Diglot
Canada
Joined 4664 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 33 of 115
01 December 2011 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
Well, november went away so I thought I'd recap a little. Judging from my study chart, my study time varies a lot,
but I'm not worried. I've started a new job and it takes up a lot of my time so that's probably why. I decided to
focus more on my core polish course and less on flashcards, drills, assimil or whatever else because I want to
progress in that more and as of now I am quite behind the schedule I originally set for myself. When I was doing
book one, I was finishing one lesson a week, at least (sometimes two). For the second level I am presently doing,
I find the lessons longer and harder and I can't always do one a week, so that was a disappointment... But I'm
getting over it. Whatever the time it takes, that's the time it takes. I've also been watching a lot of polish tv and
film this month and I didn't count it. I still don't understand much but it's fun (and without any subtitles). I'm
now at lesson 10 of my second level book (on a total of 20). I don't feel I've had any breakthrough though, so I'm
kind of longing for one... Also, I hadn't written my polish classes on my chart but I added them in the average
numbers below (4 lessons a month for 90 minutes each).
As for mandarin, it's been very slow going but that's what I set myself up for : a very slow going process. For a
few days now, I've been very regular with my Pimsleur though, and the fact is I really enjoy this method of
learning. I finished lesson 10 of Pimsleur I this morning and it's going well. I think I really love this language, it's
very musical. To do these lessons more often, I started including them in my daily chores. When I have cleaning
up to do, I put on my headphones and do a lesson. I wash the dishes, the tub, the floor or whatever and I just
breeze through both the chore and the lesson! Practical indeed. I'll try to keep this up. I never do two different
lessons a day, but sometimes I'll repeat the same lesson during the same day or the following one.
Anyway, I counted my average study time for november (it is less than october so I'll have to do better next time
and get back to an average of 2 hours of polish study a day):

November 2011
average total : 114 minutes a day
average polish : 95,3 minutes a day
average mandarin : 18,5 minutes a day
total minutes of study : 3415 minutes

and here are the entries I forgot to post...

08/11
-brak, nothing

09/11
Polish
- Hurra 60 min
Mandarin
- Pimsleur 30 min

10/11
Polish
- Hurra 120 min

11/11
Polish
- Hurra 50 min
- Flashcards 20 min

12/11
Mandarin
- Characters 60 min

13/11
Polish
- Hurra 120 min

14/11
Polish
- Hurra 100 min
- Flashcards 50 min
Mandarin
- Pimsleur 30 min
- Characters 10 min
- Assimil 25 min

15/11
Polish
- Hurra 130 min
- Flashcards 30 min
Mandarin
- Pimsleur 30 min
- Characters 30 min

16/11
Polish
- Hurra 120 min
Mandarin
- Characters 15 min

17/11
Polish
- Hurra 30 min
Mandarin
- Pimsleur 30 min

18/11
- brak, nothing

19/11
Mandarin
- Pimsleur 30 min

20/11
Polish
- Hurra 30 min

21/11
Polish
- Hurra 60 min

22/11
Polish
- Hurra 120 min
Mandarin
- Characters 15 min

23/11
Polish
- Hurra 60 min
- Flashcards 30 min

24/11
Polish
- Hurra 60 min

25/11
Polish
- Hurra 30 min

26/11
Polish
- Hurra 275 min
Mandarin
- Pimsleur 30 min

27/11
Polish
- Hurra 110 min
- Flashcards 40 min
Mandarin
- Pimsleur 30 min

28/11
Polish
- Hurra 70 min
Mandarin
- Pimsleur 30 min

29/11
Polish
- Hurra 85 min
- Flashcards 30 min
Mandarin
- Pimsleur 30 min

30/11
Mandarin
- Pimsleur 60 min
- Characters 10 min

Edited by Homogenik on 01 December 2011 at 6:44pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4664 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 34 of 115
02 January 2012 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
Well I've joined the TAC 2012 Polish Team Żubr so I will be updating this log more often I hope and also I will set
myself some goals for the year. The coming weeks are very busy because of work but I'll make time. December
hasn't been very productive, sadly, but hopefully january will be better.

