chat and Livemocha.
Every now and then I also engage in conversations with Spanish speaking people from all
over the world using Skype and Livemocha again. I gave up on HP, I think I hate it.

I think I’m getting better, but I still feel ensure when it comes to write formal
texts/letters. I should have practiced more this aspect of the language, but in all
honesty it bores me tremendously, and I rather prefer doing “something else” (watching
movies, speaking and chatting informally with foreigners, etc.) than doing “nothing”.
Luckily for me, my weakest points (writing and, to a certain extent, speaking) are
grouped together with my strongest ones (reading and listening), so I think I’ll be
able to compensate somehow and eventually reach that 70% of right answers I need to get
in each section in order to be successful.

I’m going to work harder this last week, keep your fingers crossed!

@Vanillabean:
Thank you very much, you always have good words for me :)
Learning Italian is going to be a piece of cake once you’ll have mastered Spanish,
trust me! Livemocha is a good place where practicing your language and believe me,
there’s not reason to be ashamed of your current abilities. Just go there, break the
ice and start talking randomly with someone :)

Edited by Fabrizio on 09 May 2011 at 1:55pm

Fabrizio
Pentaglot
Joined 5126 days ago

103 posts - 157 votes 

Message 37 of 49
19 May 2011 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Alright, tomorrow is the big day :)
I keep thinking I'm not ready enough, but I'll try my best anyway! Please, keep your
fingers crossed and wish me luck guys!

vanillabean
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4952 days ago

53 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 38 of 49
19 May 2011 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great. Keep us posted :)

Fabrizio
Pentaglot
Joined 5126 days ago

103 posts - 157 votes 

Message 39 of 49
21 May 2011 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,

This is my personal review of the DELE B2 Spanish language certification I sat
yesterday.

- Pruebas 1 y 2 (“reading comprehension” and “writing”)

2 hours is the time examinees have in order to complete this first part of the test. 20
minutes were, in my personal opinion, more than enough to read 4 shorts and easy
passages about literature, newspaper articles, interviews, etc and answer all the
subsequent 12 questions – which were, by the way, absolutely unambiguous and rather
pretty straightforward. The remaining 1h 40mins is indeed enough to write down 2 short
essays. What really surprised me was that the candidate could chose between 4 different
options (2 different topics for each essay) and the length of the articles: only 150-
200 words (which is nothing compared to, for example, the TOEFL ibt test where you are
given only 1 topic for each essay and it must be of about 300 or more words).
Moreover, the given topics were way less complex than I thought – in my case, “write an
informal letter to a friend and tell him about a concert you’ve been to” and “write a
short essay about an article of clothing you are/were particularly fond”.
To summarize, this first part was fairly straightforward. I didn’t get exhausted as it
has happened in past times while sitting other language certifications.

- Pruebas 3 y 4 (“listening comprehension” and “grammar and vocabulary”)

The listening comprehension was pretty easy as well: 4 shorts listening passages about
everyday topics (art, sciences, culture and traditions, etc) and 12 questions. Nothing
really hard if you can keep up the speed of the spoken language. Many candidates
complained about the lack of use of proper equipment such as headphones; I do honestly
believe this might be a problem depending on where you take sit in the room. As for the
“grammar and vocabulary” section, 60 questions in 60 minutes seems me fair enough, but
candidates must not waste time and be quick answering.
To sum up, this second half of the test was pretty easy as well! As for the first part,
I didn’t get any strong headache… eheheh

- Prueba 5 (“speaking”)

This was probably the trickiest part of the whole test. Candidates have to chose a
topic over 3 possible choices and have 15 minutes to prepare their speech. I personally
went for this “media and communication” subject, which was of my personal interest and
competence. Subjects were of different kinds and probably more elaborated compared to
the ones in the previous sections (eg. tourism, politics, etc.), but still very
“manageable” since along with the topic itself a sort of outline, a path to follow, was
also given. After this first part of preparation, the actual oral test takes place: it
starts with simple questions about the candidate personal details (these questions are
not evaluated, of course) and then moves to the first half of the real test: the four
vignettes part. Many candidates – I include myself here – were quite amazed by the
incomprehensibility of the cartoons and, consequently, got into real trouble trying to
figuring out what was going on in the pictures. The final result was an absolutely bad
performance, which, luckily for me, was probably well compensated by the already
prepared and the free speech parts of the oral test. As for the examiners, everything
is pretty informal and the atmosphere is absolutely chilled.
To put in a nutshell, this last section of the test was the hardest one. You get to it
at the very end of the day and many candidates were indeed too tired to perform well.

As you probably already know if you’re thinking to go through the test, 70% is the mark
you need get in each group (“reading comprehension + writing” / “listening
comprehension + speaking” / “grammar and vocabulary”) in order to be successful. I
honestly believe I did I good job yesterday!

- Do you think you eventually passed the test? I think so, but I’ll need 3 months to be
sure of that since this is how long it will take to get the result. Golly gosh…

- Were 4 months enough to reach a B2 level? I believe so, especially if you already
speak another romance language and you don’t study any other idioms (if you look at the
first post of my log, I was also supposed to be tackling Japanese now, but…)

- What’s next? Eheheh… I’m going to sit the C1 level in November and soon start with
another language (probably my dear beloved Japanese), maybe two (hello
French/Portuguese).

Stay tuned :)

getreallanguage
Diglot
Argentina
youtube.com/getreall
Joined 5415 days ago

240 posts - 371 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Italian, Dutch

Message 40 of 49
21 May 2011 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
Ciao Fabrizio. Glad to see you did well on your test. Shoot me a message if you ever want to practice your Spanish. ¡La mejor de las suertes con tus estudios!

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version