Diglot
Australia
Joined 5406 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 17 of 115
16 October 2011 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
Nice link there Homogenik, thanks for sharing that. As for music, know of any good bands/musicians? There are
only two that I've found at present who I really enjoy and who are really quite amazing. Those being Warsaw Village
Band and Fisz. Fisz being I guess you could say intelligent hip-hop, now I'm not usually a hip-hop fan but this guy
is pretty damn awesome. Also Warsaw Village Band are simply a brillant collective of musicians who play old style
Polish folk under a new light. Wonderful melodies and rhythms, beautiful stuff. I've added some links below if you
haven't heard them already.

Warsaw Village Band - Maydów

Warsaw Village Band - Poznałem

Fisz - Nie Bo Nie
1 person has voted this message useful

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4664 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 18 of 115
16 October 2011 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out. Personally, I love Brodka's last album so I would recommend that. It's
alternative pop music. Here are a few links to some music I listen to:
Broda, W pięciu smakach
Brodka, Krzyżówka dnia

Ewa Demarzcyk, Taki pejzaż

ONA, Niekochana

Goya, Smak słów

Robert Gawliński, Grzesznicy

Also I don't usually like hip hop but I love this song :
Sidney Polack, Chomiczówka

Edited by Homogenik on 16 October 2011 at 3:28pm

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4664 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 19 of 115
16 October 2011 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
I used to calculate the hours of study I put in everyday and write it in my notebook, but I stopped doing that. I
guess it was kind of a motivation but I could never do this kind of thing. I'm not so organized and some days are
"slumpy" and then things don't get done and it shows on the notebook where t's haven't been crossed. It went
well for a while but I decided to stop putting that pressure on myself. I guess what brought this on is the slump
I've been in since the beginning of autumn, but I don't think it's necessary to keep track of things that way. I
know many people do that and I think it's great to be so focused and organized, I just can't handle it for more
than a few weeks. The important thing is to be conscious that progress is being made. It doesn't become clear
everyday of course, but it's good to stand back after a while, weekly or whatever, and have consideration for the
work that has been accomplished. That alone can motivate to continue even though things aren't now moving as
fast as they previously were.

Yesterday I barely worked at all as I slept very badly and felt like a scarecrow hanging over everything. I still slept
badly last night so I don't think today will be much better but I'll still give it a go. I began working on my new
drill-book so I'll do that but also begin lesson 4 of my main course. I normally should finish it by friday (actually,
this should be the week of lesson 5...).

Edited by Homogenik on 16 October 2011 at 3:48pm

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4664 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 20 of 115
17 October 2011 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
Ok, I know I'm crazy as I'm about to do exactly the opposite of what I said yesterday ; it's the bipolar in me. I
decided to try and keep a
study chart. It looks like this:

Polski
- Hurra po polsku
- Drills
- Assimil
- Book2
- Flash

普通话 (mandarin)
- Pimsleur
- 汉字 (characters)
- Assimil

I can't wait to fill out my chart.

Edited by Homogenik on 17 October 2011 at 4:46pm

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4664 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 21 of 115
19 October 2011 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
Lately my main course has been hard to get into. Every time I open my book it's like hitting a brick wall. So I
decided to work less on it and more on something else for a little while. I'm doing drills now instead and it's
going well. I suppose it's better to keep working at something and feeling like your making progress instead of
forcing yourself upon material you feel inapt with. Of course, that means I won't be able to keep my original plan
which was to finish one lesson each week. I'll do one lesson each two weeks instead, at least for the time being
(maybe I'll get tired of drills and want to go back more intensely to my main course, which is focused on
communication and not writing or drills). I was kind of happy to find out that the drill book I'm working with is
aimed at level B2/C1 students and I'm supposed to be only level A1 or A2. It's going well so I don't care.

As for my mandarin, I just started Pimsleur and I really enjoy it. I've been doing the first two lessons and I
succeed at more than 80% I'd say. I plan to do one a day, and then to do it a second time the next day. The day
after that, I'd do a new one and so on. If I have to repeat the lessons more often I'll just adjust as I go along.

Here's my work log for the past few days:

16/10
Polski
- Drills 60 min
普通话 (mandarin)
- Pimsleur 60 min

17/10
Polski
- Drills 120 min
- Assimil 15 min
普通话 (mandarin)
- 汉字 (characters) 20 min

18/10
Polski
- Hurra po polsku 60 min
- Drills 120 min
普通话 (mandarin)
- Pimsleur 60 min
- 汉字 (characters) 15 min

Edited by Homogenik on 19 October 2011 at 7:00pm

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5945 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 22 of 115
19 October 2011 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Ah, more drilling!
Something I'm still putting off till I've got through a vocabulary list I extracted
from reading 'Kubuś Puchatka' (Winnie the Pooh by AA Milne).
So well done, especially on tackling Hurra Po Polsku; did you say book 3?
I started book 1 and will get back to it soon, although I've got so many books I don't
know where to start sometimes. And I'm too easily distracted.
Liked listening to Brodka, and loved the surreal animation / artwork. There's something
definably Polish, or generally Slavic about it. Maybe that's too much to say, but the
dark sense of humour, folktale drama and outlandishness of it all reminds me of some of
the few artworks I've seen from the area.

Edited by Mooby on 19 October 2011 at 10:20pm

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4664 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 23 of 115
20 October 2011 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
Mooby : actually I'm done with level one (Podręcznik studenta and Zeszyt studenta) and began level 2 (which also
has two books). I understand your feeling distracted, I feel that way too sometimes.
I bought Brodka's cd when I was in Poland last year. I bought it only judging by the cover art and I ended up very
happily surprised of course! There's even a song in french on the cd which for a polish artist is kind of unusual.

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4664 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 24 of 115
21 October 2011 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
My log for yesterday :

19/10
Polski
- Drills 210 min

It's not very diversified but kind of intense... I finished the first chapter of my drill book, the one related to the
nominative case. Next up is genitive (and of course it's much longer and tougher... mmmouuuaahahahaha!!)

Edited by Homogenik on 21 October 2011 at 12:29am

This discussion contains 115 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version