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5807 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 115
06 January 2012 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
I hope January is better. I'm glad we have a good team here and that should encourage all of us. The links and resources you have listed here in you log look very helpful. I'm having a difficult time locating quality low-cost learning materials, but I think I have enough to get started. Polish and Mandarin at the same time is very ambitious! Welcome to the bison bunch!

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4664 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 36 of 115
14 January 2012 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
Thanks!
January is already well started and I'm lagging behind but I'm starting to find some balance now with my job so I
should be able to get back to languages in a more serious way. I'll post more details soon as I have made a tally of
my december progress. I know that I have studied much less but I expected this to happen. I think it's around 60
minutes of polish a day so it's still good but it's a far cry from my 2 hours a day of october or november... But I'm
not worried, it'll pick up. I also adapted my log sheet (it basically reads like a calendar), and I print one every month,
write the total minutes I have done each month and make an average. Hopefully the current lull will motivate me to
double the efforts. I'm now finishing lesson 13 of my second book so it's good (and my learning doesn't face any
particular difficulties right now, except the usual).

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4664 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 37 of 115
16 January 2012 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
Okej, oto są moje rezultaty studiów :

for november :
average polish : 95,3 min/day
average chinese : 18,5 min/day
average total : 114 min/day
total minutes : 3415

for december :
average polish : 63 min/day
average chinese : 21 min/day
average total : 84 min/day
total minutes : 2610

Analysis : I've constantly dropped the number of polish study time ever since I started to take note of it, so that
has to change. Especially since december saw a huge drop in minutes of study... Something to keep in mind... I'll
try and bring that average back to 90 min/day at least for
january.

Edited by Homogenik on 16 January 2012 at 4:14pm

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4664 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 38 of 115
31 January 2012 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
No, już koniec styczniu! Był bardzo trudny miesiąc i naprawdę nie dobrze się nauczyłem... Nie jestem zadowolony o
siebie, absolutnie nie. Miałem zbyt dużo pracy... Ale jeszcze mam nadzieję, że będę mógł kończyć książkę drugą
przed marcem, bo mam tylko cztery lekcji do zrobienia : jedna w tygodniu, to jest możliwe... Także muszę kupić
bilety do lotnicze na podróż do Polski w przyszłe lato...

It's already the end of january! It was a really difficult month and I really didn't study well... I'm not satisfied at all. I
had too much work... But I still have hope that I'll be able to finish my second book before march because I only
have 4 lessons left in it : one each week, it's still possible... I must also purchase my airplane tickets for my trip to
Poland next summer...

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5406 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 39 of 115
31 January 2012 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
Jedzisz do Polski! Jak ekscytujący! Już wiesz które miejsca i miasta idziesz zwiedzać? Planujesz kupić wiele polskich
książek? Jak długo idziesz? Przepraszam za wszystko pytania, ale jest wiadomość bardzo ekscytująncą.
Także nie mogę wierszyć, że mogłem czytać co napisałeś po polsku! (I hope what I wrote was understandable)

Have fun organising your trip and good luck with the new month!

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4664 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 40 of 115
05 February 2012 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
Tak, pojadę do Polski w sierpniu, aż uczyć się polskiego w intensywnym kursie. Mam nadzieję, że wszystko
będzie okej. Będę mieszkał w małej rodzinie podczas mój podróż, więc to musiłoby być bardzo produktywne.

Yes, I'll be going to Poland in august in order to study polish in an intensive course. I hope it will all go well. For
the duration of my stay, I'll live with a nice family so it should be very productive.

February started well for me, I'm studying regularly and without much problems. My chinese Pimsleur is really
becoming difficult though. As for polish, I'm trying to finish volume 2 of my Hurra series this month! I'm doing
lesson 16 now (out of 20) so it's not an impossible task. I'm trying to study more in the bus because I can easily
do 20-30 minutes more a day like this (otherwise, the bus is just wasted time).

My rates
for january :
average polish : 58 min/day
average chinese : 12 min/day
average total : 70 min/day
total minutes : 2170

As I expected, things took a down turn, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be so it's still time to pick myself
up...

Edited by Homogenik on 05 February 2012 at 10:01pm

This discussion contains 115 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version