Diglot
Canada
Joined 4673 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 9 of 115
13 October 2011 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
I know what you mean, I too have a habit of trying to build my vocabulary and sometimes I feel it may not be worth
all the trouble since you do learn vocabulary as you go. I especially question my wanting to learn words I hardly ever
use in french to begin with! I suppose a more intelligent approach would be to select first words that you often use
in your first language. Is there anything specific in grammar that you are running away from ;) ?
As for mandarin, I don't kid myself that I'll make any real progress, it's just that I wanted to fulfill an interest and
maybe I'll just build a little foundation for later when I decide to really pick it up.
1 person has voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5954 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 10 of 115
14 October 2011 at 8:09am | IP Logged 
I'm avoiding noun declensions like the plague. I think I'll approach them one case at a time.
Say the dative case, to really get familiar it, when to use, verb
governance and lots of practice, tests, sentence composition.
The sooner I face it the better!

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5415 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 11 of 115
14 October 2011 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
Mooby wrote:
At the moment I'm building my active vocabulary (an excuse to avoid grammar that I know
I'll have to face again very soon). I've got 1230 words in Anki. I have the bad habit of
checking loads of dictionaries (as well as google) to check the right definitions. This is slowing
me way down. Even slower is my habit of collecting synonyms - in the process of defining
one word I'll stumble across another (or three) and then feel obliged to Anki them all.
It probably stems from impatience to know all the minutiae at too early a stage, instead of getting
the broad picture.

Haha I do the same thing. Whilst reading if I come across a word that I don't know I'll write it down and then look
it up later to add to anki. However now I'm in the habit of say if it's an adjective, I'll then go and find some
synonyms, the related noun, verb, adverb etc, perhaps an interesting looking word nearby catches my eye, and
then I'll add them all to anki. Seriously adding words to that program probably takes up atleast a good hour or
two of my time a week. But I do use it quite often and I really do like having my own personal, self made and
customised dictionary at hand whenever I need it.

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4673 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 12 of 115
15 October 2011 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
Mooby : I would recommend starting with the instrumental case as it's not very complicated and lets you use
simple phrases, ones using the verb to be (być) and the reflexive verbs (with się). That's the first I learned. I
would keep the dative and vocative for much later as they're not as useful. The locative is quite difficult too so I
would learn accusative and genitive before. Do it one step at a time too. And don't worry about mixing them up, I
know instrumental, accusative and genitive cases since many months and I still mix them up when I speak, all the
time.

As for me, I finished my third lesson and went to class which went great. I spoke a lot and felt kind of confident
(although my teacher constantly corrects me, which is great because that's how you learn). But it's a very casual
class, just talking, sometimes little exercises. She gave me the books she bought for me (of course I paid for
them). Two great dictionaries from PWN and two exercise books which look amazing :
Przygoda z gramatyką (Józef Pyzik) which covers all the cases and more with tons of drill like exercises,
and
Iść czy jechać? by the same author which covers all the verbs of motion with many explanations and many
drill like exercises (the second book is in polish and English at the same time).
I'll add both to my weekly routine. I think I'll start with the first one as it's more general. It will make a good
review of my knowledge of cases.

Edited by Homogenik on 15 October 2011 at 1:23am

Chung
Diglot
Joined 7005 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 13 of 115
15 October 2011 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
Those two books are excellent for extra practice. If nothing else, your ability to choose seemingly subconsciously the "right" inflection or verb of motion in subsequent usage of Polish will improve after working through their drills.

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4673 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 14 of 115
15 October 2011 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
great! thanks for the advice, I'm really looking forward to working through those books (that was so nerdish...) !

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5954 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 15 of 115
15 October 2011 at 7:59am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the drill book recommendations.
Drill, drill, drill....and when you've had enough....drill some more! That's the conclusion
that's slowly dawning on me. I'll have to take precautions though, to avoid the
'drill overkill' and mix in less intense activities, music, listening etc.
I'm actually looking forward to it so once I've got through my current vocabulary list
I'll take your advice and start on the instrumental case.

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4673 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 16 of 115
15 October 2011 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
And absolutely add more mellow stuff like you said : music, movies, casual listening. I recommend finding an
audiobook and listen to that once in a while. I found many here : http://peb.pl/audiobooki/

This discussion contains 115 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version